Thread: diatomaceous earth

diatomaceous earth

Does anyone here use it in the home? I'm looking for the best prices for food grade. I found some "food grade" but it was 77%. I bought is for garden use (safe for food plants), but not for house use. It was cheap. The house stuff at Garners was expensive (100%), but I bought it anyway because I'm tired of fleas.

Thanks.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Mr. Spunky, Lady Jane, Bob, Callie, Kimi, and fosters Lucy Lou (home) and HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz (in Suzy's Zoo Sanctuary).

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

RIP Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I haven't used it but check out amazon

Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade 10 Lb
    by DiatomaceousEarth $22.22 the label reads 100 %

Bio D Diatomaceous Earth, Food Grade Codex, Used for Fleas, Bedbugs, Parasites, Detox, Wormier, Repellent, Spiders, Roaches and Much Much More.
    by Ginesis 1.2 lbs

I bought this one but did not end up using it.
    Fleabusters Rx for Fleas Plus, 3 lb
    by Fleabusters $ 33.40

We had a Rainbow Vacuum in the basement that my husband finally had repaired I used that and didn't see any fleas after that.
    I vacuumed the furniture the rugs moved the furniture, two weekends in a row
    The bottom part hold water. That thing is amazing for getting up the cat hair. but when your done you need to
    empty the water out right away or it starts to smell.
    The place he had it repaired offered to sell him a used one for $200.... the repair was 80
    maybe someone you know might have one?? Or if there might be someone in your area that does repairs that might have one for sale
    I just typed in Rainbow Vacuum repair north jersey and found the closest one.

Good Luck

I use Diatomaceous inside my house as well as outside-- have for over 20 yrs and have never had a problem with my animals getting ill or even feeling off. I use it because I am petrified of spiders and in 20 yrs have not seen one upstairs or downstairs. Have not seen any bug whatsoever although ordinary bugs don't bother me. Fleas I've never had a problem with but I imagine it would work as well.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Thank you ladies, Asiel and maid25cats
    Anne
    Meowmie to Mr. Spunky, Lady Jane, Bob, Callie, Kimi, and fosters Lucy Lou (home) and HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz (in Suzy's Zoo Sanctuary).

RIP Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I use food grade DE in the yard to prevent fleas, ticks and so forth. I usually find it at a local farm supply store. I would think that buying it online, the shipping for something so heavy would make the price too high.

I don't know what the 77% and 100% refers to? Never noticed this on my bags, I just make sure it is food grade. You do need to be cautious applying it as the dust is not good to breathe in. Pick a day with little / no wind.

NEVER heard of using it IN the home.
    Thank you Karen, for fixing my siggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I use food grade DE in the yard to prevent fleas, ticks and so forth. I usually find it at a local farm supply store. I would think that buying it online, the shipping for something so heavy would make the price too high.

I don't know what the 77% and 100% refers to? Never noticed this on my bags, I just make sure it is food grade. You do need to be cautious applying it as the dust is not good to breathe in. Pick a day with little / no wind.

NEVER heard of using it IN the home.

Home depot had their version and it was safe for the house. Food Grade is safe for the house. Pool grade has other chemicals in it.

I need to get someone to go under the house and apply DE. The fleas still come up through the floor. ARGH!
    Anne