Thread: Seeking Advice

Seeking Advice

I leave the house at 6:40 a.m. and return around 4 p.m. . No one's home . Can I leave the mixed chihuahua outside for that long? What should I do?

Absolutely not a good idea, in general.

Where do you live? Why not leave the dog inside during the day? Is this a dog you already own? How old is it? What kind of training does it have? What is its current routine? Where do you lvd, city, suburbs, country, what's the climate like?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Absolutely not a good idea, in general.

Where do you live? Why not leave the dog inside during the day? Is this a dog you already own? How old is it? What kind of training does it have? What is its current routine? Where do you lvd, city, suburbs, country, what's the climate like?
    Live in Oklahoma,
    Not home till later in afternoon
    Own this dog currently
    Adopted him on 05/20/16
    About 6 months
    Every 2 hours or so , it goes outside . Doesn't pee or poop much when we let him out & if I'm not outside, it'll stand at the door begging to be let in even if you just put him outside .
    Live in the city
    Climate is bipolar, not too hot on some days and other days it's chilly

Quote Originally Posted by kellyy_voo View Post
    Live in Oklahoma,
    Not home till later in afternoon
    Own this dog currently
    Adopted him on 05/20/16
    About 6 months
    Every 2 hours or so , it goes outside . Doesn't pee or poop much when we let him out & if I'm not outside, it'll stand at the door begging to be let in even if you just put him outside .
    Live in the city
    Climate is bipolar, not too hot on some days and other days it's chilly
    So definitely not safe to leave him outside, he is young, and small, and vulnerable to climate and predators. Can you work him up to longer and longer periods between "outside" trips? Leaving him inside, even in a confined area or crate, would b e much safer and kinder. Some toys, some water - and pee pads if necessary. Is there anyone nearby you know who could come let him out mid-day each day? A neighbor or friend or dog-walker? Or someone who lives nearby he could stay with days?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    So definitely not safe to leave him outside, he is young, and small, and vulnerable to climate and predators. Can you work him up to longer and longer periods between "outside" trips? Leaving him inside, even in a confined area or crate, would b e much safer and kinder. Some toys, some water - and pee pads if necessary. Is there anyone nearby you know who could come let him out mid-day each day? A neighbor or friend or dog-walker? Or someone who lives nearby he could stay with days?
    There's no one .

Absolutely NOT. This little dog would be stolen, or caught by a passing hawk or other bird of prey.

Leave inside. You can gate him in the kitchen, leave water, toys, pee pads, soft bed.

I have to add, this question is so bizarre I am wondering if this is serious ...
    Thank you Karen, for fixing my siggy!

I read the post 3 times to make sure I was reading and taking everything right way---I too found this a bit off the wall and wondered if it was maybe a joke... I guess I must be on the same wavelength as Freedom

I do not leave any dog outside alone period. Just like I wouldn't have put my children outside the same applied to the dogs.

Freedom gave you the right thing to do---this is a baby and has to be treated accordingly--try to find someone who would be willing to come in and check on the pup at least mid day---
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by kellyy_voo View Post
    There's no one .
    Maybe if you are new to the neighborhood, ask around - some older person may be home and welcome an excuse to get out for a walk during the mid-day, etc. Contact your local high school, see if they have a volunteer program for high school students that might know of a willing, responsible kid, etc. The dog is still a baby, maybe this could be a summer "job" for some kid, and by fall, the pup would be more grown up and able to hold it longer.
    I've Been Frosted

Just to echo the others, leaving a pup outside in Okie is a bad idea.

Confine him to a room and pee pad(s), bedding, etc. is the best bet. Lots of critters in Okie who would see a small pup as dinner.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I think in this case crating him would be a better idea unless hes trust worthy in the house alone. its better than him being left outside unattended an getting attacked/ate by some wild animal or stolen by someone who wants the dog for who knows what reason/s. that goes for any size dog. not just Chihs.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I have to add, this question is so bizarre I am wondering if this is serious ...
    my thoughts too
    ڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
    ~ ~ R. I. P Kirby 9/24/99 - 3/3/14 ~ ~
    ~* * * Website* * *~

~○~♥----------♥---~○♥○~------♥----------♥~○~

╔╦╦
    ╠╬╬╬╣
    ╠╬╬╬╣OKAY! WHO ATE MY
    ╠╬╬╬╣CHOCOLATE!!
    ╚╩╩╩╝

« http://www.off-white.eu/ »