Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Husky Owners - Need Training Tips

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    9,553

    Husky Owners - Need Training Tips

    Snow is a Husky mix as most of you know, well her Husky is showing bad LOL.

    She is the biggest pain in the butt I've ever had to deal with in my life, stubborn, vocal, and hard to train! I expected this, of course, but I didn't realize exactly how bad she'd be. Everyone in my house is fed up with her, and I've been trying and trying to get her to learn, but you know, she is stubborn and a Husky.

    So, anyone else that has a Husky (Amy, cyber_sibes, others) any training advice or what has worked well for your dogs? She may not really look like a Husky except her face and tail, but she sure acts like one!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Lilo [AUSSIE], Bailey [APBT]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥



    “Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”


    In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    35,304
    The trick to training a husky is simple in concept - be more stubborn than the husky, and match her energy! Harder done than said, though!

    Be consistent, and practice any command over and over until you are bored. Never, ever give in.

    Is she treat motivated, or toy motivated? What gets her excited?

    What in particular are you having trouble teaching her? And does anyone else in the family feed her, play with her or walk her?

    How much exercise does she get?
    I've Been Frosted

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    9,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The trick to training a husky is simple in concept - be more stubborn than the husky, and match her energy! Harder done than said, though!

    Be consistent, and practice any command over and over until you are bored. Never, ever give in.

    Is she treat motivated, or toy motivated? What gets her excited?

    What in particular are you having trouble teaching her? And does anyone else in the family feed her, play with her or walk her?

    How much exercise does she get?
    I'm a stubborn person, but Snow is the most annoying little varmint I've ever encountered LOL.

    I taught her sit no problem, she'll work for treats and gets excited over toys too.

    She does good with house training, but she hasn't learned to let me know when she's gotta go potty. I usually either catch her before she does it or have a mess to clean up. She doesn't listen to "no," she doesn't know when to be quiet, she acts like if she gets scolded for something it has no effect on her and she doesn't learn to do anything differently.

    She goes to the dog park a lot and runs off her energy, I swear I think she has some kind of terrier in her along with the Husky.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Lilo [AUSSIE], Bailey [APBT]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥



    “Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”


    In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    35,304
    Make a schedule, if she tends to need to go out half an hour after she eats, *always* without fail take her out at that time, and when she poops outside, praise, praise, praise! You can attach a bell to a rope, and teach her to ring it when you catch her getting ready to go, when she rings the bell, she goes outside, and when she does her business, THEN she gets a treat and praise, praise praise!

    When are you using "No!" ? If it is used too much, it will have no meaning at all.

    As for barking, believe it or not, some people have luck in teaching a dog the command "speak" - and then it learns to bark when commanded to, but not otherwise. When does she bark that is inappropriate?

    What does she get scolded for?
    I've Been Frosted

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    9,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Make a schedule, if she tends to need to go out half an hour after she eats, *always* without fail take her out at that time, and when she poops outside, praise, praise, praise! You can attach a bell to a rope, and teach her to ring it when you catch her getting ready to go, when she rings the bell, she goes outside, and when she does her business, THEN she gets a treat and praise, praise praise!

    When are you using "No!" ? If it is used too much, it will have no meaning at all.

    As for barking, believe it or not, some people have luck in teaching a dog the command "speak" - and then it learns to bark when commanded to, but not otherwise. When does she bark that is inappropriate?

    What does she get scolded for?
    Her and Brennan are already on a potty schedule and I always tell her good girl when she goes potty, she just needs to associate the "I have to potty" with "I need to let mom know I need to go out" lol

    I tell her no when she's getting into stuff that she's not supposed to, when she's barking when she's not supposed to...

