Thread: Doggy with a lot of problems?!?!

Doggy with a lot of problems?!?!

Hi there, I have a 2 year old chihuahua called cookie, I adopted her about a month ago from her previous owners, she was super underweight I mean her bones wer visible from across the room she wasn't being cared for properly or walked or anything, stuck in her cage all day and kept in a room the rest of the time, I knew the dog and had a good relationship with her before taking her on, since then she's managed I put on a good amount of weight, to start with she wasn't house trained or even trained to go an a mat! Since taking her I've managed to get her used to going on the mat or outside most of the time.
    But recently she's started refusing to go outside. We get to just outside the front door and all of a sudden she freezes and pulls to go back inside, I've tried just standing outside the door for a while but she just crouches down, tail between her legs and cries to go inside again, she's went completely off of her dog food and I've tried everything to get her to eat it, mixed bits of chicken in, tried her with loads of different foods and she won't touch it unless I sit on the floor and feed her bit by tiny little bit, she cries and scratches at a door if I leave the room, I can't leave her with anyone else as she just cries till I return, she's even wet herself a few times if I've left her on her own for a few minutes, she won't sleep in her own bed has to be next to me at all times, I really have no idea what to do, she's not good with other dogs I'm not sure if this is maybe because the last dog she lived with bullied her and didn't let her eat, but now if another dog comes in she sits on my shoulder and shakes till they leave. My uncle has a collie who is the best behaved dog I've ever came across so timid and friendly. After a while cookie came down and was on my lap but any time the collie came over she cried and growled at her...
    asked the previous owners and they said she has never done any of this before?...

Has anything happened outside to startle her? Can you take her outside for a walk if you leave by another door?

It sounds like she could use "puppy kindergarten" to get some good basic training and socialization down. Do you know of any classes nearby? I would speak with the instructor before bring her, of course. It sounds like she is just now gaining enough strength physically to begging to feel better, and so now the behavior problems are popping up. I would not trust anything the previous owners say - they are the ones who starved and neglected the poor girl!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Has anything happened outside to startle her? Can you take her outside for a walk if you leave by another door?

It sounds like she could use "puppy kindergarten" to get some good basic training and socialization down. Do you know of any classes nearby? I would speak with the instructor before bring her, of course. It sounds like she is just now gaining enough strength physically to begging to feel better, and so now the behavior problems are popping up. I would not trust anything the previous owners say - they are the ones who starved and neglected the poor girl!
    Hi there, nope nothing has startled her that I'm aware off she's fine in the house it's as soon as we step foot outside, I'm not sure if there's any classes nearby il make sure to have a look and find out though!

Has Cookie seen a veterinarian since you've adopted her? She might have some health issues because of her previous mistreatment.
    cats4ever

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    Has Cookie seen a veterinarian since you've adopted her? She might have some health issues because of her previous mistreatment.
    Yep, she's been, vet said apart from her weight everything is fine health wise

Thank you for taking Cookie in and working with her.

You may need to carry her out a few times to get her over whatever has caused her fear of the outdoors. Take a toy or some treats if she is food motivated, and reward her as soon as you set her down. Use high value treats, something she doesn't get otherwise, just for training. Good things include tiny bits of hot dog, cheese (I use Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheddar), and boiled boneless skinless chicken breast.

I agree a group training class and a small dog play class would both be good for her. You may find one using this site, just put in your zip code:

https://apdt.com/trainer-search/