Thread: Great Dane traumatized and afraid of going outside. Help!

Great Dane traumatized and afraid of going outside. Help!

So I have a great dane, named Benny. My family has had him for years- and he's a great dog. Loves going for walks and romping in the backyard.
    Benny has always had an issue of controlling his bladder when inside, so we'd have to leave him out for a few hours on the occasion that someone will be out of the house.
    The other day, Benny absolutely didn't want to go out. My dad ended up getting furious and dragged him out by the scruff of the neck, causing him to pee everywhere and cry/howl in terror. My dad understands that what he did is the worst way to deal with things and agrees he made a huge mistake in doing this.
    Not only is Benny now terrified of my dad(for good reason), he refuses to go outside. He won't go to the bathroom and, effectively, won't eat or drink(Since he's fed outside).

We've tried everything. Treats, positive reinforcement, anything we could to show him that going outside is a positive experience and should be fun for him again. He used to go right out with our other two dogs(both small dogs) but he won't even go out for them.

Of course, we can start feeding him inside, but that doesn't alleviate the problem as he won't go out to go to the bathroom OR for play and exercise.
    What do I do? Is there anything I can do?

Can you walk him on a leash? Can you take him for a walk leaving out the front door, for example, and see if he will go out that way? They are such sensitive babies, people forget that! How old is he, by the way?
    I've Been Frosted

He will go on a leash, but he doesn't enjoy it. He refuses to use the restroom anywhere but the backyard(or in the house!), but he's too scared to go into the backyard!
    He's about 6 years old, the most sensitive of the sensitive babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalhood View Post
    He will go on a leash, but he doesn't enjoy it. He refuses to use the restroom anywhere but the backyard(or in the house!), but he's too scared to go into the backyard!
    He's about 6 years old, the most sensitive of the sensitive babies.
    Well, time to walk and walk and walk him until he just has to "go" - bring a book with you, or something to do, but you need to out-stubborn him! It will take time, but be worth it for everyone's sanity!
    I've Been Frosted

had any better luck with your dog?