Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 713

Thread: Gun control discussion

  1. #421
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    So you think you can ban weapons from your home? Guess again. Earlier I posted other random shootings. One was an appliance repairman who had a concealed carry permit and always carries a gun in his pocket. (Shot himself in the winky as a result.)
    There are many versions of "no trespassing" signs, and if the sign is clear, that carrying a weapon on your property will be considered unlawful trespassing, there's not much someone can do about it if you call the police and report them and bar them from your property.


    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    The gun show loophole is not a big thing! Really? 40% of the guns bought are bought without the need for a background check. No criminal check, no mental health ...nada.

    Where did that stat come from? I find it difficult to believe, particularly as I have purchased firearms and know what one needs to do to legally acquire them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I had been waiting for the comparison to Prohibition. But let's compare cigarettes. According to some folks there is no reason to restrict guns because Americans will just find ways to violate the law...an interesting commentary in itself. But following the logic - let's get rid of all the laws restricting cigarettes! Let children buy and smoke!
    Kids who want to smoke smoke. it's a fact of life. If you can't even keep cigs out of the hands of kids, how effective is law enforcement going to be at another ban? Kids get booze, marijuana, ecstasy, ad nauseum, and they're all illegal already.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

  2. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    There are many versions of "no trespassing" signs, and if the sign is clear, that carrying a weapon on your property will be considered unlawful trespassing, there's not much someone can do about it if you call the police and report them and bar them from your property.
    But that is not the point. Someone can come in your home - such as a repairperson and you do not know if they have a concealed weapon or not. The person is not trespassing. Do I have to post a "gun-free zone" on the front door? Isn't it a bit unfair that the repairperson does not have to announce they have a gun but I have to announce I do not want guns in my house? So much for that "my home is my castle" thing! Perhaps require people with concealed weapons to wear a special patch?


    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Where did that stat come from? I find it difficult to believe, particularly as I have purchased firearms and know what one needs to do to legally acquire them.
    An interview on the radio this morning with the director of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Kids who want to smoke smoke. it's a fact of life. If you can't even keep cigs out of the hands of kids, how effective is law enforcement going to be at another ban? Kids get booze, marijuana, ecstasy, ad nauseum, and they're all illegal already.
    If that is the attitude - why have any laws? Let's throw all the laws out - because some people are going to break the law anyway! And then there is that was not my point. My point was about laws regarding WHERE you can smoke.

  3. #423
    My point is simple:

    We as a society can regulate effectively, but bans have always been completely and totally ineffective.

    There's a long history in the US of rum running, drug smuggling, and other dodges, and there are too many intelligent people who see a buck to be made if they can avoid John Law. Heck, we even smuggle 3L per flush toilets, and there's nothing customs has been able to do to stop it.

    As a society we're extremely skilled about getting around bans and prohibitions of all sorts, a gun ban would just be one more avenue to make money.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

  4. #424
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,805
    'Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, goodwill toward men”-Luke 2: 14

    ----------

    I'd settle for one of the three, guess which one...........

  5. #425
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    20,755
    An interesting viewpoint (on which I have no opinion):

    http://newcity.com/2012/12/19/dime-s...ar-of-the-gun/
    "Remember that children, marriages, and flower gardens reflect the kind of care they get." -- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

  6. #426
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Want to help the insanity stop?

    Stop glorifying these twits in the Media. Instead of Adam Lanza, refer to the perp as "Idiot #XYZ"

    Just a thought.

    If you knew you were going to get called a jackass in mass media for being a twit and pulling a gun in a school, would you still do it? They're pubescent publicity stunts.
    How's about the twits in the media?

    I have to laugh at a few of the puppetheads who look into the camera and start to tear up - it's not for the victims, it's for the ratings......

    ---------------


    Here's a little tidbit for consumption.

    Back in the 70's and early 80's, New Years in El Lay County was pretty much a Wild West show....at about 5 minutes to midnight you would hear people in the area around my mom's house open up with AUTO-EFFIN-MATIC weapons. (All you people with an aversion to guns probably have the same aversion to guns being fired........just sayin.........)

    Having never been to war, or heard what war sounds like?

    It sounded like a bad Hollywood B movie.

    If you were out and about you had to make sure we were under a roof or some protected area to keep from possibly being struck by falling bullets.

    At my mom's old house there was a patio area that was covered with corrugated plastic and you could hear the buck shot sprinkling across it...

