Thread: Tiny tyrant

Tiny tyrant

Long time since I've been here!

I now have 3 cats...2 I adopted from my vet's office and another one I took in back in February. My two, Tippy and Chloe, get along famously. The new one doesn't get along with either one.

Chessie , the newcomer, was an abandoned cat (don't know how long) and a lady who lives in an apt. bldg took pity on her and fed her now and then. The lady finally put an ad on CL and said if no one took her, she'd be making a trip to the shelter. My friend Jaine, who saw the ad, told the woman to bring the cat over. I meet with her and some other ladies once a week to sew, so I saw Chessie shortly thereafter.

She was tiny, much smaller than my two well-fed spoiled furbags! Very vocal, wary, but somewhat friendly. I fell in love. How could someone abandon/lose this sweet face? Talk about skinny! You could feel her bones. Jaine said she'd been feeding her and she gobbled it up, but her stools were loose. To top it all, she was declawed on all four paws.

Of course I ended up bringing her home about a week or two later. First stop the vet. She weighed a measly 6 pounds, and she was hyperthyroid, to boot. Vet estimated her age at 8-10 years old. She was in good shape otherwise, which was surprising to me.

Anyway, I settled her in my sewing room and we were off to the races.

She's doing much better with her daily meds, and eats like a small pig! However, since Feb. 11, she has yet to leave the room unless I pick her up and take her out, or she walks out when I arrive with food. The other exception is when she terrorizes the other two. She growls, hisses, and lunges at them. No one has ever threatened her, much less hissed or growled at her. Let me tell you, there have been some blood- curdling caterwauling going on, all her noises. The other two just sit and look, eyes agog.

It's strange that she has no interest whatsoever in any cat toys, none! It's like she doesn't know how to play. Not even the laser light. She sleeps on a small rug on top of my cutting table and that's it. I wonder if she will ever socialize with us.

My husband said that we don't know what she's been through or for how long, maybe she just wants peace and quiet and we should be patient.

Last week I had her in my arms and something spooked her. She clamped down on my arm, right above the elbow, where the skin is very tender. I felt like I had to shake her off. Boy, did that hurt.

So, do you think I should continue the status quo? I don't see any alternative. She doesn't want to be pushed, but I don't want to be bitten again! Plus, I can't see her spending her life in the sewing room. There is plenty of room in the house for everyone to live peacefully.

Any suggestions??

Renate
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

Well, I have had Jax for almost 5 years now and Paizly still hisses and growls at him. Sometimes there is full blown screaming from her as well.
    However, for the most part they live together fine. I do not have to keep them separate at all, even when we are gone for the weekend or a longer vacation. I always wanted to set up camera's around the house to see how they interact when we aren't home. I just feel like she doesn't act like that unless we are there.
    But Jax is just a little brat and antagonizes her to death.

I am fine with this situation because I know Paizly is not stressed out. I know when she is stressed. I fostered a friends cat for a few months and he stressed Paizly out BAD! He once pounced on her and he weighed about 25lbs and she weighs 9 lbs. So as long as there is no stress we deal with the fussy girl attitude.

For your situation, she probably needs a lot more time to adjust to the home. I know people who have cats that live there lives happily in a room because they don't want to or can't come out to the rest of the house. She might prefer it.

Good luck!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

It does sound like she is fine just hanging out in the sewing room. She's an older girl, and who knows how long she was a stray with no place to rest or call her own!It may be a long time before she feels okay about leaving her safe space, especially as she is a declawed kitty on the streets, she HAD to be proactive about defining "her" space/turf, as she could not defend herself.
    I've Been Frosted

Oh sweety.

Declawed kitties tend to bite as it's their only defense. I have plenty of marks on my arm from Ollie. Give her time. She'll come out when she feels safe.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Mr. Spunky, Lady Jane, Bob, Callie, Kimi, and fosters Lucy Lou (home) and HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz (in Suzy's Zoo Sanctuary).

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

RIP Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Thanks for your input. What you all said makes sense; why cause more trouble when she's content where she is? At least she doesn't get into any trouble when she's there. She spends her time napping or gazing out the window.

She really is a sweet little thing. I'm glad I have her...even if she isn't a social butterfly!

Thanks again,

Renate
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

God bless you for adopting Chessie, and God bless Chessie, and Tippy and Chloe also.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (19482015), Sourcery

Being small Chessie feels ill at ease with Bigger Cats , who she probably had to fight with when she was a stray just to get enough to eat.I have had Cat s who were not only afraid of the other Cats , but me as well.
    Cats once they are used to a certain mind set, it takes a while to change and as much as you want Chessie to be your friend and be a Friend to your other Cats , you just have to wait, and pray that love will calm her down.
    We are praying that all is well soon.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My calico girl, Cali, came from a home where there were 70 cats!! The first couple of weeks she hid in my closet and came out about twice a day for food, litterbox time, and some pets. Fast forward to a month later and she is out most of the time. She still doesn't want to be held in anyone's lap, she panics if you try to lift her. So, I just let her be what she wants to be. She gets along just fine with Kimba, which is a miracle in itself (he has never liked other cats) Let your tiny princess relax and just be what she wants to be where she wants to be. It may take awhile, but I think she will eventually leave that room once she feels safe.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!