Thread: Did you know... (November 19, 2015)

Alberta, Canada

Did you know... (November 19, 2015)

... that today is Good-bye Edsel Day? The last Edsel rolled off the assembly line on this day in 1959. Ford Motor Company stopped production of the big flop after two years and a total of 110,847 cars. With the Edsel, Ford had expected to make significant inroads into the market share but the Edsel just never gained popularity.

I was 3 years old at the time. Is there anyone here who drove or rode in an Edsel? Why were they such a big flop?
    "Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." -- Lao Tzu

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    I think they were discontinued because people didn't like the design. I remember them being called something like "An Oldsmobile sucking a lemon."

Maybe they were not great to handle, either, but I don't know about that. I've never driven or ridden in one.

Last edited by phesina; 11-20-2015 at 10:12 AM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (19482015), Sourcery

They failed because they were ugly and they were too far ahead of their time in regards to their options, most of which didn't work long and were expensive to repair.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.