    Haha, I will try that. I've never had to teach a dog to speak before though, so we'll see how that goes . She barks whenever we have someone over at the house or if she thinks I'm in the kitchen getting ready to feed her when I'm really not because it's nowhere near her dinnertime. She barks at me when I stand up or when she's in her crate and the other dogs are loose

    She gets scolded for barking, getting into things, being too rough with the other dogs, pottying in the house, just basic things that any dog would get scolded for I guess?
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Lilo [AUSSIE], Bailey [APBT]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥



    “Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”


    In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    4,500
    Im sorry... i dont have anything to contribute but your posts made me laugh ^^
    i wish you an the dog the best of luck


    ~* * * Blog_ Dogster__Catster* * *~

    ~○~♥----------♥---~○♥○~------♥----------♥~○~
    ________________
    ________________________
    ____________


    « http://www.off-white.eu/ »

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    4,500
    I mean the post about her being Husky/Terrier cuz of the energy LOL


    ~* * * Blog_ Dogster__Catster* * *~

    ~○~♥----------♥---~○♥○~------♥----------♥~○~
    ________________
    ________________________
    ____________


    « http://www.off-white.eu/ »

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    5,535
    No self respecting husky is going to do anything just because you asked. They do not care about pleasing their owners. You need to make it worth her while to obey, more interesting than any other option. Huskies think, they problem solve, they weigh options. She may know exactly what you want her to do. That does not mean she will do it! This will never ever change. Training with a husky never stops. She'll be 14 years old & still actively ignoring you! She will sense your frustration & that will be the end of her cooperation!

    Try a nothing in life is free program. She's a working dog, she needs a job! Even working for her dinner!

    More exercise than you think is reasonable is probably almost enough! Exercise before a training session. A tired husky is a relatively cooperative dog. A bored husky is nothing but trouble!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    9,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    Im sorry... i dont have anything to contribute but your posts made me laugh ^^
    i wish you an the dog the best of luck
    Lol, thanks Vette.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    No self respecting husky is going to do anything just because you asked. They do not care about pleasing their owners. You need to make it worth her while to obey, more interesting than any other option. Huskies think, they problem solve, they weigh options. She may know exactly what you want her to do. That does not mean she will do it! This will never ever change. Training with a husky never stops. She'll be 14 years old & still actively ignoring you! She will sense your frustration & that will be the end of her cooperation!

    Try a nothing in life is free program. She's a working dog, she needs a job! Even working for her dinner!

    More exercise than you think is reasonable is probably almost enough! Exercise before a training session. A tired husky is a relatively cooperative dog. A bored husky is nothing but trouble!
    I've heard of NILIF! I will have to look into it and research it more. It's been recommended for Pit Bulls too, so Brennan could probably benefit from it also.

    She barks at me sometimes if I tell her to do something like "haha mom, I'm just gonna sit here and bark at you while you yell at me and tell me not to do that!" I can't imagine living with as many as you do, Tamara LOL, I think I'd go nuts. They are wonderful dogs and I can see that even with her being half Husky, but sometimes I'd just like to choke the little blue eyed booger
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Lilo [AUSSIE], Bailey [APBT]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥



    “Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”


    In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    5,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyluvsme13 View Post
    Lol, thanks Vette.



    She barks at me sometimes if I tell her to do something like "haha mom, I'm just gonna sit here and bark at you while you yell at me and tell me not to do that!" I can't imagine living with as many as you do, Tamara LOL, I think I'd go nuts. They are wonderful dogs and I can see that even with her being half Husky, but sometimes I'd just like to choke the little blue eyed booger
    Yelling at a husky is a complete waste of time! You just made yourself part of the fun!