    --------------------------------

    After a few instances of people getting nailed with spent rounds, the C of LA took a huge stand against beanheads shooting into the air. (pun intended)

    http://articles.latimes.com/1997/dec/30/local/me-3440

    The last few years I spent in El Lay County there was pretty much no noise - it you don't count car horns, people yelling or a few illegal fireworks being lit.......

    ---------------------

    Everyone put their "assault machine extra capacity latte weapons" away for the holidays and things, with the help of a very strict and no-nonsense tolerance for pinheads, morons and idiots?

    Things did get better.

    Maybe people do listen?

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    My point is simple:

    We as a society can regulate effectively, but bans have always been completely and totally ineffective.

    There's a long history in the US of rum running, drug smuggling, and other dodges, and there are too many intelligent people who see a buck to be made if they can avoid John Law. Heck, we even smuggle 3L per flush toilets, and there's nothing customs has been able to do to stop it.

    As a society we're extremely skilled about getting around bans and prohibitions of all sorts, a gun ban would just be one more avenue to make money.
    Last time I check there have been no mass murders with toilets.

    Fine - if regulate is better than legislate - let get cracking and make some REAL regulations about guns. I am more afraid of the Rambo wannabee who thinks he or she can outshot the bad guys, the person who is so afraid of things they must have a pistol on them at all times, or the person who owns a gun but keeps it where it can be easily used by a child, a deranged adult, or stolen.

  8. #428
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,805
    "W-w-w-w-w-wh-h-h-h-h-h-h-y-y-y-y-y-y-y me-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e--e-e-e?"

    - Nancy Kerrigan.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

    World basketball chamopionships, football starts and a world series in October!!.

    No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

  9. #429
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Last time I check there have been no mass murders with toilets.

    Fine - if regulate is better than legislate - let get cracking and make some REAL regulations about guns. I am more afraid of the Rambo wannabee who thinks he or she can outshot the bad guys, the person who is so afraid of things they must have a pistol on them at all times, or the person who owns a gun but keeps it where it can be easily used by a child, a deranged adult, or stolen.
    I think the person whose fear is running their life is you. You certainly seem to spend an inordinate amount of time railing against objects that are less likely to harm you than a car or a doctor.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

  10. #430
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    indianapolis,indiana usa
    Posts
    22,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I think the person whose fear is running their life is you. You certainly seem to spend an inordinate amount of time railing against objects that are less likely to harm you than a car or a doctor.

    Sounds like a snarky comment, minus any real value.
    I've Been Boo'd

    I've been Frosted






    Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    — Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

  11. Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Sounds like a snarky comment, minus any real value.
    Well of course it is snarky.

    But I also find it terribly funny. A person who is so afraid of other people...so very afraid he needs to have guns around for protection to suggest someone else is afraid!! (Although it might be lions and tigers and bears he is so afraid of I suppose.)

    Now would that be ironic as well as funny? Or just hypocritical?

    I wonder how many times I have said it is not the gun - the inanimate object - I fear - it is the person who is so afraid of the world around they need a gun. Is is ten, 20? Why look! In the very post he quotes I said it!

    Tiresome to hear the same - totally inaccurate - snark isn't it?

  12. #432
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward's Folly, AK
    Posts
    3,683
    I am far more fearful of other drivers then I am of other gun owners. I have been tboned twice while driving, both times the other driver at fault. I have also been shot at twice, once within less then a foot of my head.

    Most of my neighbors fire into their back yards and it doesnt bother me, the hills make good backdrops. Ive lived here 10 years and it happens every day or so.

    ETA to point out the obvious: Post 443 is complete and total snark.
    Last edited by blue; 12-22-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Pointing out the snark in post 443.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!



    My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

  13. #433
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward's Folly, AK
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    It appear it's only okay to make snarky remarks when you are against firearms.
    How so?

    ETA: and its appears btw, how is that for snark?.
    Last edited by blue; 12-22-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Hi there, and dyslexia.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!



    My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

  14. #434
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward's Folly, AK
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I believe societies have the right to ban some things. Things that go against the common good.
    You normally post the communist line, for the greater/common good. What could you be for, that is against against the the common good? You have my curiosity.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!



    My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

  15. #435
    I'm not afraid of people.

    I have firearms for the same reason I have a chainsaw, a tiller, a generator, an axe (or 3) and many other tools. Situational preparation. It's not fear, it's logic.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com