Thread: Zeke

Zeke

How do you know if your dog is in too much pain? Zeke will be 13 this month and continues to get worse. He pretty much sleeps all day except to sometimes eat or go outside. He pees and poops on the floor but he's been doing that for maybe a year now. But lately I can't ignore the pain he seems to be in. I have 3 stairs to my deck and he barely gets up them. I have multiply times were someone gently bumped him, went to pat him, or something else where he's yelped. He often goes to his bed and can't get comfortable. He'll sit, try to lay down, stand up again, stare off into space, then do it all over again. To me he seems to be in a lot of pain. I've been giving him asprin, and have an appointment tomorrow. I'm really worried. I've been debating to put him down for months now and just can't bring myself to do it. I guess I'll ask the vet how much pain he's in. Do you think his pain could be managed by medication or is that just not fair? I don't want him to suffer and I'll be going back to school in Septemeber where he'll need to be home without potty for 8 hrs which he can't do....

I just bought him a cooling gel bed which is suppose to be good for older dogs joints. He loves it.

Zeke, Clover, Loki and Shadow

I would definitely talk to the vet about pain meds, how much can be done without bad side effects. I am glad the cooling bed is helping him! Give him a kiss on that noggin for me, please!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm sorry Zeke is in pain. This is a tough decision to make. Hugs and prayers for you and Zeke.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Mr. Spunky, Lady Jane, Bob, Callie, Kimi, and fosters Lucy Lou (home) and HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz (in Suzy's Zoo Sanctuary).

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

RIP Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

A very tough decision. Your vet should be able to help you with this. Sending prayers for you and Zeke..

It's hard. I've had people tell me to put Nebo down but I don't think he's ready. He still controls his bowels fine. He walks slowly but he never cries out in pain or limps. The worst issue with him is getting him to eat. He's really skinny because he's super picky about eating. I've taken him to the vet and they've done blood tests can't find anything wrong. He's never been a good eater it's so much harder now though. I would definitely take him to the vet and try pain meds. I gave Nebo aspirin and it did nothing. I give him rimadyl now and he seems to get around better. I've thought about getting something else too, not sure if he's actually in pain though,

Ahh! Its hard.. Much love to Zeke *Hugs & Kisses*
    Sissy,
    A Saver and Pet Passionate!

CouponerStore.com/Wysong Coupon Codes

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby having a rough time, I really hope the vet can give you some good advice that helps Zeke feel better! Hugs to your furbaby!

I did take him to the vet. He's now on pain meds which are helping I think. But he's still having trouble. He got so bad before the meds that he couldn't lift himself out of bed at all without yelping and crying. And just patting him gently he yelps. He's eye sight is also going and is pretty bad. There is nothing worse then seeing your baby in so much pain...I'm going to selfishly give the pain meds more time and see after the month is over how he's doing. He's atleast able to get out of bed now without crying he just is a little stiff. The vet said he has bad hips and he's in a bit of pain (before the meds) He's going back in a month. She said he could have 2 years left which is great but I'm not going to keep him around for my sake if he's in pain. I see a lot of people keep their dogs too long, I did so with Josie because I just couldn't do it, and I don't want to do it to him too. I still feel horrible about Josie...Why can't they talk and tell you what they want lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    I did take him to the vet. He's now on pain meds which are helping I think. But he's still having trouble. He got so bad before the meds that he couldn't lift himself out of bed at all without yelping and crying. And just patting him gently he yelps. He's eye sight is also going and is pretty bad. There is nothing worse then seeing your baby in so much pain...I'm going to selfishly give the pain meds more time and see after the month is over how he's doing. He's atleast able to get out of bed now without crying he just is a little stiff. The vet said he has bad hips and he's in a bit of pain (before the meds) He's going back in a month. She said he could have 2 years left which is great but I'm not going to keep him around for my sake if he's in pain. I see a lot of people keep their dogs too long, I did so with Josie because I just couldn't do it, and I don't want to do it to him too. I still feel horrible about Josie...Why can't they talk and tell you what they want lol
    Fingers crossed that it helps. I wish they could talk to us too, that way we would know how they feel and what they want.
    *Brandy*

Arthritis is terrible and the downward spiral is awful to experience. You have probably heard this before, but you will know when it's time for sure in your heart. My parents allowed me to make the dreaded decision to put Sassy down myself at 14/15 years old and I knew when it took her ten minutes to get up to eat that it was not fair to keep her alive any longer. She was on aspirin and was receiving acupuncture treatments which I think extended her life for about a year and half. She died when she was 10, and that is something I can't really get passed, even to this day. She was too young in my opinion. You will know. I hope whatever the vet gave him works!
    [/URL]
    Mikey - [Pug/Beagle Mix] Chippewa - [DT Male Betta] Shawnee - [CT Betta] Cayuse - [Female Betta] Comanche - [DSC DT male]
    "I always felt that when someone introduces you to the outdoors, you come to feel like you owe them something. ‘Cause what they really gave you is a lifetime of memories, and a lifestyle you’ll always love. Of course I suppose the best way to pay them back is to be that person for someone else. "

I feel it's his time, I just don't want to believe it. I wonder if new meds could help but it seems unfair that he's suffering all this time while trying to find what may or may not work.