    They are lovely dogs, but they aren't for everyone! I often wonder how my best friend can live with needy, obedient Golden Retrievers who are always underfoot! She is overwhelmed after an hour with my huskies! Fortunately, there's a breed for everyone! It'd be boring if all dogs were the same!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Happy Valley, Utah
    Posts
    12,554
    I think I only have one real husky. I had some issues with Nebo being really mouthy/bratty when he was small but he really wasn't hard to train. He's also always been quiet, never digs, didn't have a problem housetraining him. Skya took a bit longer to housetrain but she's always been super quiet, I couldn't really train her to do many tricks but she got sit, lay, stay, etc. just fine. The issues I've had with her is her complete fear of strangers which is not typical husky behavior. Keva is my real husky. She's always been a loudmouth, defiant, only listens to me if she feels like it. She used to be a counter surfer and I tried everything they said to stop it (have a jar of pennies fall and scare her, make the food taste bad -I doused it in bitter apple, tape so their paws stick) I don't remember what else but I tried a bunch of things. Didn't stop her at all. She downed that bitter apple pancake like it was the greatest thing in the world. Once she jumped up and took a bite of our christmas ham while I was right there, I got mad at her, and seconds later she did it again! She is HIGHLY intelligent, by far the smartest of all the dogs. She will actually weigh her options to see if it's worth getting in trouble. Like, "I know I will get in trouble for this, but it's totally worth it." I'd come home sometimes and she'd see me and hide in her kennel before I even knew she did anything, she knew what she did was wrong but she just couldn't help herself. She was also by far the easiest to train to do tricks too, food is a great motivator and clicker training worked well too. She learned all her tricks super fast I swear you could see the wheels turning in her head trying to figure out what was needed to do to get the food. The other dogs I had to coax a lot more into figuring out what I wanted, she was figuring it out on her own. I tried for months to teach her to stay out of our front room (didn't want the dogs to run out the front door and my mom wanted a dog hair free room), didn't matter how much I yelled, stomped my foot, made noises, anything...did not stop her. With Nebo I got mad at him like twice and he didn't go in there again. I don't really know what to tell you, if she's like Keva, good luck ha ha. Wait until she's 3, that's when Keva stopped being so naughty. She's actually really good now, hasn't counter surfed in years, she stopped since I've lived with Corby. She used to still chew up things in the yard but we moved into a house with a half acre and that stopped. Of course she's almost 7 now, so that helps, but she did turn out to be a very good dog just had to go through puppyhood and the terrible twos. She's still a loudmouth, she howls at me and won't leave me alone when she's hungry, Nebo and Skya hardly make a sound. Definitely make sure she's has lots of exercise and she's not bored, Keva was way worse when she was bored. Food is a great motivator for training huskies too, like Tamara said they do things because the reward is worth it, not because they want to please you.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    9,553
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    I think I only have one real husky. I had some issues with Nebo being really mouthy/bratty when he was small but he really wasn't hard to train. He's also always been quiet, never digs, didn't have a problem housetraining him. Skya took a bit longer to housetrain but she's always been super quiet, I couldn't really train her to do many tricks but she got sit, lay, stay, etc. just fine. The issues I've had with her is her complete fear of strangers which is not typical husky behavior. Keva is my real husky. She's always been a loudmouth, defiant, only listens to me if she feels like it. She used to be a counter surfer and I tried everything they said to stop it (have a jar of pennies fall and scare her, make the food taste bad -I doused it in bitter apple, tape so their paws stick) I don't remember what else but I tried a bunch of things. Didn't stop her at all. She downed that bitter apple pancake like it was the greatest thing in the world. Once she jumped up and took a bite of our christmas ham while I was right there, I got mad at her, and seconds later she did it again! She is HIGHLY intelligent, by far the smartest of all the dogs. She will actually weigh her options to see if it's worth getting in trouble. Like, "I know I will get in trouble for this, but it's totally worth it." I'd come home sometimes and she'd see me and hide in her kennel before I even knew she did anything, she knew what she did was wrong but she just couldn't help herself. She was also by far the easiest to train to do tricks too, food is a great motivator and clicker training worked well too. She learned all her tricks super fast I swear you could see the wheels turning in her head trying to figure out what was needed to do to get the food. The other dogs I had to coax a lot more into figuring out what I wanted, she was figuring it out on her own. I tried for months to teach her to stay out of our front room (didn't want the dogs to run out the front door and my mom wanted a dog hair free room), didn't matter how much I yelled, stomped my foot, made noises, anything...did not stop her. With Nebo I got mad at him like twice and he didn't go in there again. I don't really know what to tell you, if she's like Keva, good luck ha ha. Wait until she's 3, that's when Keva stopped being so naughty. She's actually really good now, hasn't counter surfed in years, she stopped since I've lived with Corby. She used to still chew up things in the yard but we moved into a house with a half acre and that stopped. Of course she's almost 7 now, so that helps, but she did turn out to be a very good dog just had to go through puppyhood and the terrible twos. She's still a loudmouth, she howls at me and won't leave me alone when she's hungry, Nebo and Skya hardly make a sound. Definitely make sure she's has lots of exercise and she's not bored, Keva was way worse when she was bored. Food is a great motivator for training huskies too, like Tamara said they do things because the reward is worth it, not because they want to please you.
    Unfortunately this sounds a lot like Snow haha. I think I'm doomed. I've been working with her, and the exercise does help. It calms her down a lot, but she still barks at me when I tell her not to do anything, barks when she's hungry, all of that stuff. She is a counter surfer too! And she looooves to turn the trash can over. I don't think she's intelligent as Keva but they sure could be twins otherwise from the way you described her. 3 years is a long time, so I'm gonna have to see if little bratty butt can learn anything before then!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Lilo [AUSSIE], Bailey [APBT]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥



