Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The mmmrrr-Sound

The mmmrrr-Sound

Isn't it just the cutest sound in their language? I just love it when they do that, like my Lily when she's greeting me by saying that.
    Or, when you approach them while they're resting (which I know you shouldn't do, but sometimes I just can't help it ), they'd sound like "mmmrrr?", like a question? I wonder what that means in our language! (most likely something like "Can't you just leave me alone, mom?")

I know, I love that sound! And, it does sound like a question they way it comes out. Love my kitties!

Cats have such a varied vocabulary - I am always amazed at the nuances that Eve exchanges with me when we "chat". Her "mrrr" sound is usually an answer to a question I might ask her - "mrrr" usually means "yes" - she has a completely different sound for "no" - hard to describe but it is sassy .

Another sound I love is "mrrrp" - it's a happy sound.
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Apparently that is a greeting - the mrrrp with the rising note at the end. It can also mean "you are pretty". I try that on my cats and get the sweet blinking eyes, which is apparently the human equivalent of blowing kisses!

Zoe makes a sound that I can only describe as "meep". It is quite soft but clear. One of her nicknames is now "Meeper".
    "To begin, begin." ~William Wordsworth

Sometimes I get an emphatic "Mrrrr!" Like, "Stop what you're doing, human, and pay attention to meeeeeeee!" But yes, most of the time "Mrrr" is a happy sound from Cassie
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Hi Kirsten,
    It's great to hear from you again! I definitely agree, I love when Groucho makes the mmmrrr sound. When I get in from work, we sit together and talk about what he did all day. He has quite a variety of sounds and each one is great. While I often wonder what our kitties are saying to us, at times I also wonder what's going on in their little minds.

Sending lots of lovies to Luna and Lily
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I agree. I love that sound, too!

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. 4/17/2003 - 9/12/2011. Gone too soon.

I hear that soothing sound from the Empress Josephine all the time and it makes us both happy
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Oh yes, I'm sure everyone's translation is right and it's a greeting sound, a happy sound... However, the one that sounds like a question always make me think it's the feline way of asking "what's up?", or something like that.

Candace, yes, I know what you mean re. blinking being the feline version of blowing kisses. I read somewhere it's their smile. My girls love doing that, it makes them happy when I'm blinking at them, and they would blink/smile back. It's very sweet actually.

Apropos of this, one of Oscar's nicknames is "Muttering Boy". He rarely actually MEOWS.
    "To begin, begin." ~William Wordsworth

Maybe it's because he is in trouble a lot but sometimes when I say Chip, I get a sound like what? out of him.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can tell what Jax is doing by his meow (or sounds). I can tell he is chasing a bug, or wants in the closet, or wants me to turn on the water in the sink.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

I've been Boo'd!!!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    Hi Kirsten,
    While I often wonder what our kitties are saying to us, at times I also wonder what's going on in their little minds.
    :
    Oh, yes, I often wonder about that, too! I would LOVE to know what they are thinking!

Diamond makes that "mrrp?" sound; and yes, it is a question! Spike meow sounds almost like "Hello"!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Bringing this old thread up because I just heard another sound from Cassie that I love. When she hops up on the bed, she lets me know she is there: "Mm-ROUT!" Which is different from the loud ""Wake up! I'm hungry! Feed me!" meow.
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678