Thread: If I hear this one more time.......

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

If I hear this one more time.......

Are there sayings or phrases that you hear all the time that drive you crazy? Phrases that are overused, or ridiculous, or add no value?
    Well, I have a few (not that you asked) and would be interested in hearing about yours.

I hear most of these on TV shows but also from work.

1. But, at the end of the day............
    Drive me insane when it is said over and over and over in meetings at work. Don't know why. Is it just me?

2. In my wheelhouse......
    Bobby Flay says this all time on his cooking shows. People at work say it. Don't care where your wheel or house is.

3. That dog don't hunt......
    I'm the only woman in my office and the guys I work with are a bunch hunting and fishing fools.

4. Oh, it's like a hotel room.
    Hear this on HGTV -- meant as a compliment. Personally, I find hotel rooms cold and impersonal. If you want your house to look like a bland
    hotel room, that's up to you. But, it is never anything that looks good to me.

5. I want to look like Beyonce.
    Hear this on wedding dress shows. Seriously? This is your standard? You want to look trashy on your wedding -- like you're going to do a lap dance
    at any moment?

6. Any phrase that contains the name Kardashian
    I am deeply embarrased that we have raised an entire generation of girls to be bimbo trophy wives. And, that girls seem to be okay with that.
    Seriously, if you are a parent, please require more of your daughters. Don't raise them to have a pole in their future.

So, that's mine. Maybe I'm just running out of hormones and patience but "little" things like these are starting to bug me more and more.

So, is it just me, or do you have phrases that set you off?
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life. And it cost Halo hers. Ask your vet about Polycystic kidney disease ~~ Rest in peace Willy
    Loved by Lisa

One thing that drives me bonkers is a local weatherman who uses the phrase "at this point in time" way to much. I can't reach the mute button fast enough.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"in this day and age" Even the nightly news anchors say this over and over.

"here's the thing" Was a favorite phrase of Monk's on the TV show of the same name, but now EVERYONE says it.

"give it 110%" Not only is that not possible, it is a sure way to exhaustion. It is NOT a smart way to work, and yet Managers say this constantly.
    Thank you Karen, for fixing my siggy!

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    Are there sayings or phrases that you hear all the time that drive you crazy? Phrases that are overused, or ridiculous, or add no value?
    Well, I have a few (not that you asked) and would be interested in hearing about yours.

I hear most of these on TV shows but also from work.

2. In my wheelhouse......
    Bobby Flay says this all time on his cooking shows. People at work say it. Don't care where your wheel or house is.

4. Oh, it's like a hotel room.
    Hear this on HGTV -- meant as a compliment. Personally, I find hotel rooms cold and impersonal. If you want your house to look like a bland
    hotel room, that's up to you. But, it is never anything that looks good to me.

5. I want to look like Beyonce.
    Hear this on wedding dress shows. Seriously? This is your standard? You want to look trashy on your wedding -- like you're going to do a lap dance
    at any moment?

So, is it just me, or do you have phrases that set you off?
    2) Flay is insufferable. The other clown is Guy Ferry (his real name). His "flavortown, on point, his screaming COMING UP" make him unwatchable and his eating/manners in the kitchen reflect on his buffoonery.

4) Open concept, Granite counters, closet space with the rejoinder to the husband, "Where are you going to put YOUR clothes, this closet is mine" are some of the most irritating statements on HGTV. I guess having a home with running water, windows that close and a roof that don't leak is secondary....The other is 'must haves'. I LOVE the people who want a beach house with a pool...chances are they will get tired of the maintenance a pool requires and slowly stop using it. Same with a Jacuzzi?

5) I was watching a show where a woman came in with a 5k budget and the dress she wanted was 7.5 thousand.....her grandfather, who raised her was paying for the outfit....He stated that "When your budget is two dollars, you don't spend three".

She tried on the 7.5k dress and pouted until she got what SHE wanted. 7.5 thousand for a one time dress?? Again, a partial down payment for a house, car, credit card bill? Instead of being thankful about G-pa ponying up the cost, shame him for another 2.5 thousand dollars.....sheesh.

I would like moratorium on the phrase, "The current frontrunner four the 2016 Presidential ..."

We are more than a year out, people, Give out a rest! Ain't like anyone remembers now who the frontrunner was for anything 14 months later at the voting booth ...
    I've Been Frosted

It kinda aggrivates me when I ask someone how they are and they say " not too bad". So , your pretty bad but not too bad? It is a tad strange when someone starts out a sentence with "honestly", or "to tell you the truth". I mean really.... do they normally start speaking horseshit right off the bat? Just bugs me a tad but I'm over it. People have different ways of expressing themseves eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I would like moratorium on the phrase, "The current frontrunner four the 2016 Presidential ..."

We are more than a year out, people, Give out a rest! Ain't like anyone remembers now who the frontrunner was for anything 14 months later at the voting booth ...
    When you push a 'front runner' you run the risk of having your 'horse' come up lame from the effort.

"Don't worry about it"
    Don't tell me what to worry about!!! My boyfriend and his friend are the people that say this the most and drive me nuts. Now they do it just because they know it bothers me.

I know I have more, but I can't think of them right now. But I'll be back....................
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

The use of “so” as the first word in answer to a question. Why is that more frequent nowadays?

Me: "Jeff, did you get a new car? You're driving a different car these days."
    Neighbor: "So I got rear-ended on my way home from work the other day..." (proceeds to tell me the whole story and that the car he's driving is a loaner until he gets his car back from the shop)
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"When dogs are looking at you, they're essentially hugging you with their eyes." -- Dr. Brian Hare

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678