Thread: Another dog afraid to go outside

Another dog afraid to go outside

My 11 month old (now) Chinese Crested puppy started becoming fearful of the outdoors when her uncle went away for a couple of weeks for showing. They were inseparable, and still are when they're inside. Outside is a whole other issue. Except for the odd time chasing squirrels or playing, Sky is terrified of going outside, on or off leash. She hides when her leash comes out. Well,,,,,she does for her brushes too. The outside thing started about 4-5 months ago. Her breeder is at a loss, but I only just told her. I thought I already had. She appears to be much happier peeing and pooping in the house then doing it outside. She will poop if she has too, but peeing is a whole other issue. I'm thinking I might try my own advice a see about homeopathic. I suggested that to someone else for fear issues so maybe? it will help with this too. I just am not sure what to do. Unless she's desperate her diaper stays dry.
    I'll be trying the walking thing with her, but with her hating the leash and halter too I'm thinking it won't do much good. She's still so young that I'm really hoping I can get this stopped before it's part of her makeup.

Prepare some baggies of high value treats, keep them in the fridge handy and ready to take with you when you take her out.

Use treats lavishly when putting on her leash. Praise her verbally as well. Once outside -- carry her out close the door and set her down if need be -- again provide a jack pot of treats. Take a short walk to the sidewalk and treat, turn and return to the house. Once inside, treat again. Remember verbal praise also happens each time you treat.

Do that each time you take her outside. Start walking a bit further each time. Observe the dog; if she takes 5 steps before stopping, you want to treat her for doing that. Then another 5 steps more treats and verbal praise. It is difficult with these small dogs as you end up feeling like you are standing on your head, as you have to constantly bend over / down to treat and praise (I know, I have small dogs!) But it is worth it.

High value treats: I use these 4:
    1. hot dog. Cut hot dogs into tiny bit about the size of the tip of your pinky finger. Spread these bits out on a pan and bake at 400 for about half an hour. (I use the toaster oven). Once cool, put in baggie and keep in fridge. You can just use the raw hot dog bits, which I did for many years. Those get sticky and won't keep as long in the baggie. Cooking the hot dog bits makes them crunchy.
    2. Cheese. I use Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheddar. Again, cut into small diced bits.
    3. Chicken. Use bonelss skinless chicken breast, boil for 15 minutes. Once cool, dice into tiny bits, put in baggie.
    4. Raw carrots. Again, dice into small bits and set in baggie.

Don't mix the stuff in one baggie as it won't keep long. You don't need to take all 4 baggies on each trip, it is ok to just take 2 or 3 baggies. Pockets are very helpful at this point lol! You want to have at least 2 varieties with you on every training outing, and be sure to mix up what you deliver.

For now, these high value treats are ONLY used when going outside for walks. Doggie does NOT get to enjoy these any other time. THAT is what makes them "high value," the fact that they are rarely on offer. She gets 1 or 2 at a time, unless she does something really special; then she gets a Jack Pot! What is really special will change during the course of training. Initially, getting her to stand outside will deserve a Jack Pot! Later, that will be a normal thing with one treat and eventually no treat. By then she will know she has to walk to the end of the front walkway to get a Jack Pot, so she 'should' be eager or at least willing, to do that. If she is not, then you moved up a step in the training chain too quickly. Back off, use the Jack Pot sooner for a time.

Remember to give plenty of verbal praise. As you build up the distance on these walks, it is inevitable that she will need to pee or poop while out. Make that a PAWTY! Jump up and down, dance and clap, laugh and praise praise praise with a JACK POT of treats. If your neighbors and your dog are looking at you like you have gone nuts, you are doing it correctly. Anything less just doesn't count.

Good Luck!