Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Results 436 to 450 of 713

Thread: Gun control discussion

  1. #436
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I'm not afraid of people.

    I have firearms for the same reason I have a chainsaw, a tiller, a generator, an axe (or 3) and many other tools. Situational preparation. It's not fear, it's logic.
    oh, but you do not mention the length of the chainsaw blade.


    Why do we need an 18 inch blade when a 14 incher will do?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

    World basketball chamopionships, football starts and a world series in October!!.

    No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

  2. #437
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    20,876
    RICHARD, for some reason I thought you might like this...


    Name:  Doones.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  132.1 KB
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

  3. #438
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    RICHARD, for some reason I thought you might like this...


    Name:  Doones.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  132.1 KB
    I guess I am the Tan Version of the AWM!!!


    Thanks.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I'm not afraid of people.

    I have firearms for the same reason I have a chainsaw, a tiller, a generator, an axe (or 3) and many other tools. Situational preparation. It's not fear, it's logic.
    So let's see. It's logic. Trees need trimming....the garden needs tilling...power sometimes goes out....people need shooting?

    Sorry...as Spock would say..."Captain...that is not logical!"

  5. #440
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward's Folly, AK
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Perhaps require people with concealed weapons to wear a special patch?
    Like a Gold Star or a Pink Triangle?


    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    An interview on the radio this morning with the director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
    An unbiased group if there ever where one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    My point was about laws regarding WHERE you can smoke.
    You can make me smoke outside, why wouldnt I leave my fire arm locked in my car if you didnt want it in your house?

    Have you ever lived where nature can enter your yard? Coyotes, moose, or bears? Wolves maybe?

    If I remember right you have visited AK. Would you visit again knowing any resident could be carrying a concealed firearm without a license?

    You are also aware that full auto firearms are still legal in California?

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    So let's see. It's logic. Trees need trimming....the garden needs tilling...power sometimes goes out....people need shooting?

    Sorry...as Spock would say..."Captain...that is not logical!"
    Spock has shot people, and aliens, with a phazor and killed them, so sometimes its logical.
    Last edited by blue; 12-23-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Merge.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!



    My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

  6. #441
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    So let's see. It's logic. Trees need trimming....the garden needs tilling...power sometimes goes out....people need shooting?

    Sorry...as Spock would say..."Captain...that is not logical!"
    It's completely logical when the sheriff is 1/2 hour away, or when animal control's reaction to a report of a dangerous animal in the area is "You've got a rifle, don't you?".

    And yes, sometimes people need shooting.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

  7. #442
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    24,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Perhaps require people with concealed weapons to wear a special patch?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was the NRA executive vice-president who spoke about starting a national registry of people with mental illnesses. Would that include anybody who has ever taken an antidepressant or an anti-anxiety med? Heck, I've been a citizen of the Prozac Nation- do I need a special patch? H'll probably want a national registry of introverts next. We're quiet, thoughtful and some people consider us a little odd. All characteristics of the perpetrators of these tragic shootings. Maybe I need a patch for that too.

    Seriously ... yes, there are things in my life that I regret, and things I would love to do over. But I'm not about to go out and start shooting people. I am trying to do a better job at not dwelling so much on past things, but to use it as a way to live differently in the future. I'm grateful for encouragement (and the occasional, virtual smack on the back of the head) from my PT Friends!
    Yikes! I've been Boo'd ... right off of the stage!
    Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!


    "That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

    Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

  8. #443
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    24,974

    This is so sad

    WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) The police chief in Webster, N.Y., says that four firefighters were shot while responding to a blaze in the town near Rochester and that two are dead.

    Chief Gerald Pickering says "one or more shooters" fired at the firefighters Monday morning. Officials say they had arrived at the scene of the blaze near the Lake Ontario shore around 6 a.m.

    Officials say a fire started in one home and spread to two others and a car.
    How sad. Firefighters were shot while doing their job.
    Yikes! I've been Boo'd ... right off of the stage!
    Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!


    "That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

    Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

  9. #444
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    indianapolis,indiana usa
    Posts
    22,833
    Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    How sad. Firefighters were shot while doing their job.


    What will the NRA suggest for firefighters now? Machine guns atop every fire engine? Tanks & other armored vehicles
    proceed every fire run?
    I've Been Boo'd

    I've been Frosted






    Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

  10. #445
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    22,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    It's completely logical when the sheriff is 1/2 hour away, or when animal control's reaction to a report of a dangerous animal in the area is "You've got a rifle, don't you?".

