Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: We met Ryder yesterday!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    5,481

    We met Ryder yesterday!

    Ryder is finally 4 weeks old and we had time to go meet him yesterday. First impression we got from him was, he is a big boy. He was also the calmest puppy (and quietest) of the bunch - he was the only boy out of all 7 puppies. He's also a light red, but we think he'll darken when he gets older. His muzzle & ears are dark. We can't wait to bring this boy home. Mike will be taking a couple days off from work so he can have his time with Ryder before he has to go to work then it will be all me housebreaking & training him. He'd do mornings and I'd do late mornings/afternoons and LATE nights (if needed) while Mike does nights too. I've already ordered two dog tags - a extra so just in case if he loses it or chews it up pretty good. Alright, I took a couple pictures but I didn't realize how difficult it was to with a iPhone and they move around nonstop! So I promise, next time, which probably would be when we bring him home, I will have a lot of pictures to share!

    (I know I won't be able to do this forever so it just really shows you how big he is, compared to me at 4'9")



    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House┤10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    24,820
    Ryder is absolutely adorable! What a cutie! Congratulations, again!
    Yikes! I've been Boo'd ... right off of the stage!
    Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!


    "That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

    Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    36,119
    He is adorable - and yup, the color of their ears as pups is usually the color their coat will be when they are adults! That works for Labs and Goldens!
    I've Been Frosted

  4. #4
    He's soo cute! I can't wait for more pictures when you bring him home

    Zeke, Clover, Loki and Shadow

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Posts
    8,946
    Awww - cute-cute-cute! I love those baby wrinkles on his face.
    I've Been Boo'd
    Thanks, Barry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My little dogs - two heartbeats at my feet.
    by Edith Wharton & Me
    Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

    To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Usually in my own little world...
    Posts
    4,875
    Sweet! I just want to take him from the computer screen and hug him and hold him.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    3,167
    Oh My Goodness! What a cuddly sweet baby boy! He is so cute!! I bet it seems that time is going very slowly and you can't wait to bring him home. What an adorable puppy!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rhode Island; USA
    Posts
    16,762
    Oh goodness PUPPEEEEE!!! Look at those paws! Remind me breed please?
    Thank you Karen, for fixing my siggy!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Oh goodness PUPPEEEEE!!! Look at those paws! Remind me breed please?
    He is a Labrador Retriever. (but English, he'd be more stocky and has a blocky head.)
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House┤10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rhode Island; USA
    Posts
    16,762
    Thanks! What a lucky pupper!
    Thank you Karen, for fixing my siggy!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    5,481
    I plan on teaching him sign language as commands along with verbal commands. I think it would be fun to have a dog who'd recognize sign/hand commands.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House┤10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Happy Valley, Utah
    Posts
    12,554
    He's so cute! I taught all of my dogs their commands with voice and hand signals (not ASL I just made up my own hand gestures for stuff) and let me tell you the dogs respond better to the hand signals. Other people will be telling them to sit or lay or whatever and they just look at them (even though I know they know the words too) I have to show them my signals then they respond right away. I have a hand signal command for "come" and you can tell Nebo come in every voice/way you want and he will just look at you....do the command and he comes running (brat).

    This is probably something you already thought about I just thought I'd mention it. Since you will be home with him a lot make sure you get him used to being alone too. I just know a few people who have brought their dogs everywhere with them/always been home with them thinking that was the best thing....and now those dogs can't be left home alone at all or they freak out, they have separation anxiety. My old boss has to bring her husky to my work and leave her there if she goes somewhere (even just for an hour or less) and can't take the dog, kinda ridiculous to have a dog that can't be home alone at all. She brought her to work with her every day as a puppy and never got her used to being home alone.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rhode Island; USA
    Posts
    16,762
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    This is probably something you already thought about I just thought I'd mention it. Since you will be home with him a lot make sure you get him used to being alone too. I just know a few people who have brought their dogs everywhere with them/always been home with them thinking that was the best thing....and now those dogs can't be left home alone at all or they freak out, they have separation anxiety. My old boss has to bring her husky to my work and leave her there if she goes somewhere (even just for an hour or less) and can't take the dog, kinda ridiculous to have a dog that can't be home alone at all. She brought her to work with her every day as a puppy and never got her used to being home alone.
    Excellent advice, good job picking up on that!

    As for the visual, dogs are much more into visual and body language, so we always train a sign command as well as the word. They DO pay more attention to the visual, at least most of them do.
    Thank you Karen, for fixing my siggy!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,751
    Those eyes! Those wrinkles! Ryder sure is an adorable little guy.
    I'm glad you finally got to meet your new baby.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    5,481
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    He's so cute! I taught all of my dogs their commands with voice and hand signals (not ASL I just made up my own hand gestures for stuff) and let me tell you the dogs respond better to the hand signals. Other people will be telling them to sit or lay or whatever and they just look at them (even though I know they know the words too) I have to show them my signals then they respond right away. I have a hand signal command for "come" and you can tell Nebo come in every voice/way you want and he will just look at you....do the command and he comes running (brat).

    This is probably something you already thought about I just thought I'd mention it. Since you will be home with him a lot make sure you get him used to being alone too. I just know a few people who have brought their dogs everywhere with them/always been home with them thinking that was the best thing....and now those dogs can't be left home alone at all or they freak out, they have separation anxiety. My old boss has to bring her husky to my work and leave her there if she goes somewhere (even just for an hour or less) and can't take the dog, kinda ridiculous to have a dog that can't be home alone at all. She brought her to work with her every day as a puppy and never got her used to being home alone.
    Great advice, Amy. I do have two questions. At what age do you allow for socialization? Also, when should I start working on Ryder on being used to home alone, etc.? It has been so long since I've really had a puppy, since Rosie. Hank doesn't count, I was in college when my parents raised him.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House┤10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com