Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Olde English Bulldog growling over toys and bed

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Olde English Bulldog growling over toys and bed

    My male Olde has become very aggressive with certain things for example I just bought him a new bed he hasn't had one since he was a few months old, he is a little over a year, well he stands guard and growls at me and my family and if we get too close he shows his teeth and growls louder. we have to distract distract him to get it away from him so he will behave. What should we do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    35,331
    Has Olde had any obedience training? What commands does he know? He is kind of in that terrible teenager stage where he's challenging boundaries ... Also, just curious, is he neutered?
    I've Been Frosted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rhode Island; USA
    Posts
    16,496
    This needs to be addressed quickly before it becomes his norm for behavior. He is resource guarding.

    Please seek out some local obedience training classes and sign him up! You want a place which teaches positive reinforcement. You can find one here:
    http://www.apdt.com/petowners/choose...nersearch.aspx

    Everyone in the family, ages 8 and older, must attend each and every class. In a one hour class, your dog does not learn much. The HUMANS learn how to read their dog's body language, and how to train. Homework and practices are critical between classes. Everyone attending class needs to do the homework and practices with the dog during the week, in between. In this way, each of you will be practicing working with the dog, and the dog will learn to bond with each of you and want to please each of you.

    It doesn't help if the dog only obeys Mom and no one else. This is why each person has to do the practices.

    Good for you to seek out help now, while this behavior is new. This is the beginning sign of a future bully (as in school yard bully), and it needs to be addressed. Being in rescue, I've taken in 2 bullies, thank goodness 2 years apart. It takes lots of time and patience to work the dog OUT of this behavior once it is ingrained. Please get to class NOW, while the dog is young and the behavior is new.

    I also suggest removing the bed for now, and toys ONLY come out during a play session, then they get put away again. If the dog won't engage in the play session, walk away and later once the dog has moved to something else and left the toy, pick it up and put it away. Doing these things will keep everyone safe until you can get to classes.

    Best wishes, and let us know how it goes!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    This needs to be addressed quickly before it becomes his norm for behavior. He is resource guarding.

    Please seek out some local obedience training classes and sign him up! You want a place which teaches positive reinforcement. You can find one here:
    http://www.apdt.com/petowners/choose...nersearch.aspx

    Everyone in the family, ages 8 and older, must attend each and every class. In a one hour class, your dog does not learn much. The HUMANS learn how to read their dog's body language, and how to train. Homework and practices are critical between classes. Everyone attending class needs to do the homework and practices with the dog during the week, in between. In this way, each of you will be practicing working with the dog, and the dog will learn to bond with each of you and want to please each of you.

    It doesn't help if the dog only obeys Mom and no one else. This is why each person has to do the practices.

    Good for you to seek out help now, while this behavior is new. This is the beginning sign of a future bully (as in school yard bully), and it needs to be addressed. Being in rescue, I've taken in 2 bullies, thank goodness 2 years apart. It takes lots of time and patience to work the dog OUT of this behavior once it is ingrained. Please get to class NOW, while the dog is young and the behavior is new.

    I also suggest removing the bed for now, and toys ONLY come out during a play session, then they get put away again. If the dog won't engage in the play session, walk away and later once the dog has moved to something else and left the toy, pick it up and put it away. Doing these things will keep everyone safe until you can get to classes.

    Best wishes, and let us know how it goes!
    Thank you soooo much!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rhode Island; USA
    Posts
    16,496
    Your welcome!

    Most places charge the class per dog, so there is no extra charge for the entire family to attend.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Your welcome!

    Most places charge the class per dog, so there is no extra charge for the entire family to attend.
    It happened again today with our house phone but worse. My kids were home alone with him and we had to rush home. He was finally done and went to his kennel. I am so scared he will hurt my kids.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Has Olde had any obedience training? What commands does he know? He is kind of in that terrible teenager stage where he's challenging boundaries ... Also, just curious, is he neutered?
    No he hasn't gone to any Obedience training as of yet but I am looking into some here in my area. And yes he was been neutered we did that when he was 6 months old.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com