    “Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”


    In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    4,500
    By the sounds of things id tire that little booger out so she doesnt have time to think if anythings worth getting into trouble over LOL
    ah i swear dogs are a lot like kids. they test their parents out too get a reaction out of them an just to see how much crap they can do before the parent/s give a scolding

    this looks like itd be a good way of exercising for both owner an dog an one that doesnt wear the owner out in the process:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Tow-Leash.../dp/B005CS7ZX0 if its tough on your pocket book try Yahoo/Googling bike leashes an see if theres one more in your range if your considering it.

    or got any swimming pools near ya an see about getting her to like the water maybe? i know a round or two of swimming tires my 6year old nephew out fast. he actually goes to bed on time instead of acting like he ate 700pounds of sugar. LOL

    that old saying... a tired dog is a good dog goes for kids to. man im glad he goes home at the end of the day >>
    shhh dont tell anyone i said that

    i wish you luck whatever ya do ^^


    ~* * * Blog_ Dogster__Catster* * *~

    ~○~♥----------♥---~○♥○~------♥----------♥~○~
    ________________
    ________________________
    ____________


    « http://www.off-white.eu/ »

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    9,553
    Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    By the sounds of things id tire that little booger out so she doesnt have time to think if anythings worth getting into trouble over LOL
    ah i swear dogs are a lot like kids. they test their parents out too get a reaction out of them an just to see how much crap they can do before the parent/s give a scolding

    this looks like itd be a good way of exercising for both owner an dog an one that doesnt wear the owner out in the process:
    http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Tow-Leash.../dp/B005CS7ZX0 if its tough on your pocket book try Yahoo/Googling bike leashes an see if theres one more in your range if your considering it.

    or got any swimming pools near ya an see about getting her to like the water maybe? i know a round or two of swimming tires my 6year old nephew out fast. he actually goes to bed on time instead of acting like he ate 700pounds of sugar. LOL

    that old saying... a tired dog is a good dog goes for kids to. man im glad he goes home at the end of the day >>
    shhh dont tell anyone i said that

    i wish you luck whatever ya do ^^
    If I take her to the dog park and let her chase a stick around for a little bit or bug Brennan, or run around the house and play with Lilo, she's good lol. She is such a little brat but she can always be a little angel too.

    Oh, she doesn't like water, LOL. Not her friend whatsoever!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Lilo [AUSSIE], Bailey [APBT]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥



    “Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”


    In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com