Thread: These Incredible Sculptures Have Stunning, Lifelike Details

These Incredible Sculptures Have Stunning, Lifelike Details

http://www.viralnova.com/stefanie-ro...y%202015-07-01

We've covered some pretty impressive sculpture here on ViralNova, but we were especially impressed with the wooden sculptures of artist Stefanie Rocknak, whose larger-than-life human sculptures seem to ripple with life, ready to burst into motion at any second.
    Woodworking has been a part of Rocknak's life since she was a child, creating her first carven sculpture with her father at the age of 10. Later in life, trips to Rome made her fall in love with the sculptures of the masters, Michelangelo, Donatello, and Bernini, and a trip to Austria introduced her to medieval German wood carving. The two influences came together to take the form of monumental, yet organic sculptures that she now creates.
    So how are these pieces created? Rocknak starts with a block of solid wood.

Stefanie Rocknak

She roughs out the shape of the sculpture and then starts a long process of refining the forms.

Stefanie Rocknak

In the case of The Swimmer, another block of wood needed to be attached for the hand. Rocknak draws on the wood directly so she can see what needs to be done.

The Swimmer, another block of wood needed to be attached for the hand. Rocknak draws on the wood directly so she can see what needs to be done. " width="680"> Stefanie Rocknak

The dynamic poses and subtle details not only give Rocknak's sculptures their lifelike qualities, but they require that the viewer look at them from more than one angle to get the full effect of the piece. A hidden detail that can only be seen from behind or above lends an added piece of knowledge about the sculpture and the person it depicts.
    The Swimmer

The Swimmer" width="680"> Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

The King

The King" width="680"> Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." -- Emo Philips

The Queen

The Queen" width="680"> Stefanie Rocknak

Many of Rocknak's sculptures are only parts of the human body, but their truncated nature makes what is visible seem all the more powerful. Such is the case in her series The Triathlete, which includes The Swimmer, The Biker, and The Runner. A commissioned piece, this series certainly shows Rocknak's command of the human form.
    Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

Ghastly Nights

Ghastly Nights" width="680"> Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

This piece was inspired by William Shakespeare's "Sonnet 27." Using a solid block of wood, like this piece does, can sometimes cause Rocknak to run into problems like rot, which start deep inside and aren't seen until the carving is underway. The splits at the shoulder and spine are examples of this, and have been filled in with sealant. Fortunately, it works for this piece; combined with the desperate expression, these splits evoke the feeling of "coming apart at the seams."

The Biker

The Biker" width="680"> Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." -- Emo Philips

The Runner

The Runner" width="680"> Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

Stefanie Rocknak

When she's not creating sculptures, Rocknak can be found teaching philosophy at Hartwick College in Oneonta, New York (she's truly a woman of many talents), and she also recently made a foray into bronze sculpture with a public statue honoring Edgar Allen Poe. You can see that sculpture, along with her smaller pieces and drawings, on her website. You can also keep up with her latest projects on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

True craftsmanship. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Mr. Spunky, Lady Jane, Bob, Callie, Kimi, and fosters Lucy Lou (home) and HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz (in Suzy's Zoo Sanctuary).

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

RIP Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Wow. how the world they do that. pretty amazing!
    ڿڰۣ-ڰۣ
    ~ ~ R. I. P Kirby 9/24/99 - 3/3/14 ~ ~
    ~* * * Blog_ Website* * *~

~○~♥----------♥---~○♥○~------♥----------♥~○~

╔╦╦
    ╠╬╬╬╣
    ╠╬╬╬╣OKAY! WHO ATE MY
    ╠╬╬╬╣CHOCOLATE!!
    ╚╩╩╩╝

http://www.off-white.eu/