Thread: Outdoor cat enclosure

Outdoor cat enclosure

Does anyone have a outdoor cat enclosure? If so, could you share some pictures or ideas with me?

We are moving to a new house next month and will need to make a new one for our cats. They currently have the the area under our deck enclosed but the new house does not have a raised deck. I'd also like an enclosure right next to our house this time so they can go directly outside from either the basement or first floor window.

Here's the area I have to work with (if possible I'd like the cats to have access to this whole area):

Name:  side yard.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  172.3 KB

Any ideas on how to make this work as a cat area? The fence on the side it 6 ft high but could be easily climbed, so I'll need to either enclose the area or attach something to the fence so it couldn't be climbed.

Thank you for any and all ideas!!!

Looks perfect, and nice and easily enclosed, with two windows for access! The possibilities are endless, I am sure Pet Talkers can com up with some possibilities!
    I've Been Frosted

I guess cheap, quick and easy would be to purchase the pet screen at Lowe's, and staple / brad nail it to the fence, up and over to the window. By having it go to the top of the window you will get enough height to put in a cat climbing tree, so they can see out over the fence.

Not sure how to attach the screen to the siding, but I'm sure it is possible!

Don't think that white lattice work can stay; I suspect the cats can squeeze through those openings.
    Thank you Karen, for fixing my siggy!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    If it stops raining, I'll take some photos of ours.
    A couple of questions......
    1. Do you own the fence between you and the neighbors? Would they be willing to let you extend it up a little higher?
    2. The side of the house.... Can you cut a cat door into that wall? If not, how are the kitties to get into the outside pen?

We have a side yard similar to yours. It is our cat pen. We extended the board fence on one side so that can easily walk through without hitting our heads because we put a rolled, wired fencing "roof" on top. That keeps the kitties of escaping and, more importantly, keeps the eagles and owls from carrying our kitties away.

The wire fencing is then stapled to the extended board fence and a board/cleat you screw to the side of your house.

You might "beef up" the board fence if it is loose at all so that you can install shelves and ramps on it. Our kitties love to jump and climb and doze in the sun up on their shelves.

Now, if you can't extend the fence, you can still attach the fencing to the top of it and then put the board/cleat on your house up higher. Then the fenced roof would be slanted so that taller people can easily walk through by sticking to the side of the house. The slant might even help shedding snow. I've never lived in Colorado but if you get snow like we do in Alaska.... Sometimes is snows so hard and fast that it actually sticks to the fencing and makes a pretty solid pack of snow "roof".

We used the vinyl galvanized fencing.

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life. And it cost Halo hers. Ask your vet about Polycystic kidney disease ~~ Rest in peace Willy
    Loved by Lisa

I don't have it anymore, but I used to have the side of my house enclosed with a chicken wire area. It came around to a window which I had a cat door so they could come and go as they wanted without letting bugs in.

Zeke, Clover, Loki, Shadow and Pixel

Thank you everyone for all of the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    If it stops raining, I'll take some photos of ours.
    A couple of questions......
    1. Do you own the fence between you and the neighbors? Would they be willing to let you extend it up a little higher?
    2. The side of the house.... Can you cut a cat door into that wall? If not, how are the kitties to get into the outside pen?

We have a side yard similar to yours. It is our cat pen. We extended the board fence on one side so that can easily walk through without hitting our heads because we put a rolled, wired fencing "roof" on top. That keeps the kitties of escaping and, more importantly, keeps the eagles and owls from carrying our kitties away.

The wire fencing is then stapled to the extended board fence and a board/cleat you screw to the side of your house.

You might "beef up" the board fence if it is loose at all so that you can install shelves and ramps on it. Our kitties love to jump and climb and doze in the sun up on their shelves.

