Thread: My dog killed my kittens

My dog killed my kittens

I have a 6 year old doxie she is the sweetist natured dog my cat had 4 one week old kittens she got into the room we were keeping them in and killed all 4. I am devistated. Why whould she do this? Will she kill my cats now too?

Sorry for your loss. Sadly, dachshunds were bred for hunting rabbits, badgers and other tunneling creatures, so likely saw them as prey. Our condolences. Do you cat and dachshund usually get along?
    I've Been Frosted

Yes they don't usually have any problems. It's so heartbreaking to see mama cat meowing and searching for her babies

Yes they don't usually have any problems. It's so heartbreaking to see mama cat meowing and searching for her babies

Quote Originally Posted by Queen-goddess View Post
    Yes, it's probably best to get her spayed so this never happens again. A prey drive is a powerful thing, sadly.
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    How sad, this is horrible! You hang in there, I am sure the dog didn't realize it was a terrible thing to do and it certainly wasn't your fault. You will all get through this, so sorry you lost the wee ones.

As a long time rescue volunteer (15+ years) I beg you to have your cat sterilized. We rescuers are going bankrupt using all of our savings to help the thousands of unwanted cats (and dogs). Also, to ease the pain of your poor cat crying for her babies, perhaps you could contact a few cat rescues. Very often there are kittens found alone - mother cat hit by car, etc. - so maybe a rescue has kittens who would be able to be fed and educated and loved by your momma cat (and they would take the kittens away once it was the right time). I am sorry for your loss and the pain you must be feeling. Your dog was just being a dog - happens often sadly.
    Please have your pets sterilized as soon as possible to lower, and one day hopefully eliminate, unwanted and abandoned pets. It IS our responsibility. Adopting from a shelter also helps - encouraging breeders just adds to the overpopulation.
    http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/QC64.html
    Angel Beyli's Mom thanks you!