Thread: pups and working

pups and working

I was told not to get a puppy because I go to school for 8 hours most days and after that I plan to be working 8 hours. I'm positive people have puppies and work full time as well. I'm wondering how you go about it. I've never been in the situation where someone wasn't home and now I am. I'm hoping to get a job near by, but that's not guaranteed. School is too far to come home at lunch and have any time to walk the pup. As of right now my mother checks in once or twice a week to let Clover out for pees. I'm open to suggestions. Not interested in leaving it at a kennel all day.

Zeke, Clover, Loki, Shadow and Pixel

I would probably wait until you are finished with school and see if you DO get a job close enough that you could go home at lunch.

Do you have family/friends that live close that would come by? Or even be a pet sitter during the day until pup is old enough? Like puppy daycare!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog/Pit Mix)

I'll likely be getting it in the summer when I have a job, but I've only finished 1 year at the point and doubt I'll get the job I want anyway. I'm going to see about family or my neighbor maybe. How old before they can stay home alone for longer periods?

I don't know how other people do it. but what I did for Jasper was dog-proof a room to the best of my ability, give him a stuffed Kong, then leave for increasing periods of time. It was a journey of discovery...things he could get into that I never thought of, my dog-proofing became more tailored as time went on. I eventually expanded his space until he had the run of the house.

Now, he still gets into things if I'm not careful enough, but we've got a pretty good routine I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    I'll likely be getting it in the summer when I have a job, but I've only finished 1 year at the point and doubt I'll get the job I want anyway. I'm going to see about family or my neighbor maybe. How old before they can stay home alone for longer periods?
    What she said above! And it really just depends on the dog. Every dog is different. It was YEARS before I left Zoee and Taggart loose in the house and not in the crate or bathroom. It was only months before I left Zeplyn out in the house. You just have to see how your dog is and go by that.
    Taggart always had a bladder of steel from day one (we got him at 6 months old). Zeplyn had some accidents, but she did well going long periods too (she was 8 months old).
    I feel like Zoee had a bladder the size of a pea, even up to her death at almost 10. She didn't have accidents, but she always had to go.

Good luck, and I can't wait to see your new puppers!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog/Pit Mix)

Thanks for the advice. I think I should have the option of leaving her with my dad or mom or my boyfriends parents until she's old enough to go longer at home. I was thinking if I got the job near by here I'd leave later in the morning, come by for lunch, and get my boyfriend to leave early for work so there is only a few hours the pup would be alone. I know I can work sometime out, it frustrates me that other peoples advice was to not get a puppy. I could get an older dog but at this point I want a puppy. Clover doesn't get along with some older dogs, and they are usually set in their ways so for me at this time a pup would be best. Clover is lonely for another dog she can play with and get along with. I will do what it takes to be sure the pup isn't left alone until she's old enough I don't think the other people get that.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    I don't know how other people do it. but what I did for Jasper was dog-proof a room to the best of my ability, give him a stuffed Kong, then leave for increasing periods of time. It was a journey of discovery...things he could get into that I never thought of, my dog-proofing became more tailored as time went on. I eventually expanded his space until he had the run of the house.

Now, he still gets into things if I'm not careful enough, but we've got a pretty good routine I think.
    No matter how hard we try, Angel has a habit of proving how well we DON'T dog proof if she gets in a real snit.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.