Thread: New York Times: The World is Full of Dogs Without Collars

New York Times: The World is Full of Dogs Without Collars

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (19482015), Sourcery

An interesting study, and fascinating topic. They are not strays, all of them, but i bet they are a necessary part of the ecosystem, as the scavengers and survivors they are.
    I've Been Frosted

The Times article is interesting but, I just wonder what effect all the time & money spent on these interviews & studies would have on over population
    problems (worldwide) if spent instead on spay & neuter programs worldwide. It's very sad to think of all the pain & misery caused by animals being born only
    to die horrible deaths.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    The Times article is interesting but, I just wonder what effect all the time & money spent on these interviews & studies would have on over population
    problems (worldwide) if spent instead on spay & neuter programs worldwide. It's very sad to think of all the pain & misery caused by animals being born only
    to die horrible deaths.
    But is it not worth the scientific knowledge to do the studies? Would you rather we not know? In the cities where dogs live off garbage, would you prefer rats do it instead? And yes some live short lives, but that is true of any non-domesticated animal.
    I've Been Frosted

Studies are fine as far as that goes but I'd rather see much more of interventions like this one in Costa Rica for example.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...BsqdVt#image=1

I believe the dog in frame 5 to be the same dog shown in frame 10, or I hope it is the same dog.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt