Thread: Frankie's Big Spa Day Make Over

Frankie's Big Spa Day Make Over

Frankie arrived Aug 31; today is Oct 5. On Sept 1 I had a spa day and for him it was only a bath, blow dry, and clip his face. So his puppy coat has grown long and flowing. I was enjoying it, as I never had a bichon puppy before. Well, now I know better. For one thing, he matted all the way around under his belly band. Willy also wears a belly band but, as I keep my dogs in a very short trim, matting has not been an issue. Here are some photos of Frankie's big make over. As last month, I did Riley first as she is always easy going, no fuss, and that way I find if I forgot anything. I used to do Tasha and Willy first as they are the whiners, but I don't want them to teach Frankie that this is a scary thing, so they have been bumped down the line.

I had started when I remembered I wanted to take photos, so I just put the belly band back on quick, that's why it is crooked etc. His puppy coat was over 6 inches long, as you can see in these photos.

He is so cute, I just want to kiss that nose!

Bath time. Get him wet, and he shrinks!

Lots more photos to come!
    Last edited by Freedom; 10-05-2015 at 08:45 PM.
    Thank you Karen, for fixing my siggy!

Here are the mats where the band lies. I felt so bad when I discovered these mats the other day. And I knew they went right down to the skin, so he was going to need to be shaved.

Big one on his other side

All dry and fluffy -- he could be a Pomeranian or American Eskimo puppy!

"Enough with the photos Mum get on with it!"

Well, his coat was SO long that I had to trim it in 2 stages; it was too long to go through it with the 3/8 inch comb on the first try. And as I expected, I had to shave that area with all the mats. Well, it is hair, it will grow. Stay tuned for what he looks like an hour and 45 minutes later!
    Stand by, about to finish up!

Here he is, all 11 pounds of him!

Other side.

After all these years, I still have a terrible time with their legs. I want to use the electric clippers and the shortest comb, which leaves 1/8th coat behind. The dogs do NOT approve. I end up starting with that and ending with me scissoring. I am not good with the scissors. And in this case, he'd been on the table so long I wanted to let him down; so he does have stray hairs here and there on the legs.

So, 2 dogs got done today; the other 3 will have to wait till Wednesday. Which means all the equipment remains in the kitchen. I set it up late on Saturday as I planned to do this on Sunday. Didn't happen, and today I didn't get started till about 3 PM.

Frankie looks like a completely different pup! He got lots of hot dog treats for putting up with me for so long on the table.

Wow, what a difference! I am sue he feels much better with the matts gone!
    I've Been Frosted

Yes, Karen, I am sure he does. They were right down to the skin, so they were pulling. I feel awful that this happened under my watch. Well, problem solved now.

He is so adorable! I want to kiss that nose too. You're just lucky that you get to.

Well, lesson learned. Now you know about puppy fur and matting, so I'm sure it won't happen again.
    You know how they say.........you learn something new everyday. Boy, that's the truth!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog/Pit Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    He is so adorable! I want to kiss that nose too. You're just lucky that you get to.
    Kisses from me, too! Frankie, you are so very cute! (a kiss for Belle, Riley, Tasha and Willy too)
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"When dogs are looking at you, they're essentially hugging you with their eyes." -- Dr. Brian Hare

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Aww, what a cutie he is!

I'm sure he feels better with the shorter coat, although he looks quite funny. It will grow out, though.

Glad you did it now, before it gets too cold.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Oh my gosh--what an adorable little nose. Frankie looks like a different dog. Snowy white and he looks fine to me and the shaved areas will be grown in before the real cold hits. That's a very patient little dog -- I have no idea where you get all that energy.
    Actually had no clue Bichon's were on the long side...with all the fluff I never noticed-- lucky fluff balls to have you as their mom...
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

He is so cute!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    Actually had no clue Bichon's were on the long side...with all the fluff I never noticed-- lucky fluff balls to have you as their mom...
    They are boxy, often described as a brick on sticks, lol.

Thanks Felicia's Mom, Cassies Mom, and every one else. Appreciate all the lovely comments!