Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gardening 2016?

Gardening 2016?

Well, it's done.

Let's see if the weather plays nicer this year than it did last year. Last year was a lot of work for nothing, as the cold damp was incredibly destructive. Got a late start due to the cold nights (if it's under 55 don't even bother planting tomatoes).

Due to some misunderstood instructions, a couple of rows are going to be smorgasboards....There are carrots and rutabegas mixed in with the swiss chard...Ah well, chard is leaves, carrots and rutabegas are root crops, and the leaves are readily identifiable. We'll figger it out later.

The good thing is that the Okra and red Kuri are already sprouting.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Well, it's done.

Let's see if the weather plays nicer this year than it did last year. Last year was a lot of work for nothing, as the cold damp was incredibly destructive. Got a late start due to the cold nights (if it's under 55 don't even bother planting tomatoes).

Due to some misunderstood instructions, a couple of rows are going to be smorgasboards....There are carrots and rutabegas mixed in with the swiss chard...Ah well, chard is leaves, carrots and rutabegas are root crops, and the leaves are readily identifiable. We'll figger it out later.

The good thing is that the Okra and red Kuri are already sprouting.
    Here's hopin' .... we have been very, very dry so far this year ... odd temps but DRY - http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/R...aspx?northeast

Next chance for precipitation isn't even until Tuesday ....
    I've Been Frosted

I think I need a breathalyzer before I use the seed planter again....the beans are all sprouted, the rows look like I was staggering, not walking.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I planted a tomato plant in my flower bed. That's about as much as I do.

Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy.Lacey.Angel.Missy

Gardening 2016?

I also would like to try planting Okra at our backyard. We have tamarind and calamansi here. Those plants are really useful to us.

Okra is a bit picky, it likes loose, well draining soil, which means that in our garden it's planted in raised beds in soil from the garden center. It doesn't like upstate New York clay one bit.

I interrupted someone's breakfast the other morning.

I was making my morning rounds the other day, checking on the garden. I heard a quiet rush sound in the grass, and I looked over to see a garter snake slithering away with it's breakfast half swallowed. It's odd to see a snake with frog's legs sticking out of its mouth.

Gardening 2016?

One of my dreams is to have a farm. If that happens, I would spare a portion of land for my veggies and other stuffs.

Eggplant, peppers, tomatoes are all doing their thing, and there are buds on the bean plants, both pole beans and bush beans. The kids are waiting for beanplosion.

And somewhat unexpectedly, the black walnut trees have decided to produce this year. Just have to watch out with the mower, those little beasties make dangerous projectiles...LOLName:  0720161206.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  368.5 KB
    Last edited by Lady's Human; 07-20-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Wow, impressive fruit there!
    I've Been Frosted

Eggplant, squash and tomatoes run amok....time to make some ratatouille and freeze it for winter.

I asked LOH yesterday why our diningroom smelled like a produce market...

The answer was "Because it is!"

Winter squash stacked on the hearth (Red Kuri and Acorn Squash), and about 2-3 bushels of tomatoes waiting to be canned.

To add to the fun the diningroom table is full of already canned veg.

I asked LOH yesterday why our diningroom smelled like a produce market...

The answer was "Because it is!"

Winter squash stacked on the hearth (Red Kuri and Acorn Squash), and about 2-3 bushels of tomatoes waiting to be canned.

To add to the fun the diningroom table is full of already canned veg.
    Shades of Bunny's house ...
    I've Been Frosted

Minus the trumpet vine.

I just wish I could get currant bushes to take.

Minus the trumpet vine.

I just wish I could get currant bushes to take.
    How about gooseberries?
    I've Been Frosted