May 14, 2014 Stories
A family was playing in the yard one afternoon when tragedy struck, without warning. Although the experience was scary, it could have been so much worse if it werenít for a heroic dog named Chief.
We were playing tug-o-war in the backyard and Chief let go of the toy and lunged right at my feet, snarling so viciously I was scared of him. I stumbled back, fell on my rump, and by the time I looked back at Chief, he was whipping a long, thin thing back and forth violently.
This was the snake that was hiding in the grass, ready to attack.
Chief didnít hesitate attacking the serpent. The rattlesnake landed a bite, and the venom was fast-acting. Look how much he swelled up.
The heroic dog didnít want to be touched, and was panicking.
Once the family realized it was an Eastern Diamondback snake, they rushed frantically to the vet.
He had to be carried to the car. ďThankfully, the ER Vet had anti-venom/antivenin on hand. Iím not sure he would have made it without it. It ran $780 for one vial so Iím grateful he didnít need a second dose.Ē
ďThe ER found more snake bites on him but they think they were dry bites Ė where the snake didnít inject venom when it struck. He was even more lucky because the snake struck the bony part of his muzzle which meant the fangs glanced off instead of really sinking in.Ē
This is what Chief looked like before the bite (a true hero).
This is what the dogís owner learned from this scary experience:
1. You can get a rattle-snake bite vaccine for about $25. If you live in an area with these critters, get it!
2. While not popular, there is snake-aversion training for dogs. If you live in an area with several varieties of venomous snakes and your dog has a history of going after them, you might consider this.
3. Getting the dog to the vet within an hour of the bite is crucial! The faster you can get the anti-venom in them, the better.
4. Love your dogs. They will make unbelievable sacrifices for you.
Read more at http://www.viralnova.com/dog-saves-o...MAYY73KjYpG.99