Thread: Vacation

Blog Entries

Vacation

Hello; how are you?

Here is my dilemma:

We adopted an awesome and wonderfully sweet, kitten about 6 months ago, that we all love to death.

Problem is we are supposed to go on vacation next week for about 4 days, and we don't know what to do with her.

We haven't lived in the neighborhood long enough to trust anyone with our house keys and a professional or a boarding place isn't really an option because, it's too much money.

I've considered not going, but I, hate to do that, but how can we leave her alone for 4 days?

Please help! We really love her soo much!

Thanks in advance;

Lori & Melody

If you don't want anyone to visit your cat in your house, or board her, there's only one option left... find a catlover who can take her while you're away.

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Yup - having her go stay with someone you DO trust is probably the best option. Any family or friends that could play auntie or uncle for 4 days?
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Yup - having her go stay with someone you DO trust is probably the best option. Any family or friends that could play auntie or uncle for 4 days?

Thanks so much for the reply but we actually haven't been in the area long enough to trust anyone with her - or with my house keys.
    I LOVE CATS & ALL PETS !! ❤️

Will you be staying in a hotel while you are away? If so, would they allow your cat?

The other option is to find a professional, bonded cat sitter with good references. Your vet might be able to recommend one.
    "Procrastinate now; don't put it off." -- Ellen DeGeneres

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Will you be staying in a hotel while you are away? If so, would they allow your cat?

The other option is to find a professional, bonded cat sitter with good references. Your vet might be able to recommend one.

Unfortunately the hotel does not allow pets, and cat sitter, though a wonderful idea, (thanks so very much!), is not really an option because of the cost.

I am considering not going, just letting my husband and daughters go without me.

Thanks again, so much for the help and replies.

In Denmark, we have a Meet-Up group called Denmark Cat sitting Exchange, perhaps you could search for one in your area. Take a look!

https://www.meetup.com/cities/
    Last edited by Randi; 02-16-2017 at 03:18 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

If you absolutely must go on vacation, the only other option would be:
    Get a programmable feeder that releases food for the kitty, have a waterstation with a reservoir, and set up several litterboxes (I would say at least 4).
    Leave the TV or radio on and get a Feliway plug-in that releases pheromones to keep her relaxed.
    She probably shouldn't have the run of the house, and should stay in 1 or maybe 2 rooms.
    Getting all those supplies probably exceeds the cost of boarding her at your vet. My vet charges $10/day for cat boarding.
    I have to say, though, that 4 days would be the absolute maximum to leave her by herself. You also have to consider that a health emergency could happen!
    I myself wouldn't do it, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my vacation.
    Good luck, I hope that you'll find a solution.
    cats4ever

Can't you take her with you?

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, no

Quote Originally Posted by DogMom1 View Post
    Can't you take her with you?

The hotel doesn't allow pets.

And, anyway, I think I'd be scared to bring her. She'd be in the room all day alone, and what if the maid accidentally let her out or something?

I think she'd be safer at home, and, anyway, she hates the car, and she'd be capped up in the carrier for the whole trip.

Perhaps you can hire someone to just come in once, midway through your trip? A bonded, insured pet sitter for just one visit would be safe, and that would give kitty a break midway, and a human a chance to change the water, check letterbox, food, etc. And that one visit would hopefully be much less expensive that four days of care, and give you some peace of mind.
    I've Been Frosted