Now, if you can't extend the fence, you can still attach the fencing to the top of it and then put the board/cleat on your house up higher. Then the fenced roof would be slanted so that taller people can easily walk through by sticking to the side of the house. The slant might even help shedding snow. I've never lived in Colorado but if you get snow like we do in Alaska.... Sometimes is snows so hard and fast that it actually sticks to the fencing and makes a pretty solid pack of snow "roof".

We used the vinyl galvanized fencing.
    This is similar to the idea we had in mind. I'd love to see pictures of yours.

I'm not sure who owns the fence - I think technically we will because the "back" of the fence is on our property, but it's a shared fence, so probably we'd put the higher side on the house side (plus there's an HOA, and while I think they are ok with stuff at the back of property it probably shouldn't get too high). The cats will have access to the cat area through the basement window (you can see the window wells in the photo) - we'll install some kind of cat door in the laundry room window that we'll keep shut during bad weather. We can definitely get a lot of snow here so something that will allow snow to fall through will work best. I was thinking of chicken wire but maybe vinyl fencing would be a better choice.

We have a side yard similar to yours. It is our cat pen. We extended the board fence on one side so that can easily walk through without hitting our heads because we put a rolled, wired fencing roof of top.

I work at a company that manages HOAs and here in California most associations do not allow things to be higher than the fence. But of course, you will probably have to fill out an architectural application and get approval first anyway.

I wish I could do an outdoor enclosure at my house like that. I know Jax would LOVE it!

I'll keep checking back to this thread to see pictures of kuhio's and the progress on yours.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Sorry for the delay. I'm back at work in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska (where the Ice Road Truckers deliver). Bobcat managed to take some photos between rain showers and I'll do my best to explain. The pen looks kinda crappy right now because we are scheduled to get the house painted. They came over and pressure washed everything and will come back when -- if -- it ever stops raining. So, keep that in mind when you're building your own. From time-to-time, you may need to take part of it down or take off the fence roofing to get access to the side of the house.

So, here's the back of the house. The kitties come out the doggy door that you can see in the lower right side. They come out under the porch. I know you don't have that arrangement in your new house.

But you have a side yard. Here's what we've done there.

We've put up a 6-foot fence at the end and the side. Then attached 2x4's to the top and the house and stapled the fencing to it. Then added shelves and ramps for the kitties to sit and soak up the sun (or rain

The "roof" 2x4's are 6 to 8 feet apart. The fencing it stapled to the tops of them. Where 2 pieces of fencing come together, we've wired them. Because a little itty-bitty kitty we know saw a big enough gap and made her escape. Pepper came right back but she just needed to prove to us that she could get out, if she really wanted to.

Now, we only have one gate so that we can access the pen. But, you might need 2. (One at each end of the side yard). That way you can go back and forth. Here's a photo of the one Bobcat built.

Highly recommend putting some old tiles/pavers/bricks around the doggy door. Kitties get a lot of dirt and mud off their feet on them before they enter the house.

View from the top:

Close up of a top board attached to the house.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by kuhio98; 06-15-2015 at 03:10 PM.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life. And it cost Halo hers. Ask your vet about Polycystic kidney disease ~~ Rest in peace Willy
    Loved by Lisa

Wow! That's gorgeous! What a nice hangout for your kitties!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

The pictures are extremely useful. Thank you! That is exactly the kind of enclosure I was envisioning. You did a really nice job on it, I'm sure your cats spend plenty of enjoyable hours outside.

We don't move into our new house until the second week in July, but I'm hoping to get a cat area done by the end of August so they have several months to enjoy it before colder weather means they can't go out everyday.

I'll be sure to post pictures when we've completed our cat area.

Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out. I had to move them -- because of the power washers -- but we have a planter of cat nip that we put in there with them.
    Loved by Lisa

Have you started on your cat pen project yet?

This site has some plans that you might be able to adapt. https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGardenC...f=pr_shop_more

They have modular plans that you can adapt as well. https://www.etsy.com/listing/2140421..._home_active_1
    Loved by Lisa