Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Opinions please!

  1. #1

    Opinions please!

    I would love your critique on a website I recently made/am making. I volunteer for a non profit organization that takes in unwanted kittens from barns etc and fosters them, provides medical care, shots, etc and finds them loving new homes. I offered to make them a website and would like it to look as nice as possible but I'm not a graphic designer (or a designer of any type), I'm just a coder. So please give me any input on what you like or don't like or what I could do to possibly improve. Keep in mind it's not finished yet and there are some issues I'm fixing. It's a live site so don't send fake forms please
    http://keepingcatshomed.com/

    It has a full back end that I can't show you but there are forms to enter in kittens, members, fosters, adopters etc and saves to a database. It also automatically send kittens pics/info to the adoptables/adopted/found pages depending on what is selected on their forms. It also gives reports to the admin for current available kitten, monthly expenses, etc.

    Anyway I've put a ton of work into this so far. Please give any advice to help me improve the look and feel of the site.

    Zeke, Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

  2. #2
    Keep an eye out for the handsome Orange kitten in the banner ;D

    Zeke, Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Belmont, MA, USA
    Posts
    40,868
    Looks good - though if I make the window smaller the header graphic disappears at a certain size ...
    I've Been Frosted

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Looks good - though if I make the window smaller the header graphic disappears at a certain size ...

    Yeah, that's for mobile users. It's too big for mobile devices to see properly and if anyone is using data it can use up a lot of data to display the photos.

    Zeke, Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    17,332
    I think it's beautiful! I don't have any specific comments or suggestions, but what a gorgeous job you've done so far!

    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

    -- Sir Terry Pratchett (19482015), Sourcery

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Belmont, MA, USA
    Posts
    40,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
    Keep an eye out for the handsome Orange kitten in the banner ;D
    Oh, and of course we noticed a certain marmalade boy!
    I've Been Frosted

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Surrey British Columbia
    Posts
    5,549
    Blog Entries
    1
    I really love it!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark - GMT+1
    Posts
    16,133
    You have done a great job!

    The fact that the photos on the index and other pages are placed left and center, it that on purpose? And the size of them are different.

    Love the banner, and the font!

    The questions on the online form are excellent!!

    I like that you keep the photos the same width, and the fact that you get info on the kitties when you hover over them.

    I suggest you keep the "Keeping cats homed" logo and "Donate now" aligned with the below "Archives."

    It's good you don't use a too light grey for the text, many tend to do that and it's difficult to read for some people.

    Which database do you use? Are you familiar with Filemaker Pro?

    Good luck!

    Ps. Can you help me with a leading problem? Every time I post a text copied from TexEdit, I get double space on Pet Talk, so I have to remove a space after every paragraph, which is tedious.



    "I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Belmont, MA, USA
    Posts
    40,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Ps. Can you help me with a leading problem? Every time I post a text copied from TexEdit, I get double space on Pet Talk, so I have to remove a space after every paragraph, which is tedious.
    If you have any text editing program, even Word will do, copy it first into there, show invisibles, and to a quick find/replace - 2/1.
    I've Been Frosted

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark - GMT+1
    Posts
    16,133
    Thanks Karen! It seems that it happens only when I use TextEdit, and I do that because it's faster to open. With Word, I get the right leading.

    In the TextEdit settings, I have chosen Single Spacing, and under Lists, I have chosen None. Under Styles, I clicked on Default, but none of the options are "checked."




    I am not quite sure about the other settings below. I just unchecked the bottom one. Can you tell me which settings I should use?

    Here I had line height at Exactly 14 and then I tried different options, but it doesn't look right.











    "I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Belmont, MA, USA
    Posts
    40,868
    It probably depends what font you use, and what preferences. I would, if your font size is X, leave the spacing at X+2, in other words, 10-point type gets 12-point leading, 12 gets 14, etc.
    I've Been Frosted

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark - GMT+1
    Posts
    16,133
    Well, I tried Times New Roman and a couple of other classic fonts, but it doesn't make a difference. Also had Single space checked.

    I know that 10-point type gets 12-point leading, etc. but I don't have an option to set that.






    "I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.


  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    You have done a great job!

    The fact that the photos on the index and other pages are placed left and center, it that on purpose? And the size of them are different.

    Love the banner, and the font!

    The questions on the online form are excellent!!

    I like that you keep the photos the same width, and the fact that you get info on the kitties when you hover over them.

    I suggest you keep the "Keeping cats homed" logo and "Donate now" aligned with the below "Archives."

    It's good you don't use a too light grey for the text, many tend to do that and it's difficult to read for some people.

    Which database do you use? Are you familiar with Filemaker Pro?

    Good luck!

    Ps. Can you help me with a leading problem? Every time I post a text copied from TexEdit, I get double space on Pet Talk, so I have to remove a space after every paragraph, which is tedious.
    Thanks for the suggestions. The first point, do you mean the microchip pictures? That's just an error, the top one was a quick test to show the new admin how to use it and was never fixed but good to know.

    I use mysql database. I've never heard of filemaker pro?

    I'm also not sure what TexEdit is, sorry!

    Zeke, Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark - GMT+1
    Posts
    16,133
    Yes, I did mean the microchip pictures, but I see you have placed them different now. The alignment below the logo is still off. I imagine you have a vertical column there, you could adjust that, so the "Donate" and "Archives" field would be centered under the logo. Also align the "Archives" field horizontally with the text below the Pet Microships picture. That would look nicer.

    See what I mean here...



    FileMaker Pro is a database I've been using since 1996, it's for both Windows and Mac. The newer version is quite advanced. Take a look at this youtube video and you'll get an idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2EzvaWyBk
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Randi; 03-08-2017 at 07:37 AM.



    "I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com