Thread: Strongid wormer

Strongid wormer

I have a little of this, and not a lot of money. Taking the kitten in tomorrow for checkup/shots/and flea meds for all the animals so I was hoping to save on worm meds. Problem is it expired in February. I was told it should still be ok, but can't find any info. Does anyone know?

Zeke, Clover, Loki, Shadow and Pixel

Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    I have a little of this, and not a lot of money. Taking the kitten in tomorrow for checkup/shots/and flea meds for all the animals so I was hoping to save on worm meds. Problem is it expired in February. I was told it should still be ok, but can't find any info. Does anyone know?
    What are the active ingredients? If it is nothing perishable, I would ask the vet when you go in. Is it a "be test used by" date or a "do not use after" date? I am always amused that things like baking powder have an "expiration date" - it is a powder, and inert - unless it gets wet, I doubt anything much changes about it! I have used baking powder literally years past its use by date and the cake rose just fine!
    I've Been Frosted

You posted this in a dog forum, but asked about using it for the kitten. Is this something you have left over from a puppy? I wouldn't know if it is the same strength, usually cat versions are much milder. I say, take it in with you, show it to the vet, ask how much to give.
    Thank you Karen, for fixing my siggy!

its for cats/dogs I'm also treating the dogs. Sorry if this is in the wrong place

Zeke, Clover, Loki, Shadow and Pixel

If it's liquid, the strength is the same for dogs and cats.

I wouldn't chance it if it's expired. Pyrantel is so cheap, most vets will do a dose for free with the first puppy/kitten visit (not all, obviously). The only clinic I've worked at that charged for it, a dose was typically only like... $3 for puppies, so a kitten would be half the price (depending on dose).

TL;DR: Bring it with you and ask the vet.

Side note, is everyone on monthly heartworm prevention? Heartworm prevention will also double as an intestinal dewormer, so unless you're seeing worms in the stool you shouldn't need to use this in older/adult pets.

facebook