    And yes, sometimes people need shooting.
    Wow LH, it sounds like you live in my neighborhood. And over the years how many times has a law officer told someone, "if you shoot someone, drag them in the house"

    Sometimes, you have to be the one to save yourself.

    Forever in my heart...Lacey,Sassy,Mandy,Corey,Ginger,Casey

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    It's completely logical when the sheriff is 1/2 hour away, or when animal control's reaction to a report of a dangerous animal in the area is "You've got a rifle, don't you?".

    And yes, sometimes people need shooting.
    Sorry. I grew up in the country where we could not see the closest neighbor. I lived in the city of Chicago for over 20 years. Lived in Guadalajara for two years.

    Never, not once, not one single time, was I so afraid that I felt the need to be ready to kill someone.

    Logic has nothing to do with it.

  12. #447
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Posts
    9,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Sorry. I grew up in the country where we could not see the closest neighbor. I lived in the city of Chicago for over 20 years. Lived in Guadalajara for two years.

    Never, not once, not one single time, was I so afraid that I felt the need to be ready to kill someone.

    Logic has nothing to do with it.
    But have you ever been home - alone or otherwise - when someone was trying to break into your house?

    I'm not for or against a gun for personal protection and I don't personally own one. And since I indeed was home when someone was trying to break in, and I live in a rural area with only the state police at our disposal and figuring about an hour to get here once called, then I would have been on the pro-gun side at that time. Fortunately, the rest of the family was home and my son took care of the situation without any weapon or assault, and it got reported to the state police. If I lived alone 24/7, then I probably would take steps to assure that I was as safe as possible, and if it included owning a gun (after gun safety and operating courses), then I most likely would. I don't "like" them, but I have a healthy respect for them - taught to me by my ex who was in law enforcement for the majority of his working days, and was a Marine and weapons instructor at The Basic School in Quantico, VA in his military days.
    I've Been Boo'd
    Thanks, Barry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My little dogs - two heartbeats at my feet.
    by Edith Wharton & Me
    Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

    To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

  13. #448
    There is no right or wrong on this subject in my opinion. I do believe that violence of any kind is wrong.

  14. #449
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Sorry. I grew up in the country where we could not see the closest neighbor. I lived in the city of Chicago for over 20 years. Lived in Guadalajara for two years.

    Never, not once, not one single time, was I so afraid that I felt the need to be ready to kill someone.

    Logic has nothing to do with it.
    There's a complete disconnect, and you will never understand an opposing point of view as long as you deride the very basic viewpoint of being prepared as fear.

    I assure you it's been a very, very long time since I've feared another human.

    To illustrate it in another way, some people carry a AAA card, others carry tools, a couple of critical spares, and make sure they do a maintenance check on their vehicles before leaving on a trip. Guess which option I take?
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 12-24-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    But have you ever been home - alone or otherwise - when someone was trying to break into your house?

    I'm not for or against a gun for personal protection and I don't personally own one. And since I indeed was home when someone was trying to break in, and I live in a rural area with only the state police at our disposal and figuring about an hour to get here once called, then I would have been on the pro-gun side at that time. Fortunately, the rest of the family was home and my son took care of the situation without any weapon or assault, and it got reported to the state police. If I lived alone 24/7, then I probably would take steps to assure that I was as safe as possible, and if it included owning a gun (after gun safety and operating courses), then I most likely would. I don't "like" them, but I have a healthy respect for them - taught to me by my ex who was in law enforcement for the majority of his working days, and was a Marine and weapons instructor at The Basic School in Quantico, VA in his military days.
    Well...let's see. My apartment was burglarized...the police think while I slept. I lived alone - single female for over 20 years. Car was stolen. Oh! And I was mugged outside the Walgreen's. Still...never felt the need for the "option" that enabled me to kill.

    Make no mistake. That is what a gun is. The option to kill. The means to kill. A "tool" that has no purpose except to kill.

    I check my oil...I prepare my vehicle...I do all that stuff. But prepare to kill?? No thanks.

    LH - you claim
    I have a complete disconnect because I deride the very basic viewpoint of being prepared as fear
    (even though you are the one who introduced fear to the discussion...) What will it take to help you see the "other side?" You know...to connect to the light?

    Oddly enough...I remember this commandment..."thou shall not kill..." and I don't remember any qualifiers! (Such as...unless you fear people wearing hooded sweatershirts in the rain....or unless the other people have their music too loudd...or unless...) But then...perhaps the rules have changed since my education????

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com