Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: The power of words

  1. #1

    The power of words

    Blue's thread "Seriously..." got me to thinking about the power of words. This morning I watched a story about a 6 year old boy who had a "fauxhawk", which I guess is not quite a mohawk hairstyle, and the school disapproved, so much so that they told the boy's parents about it. The parents then gave their son a flat top but that still didn't satisfy the school, so they took matters into their own hands and shaved the boy's head. Apparently, his father told them to "do as you see fit". Why a parent would say that to anyone regarding their children is unfathomable to me. I realize that the father was probably doing his best to comply w/the school's wishes but IMO it would've been better had he asked the school "Exactly what is it that disturbs you about his hairstyle and how would you like to see it resolved?" This really demonstrates to me how important it is to think before speaking, especially when it affects others and, most importantly, our children.
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Posts
    9,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Blue's thread "Seriously..." got me to thinking about the power of words.
    This really demonstrates to me how important it is to think before speaking, especially when it affects others and, most importantly, our children.
    Good point Mary. Too many of us (and I'm guilty at times too), spout off without putting much thought in what we're saying, and how it will affect those that read it. I too, think that the adults that are guilty of this, forget sometimes that there are children that are members of this forum and visitors as well. What kind of message is this sending to them? Certainly not one of peaceful reasoning. Debates are healthy, but name calling and being ignorant and/or abusive, is not healthy or productive. Do we really want that to be something for the children to emulate?
    I've Been Boo'd
    Thanks, Barry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My little dogs - two heartbeats at my feet.
    by Edith Wharton & Me
    Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

    To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

  3. #3
    I think we've all probably done it, Ellie, myself included and I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in particular. Actually, I was speaking more of this boy and how his parents abdicated their authority and gave the school carte blanche to "do as they see fit" w/him in regards to his hairstyle. Those words left the field wide open, as I see it, and now they're complaining that the school had no right to cut his hair but w/their words they gave them permission. However, point taken regarding posts on Pet Talk and other forums as well.
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Just north of Memphis TN, USA
    Posts
    1,450
    I can't believe anyone would have an issue with a fauxhawk, and especially with a flat-top. Don't most little boys have a buzz-cut at some point?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Posts
    9,097
    Oops - missed your point Mary, You're right of course - the father missed the boat on that one and should have thought that one out before speaking. I can't imagine a parent taking that kind of attitude tho, when it comes to their kids. I'm sure he was fed up with the school, but come on.....
    I've Been Boo'd
    Thanks, Barry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My little dogs - two heartbeats at my feet.
    by Edith Wharton & Me
    Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

    To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

  6. #6
    It's a matter of control, wanting him to conform to their standards. I mean, can you imagine having your son come home from school w/his head shaved and he tells you that the school did it??? My (then) husband got my son a buzz cut when he was just 2 years old w/out consulting me and when I saw it, I cried. He looked adorable but he'd had such beautiful curls and that wasn't the point. My husband should've asked for my opinion before he did it. So if the school ever did anything like this to my son, well, my reaction wouldn't have been pleasant, I can assure you.

    When my son was in grade school, he had a teacher who often smacked him across the knuckles because she didn't like the way he held his pen. I asked her "Can you read his writing? Apparently you can because he's gotten all A's in penmanship. DO NOT physically discipline my son again. If you have a problem w/him, consult w/me." His kindergarten teacher tried to get him to do an art project over because he painted a house purple because, according to her, houses aren't purple. I said "Maybe your house isn't purple but ours is". She said "On the outside?" I said "No, on the inside but he didn't know how to paint the inside of the drawing. Besides, is that the point? Art is subjective. He should be able to express himself w/abandon in art class". On the whole, he had some pretty good teachers throughout his education and this certainly isn't meant as an indictment of teachers. My lifelong friend is a teacher and I'm aware of the heavy responsibility that they shoulder. But they need to know their place and not cross that line of taking over the responsibility of parenting our kids.
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Posts
    9,097
    The schools doing parenting rates right up there in my book with the government doing the same by dictating to us with court orders, what medical treatment our children must receive.
    I've Been Boo'd
    Thanks, Barry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My little dogs - two heartbeats at my feet.
    by Edith Wharton & Me
    Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

    To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    The schools doing parenting rates right up there in my book with the government doing the same by dictating to us with court orders, what medical treatment our children must receive.
    Bulls eye!
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,850
    Whoa!

    I went to Catholic school for years and there was no messing around there.

    White shirt, neck tie, school patch, blue pants and black SHOES.

    NO wonder the made you have P.E. once a week, ever play tag in wingtips?

    --------------------

    I have to toss this out beacause we knee jerk some opinions when the media reports a story, then you read or hear of it in a slightly different way?

    An editor can and will omit a passage, word or paragraph to make it fit the column inches and their point of view.

    Here's my take?

    1. What are the rules of the district/school?
    2. Was it an outrageous cut?




    A 'good' haircut is about 15-20 dollars-more if you add the extras.
    3. Could the family afford another?
    4. I imagine that some moron that had the kid in the class had a fit and decided to play the hair card on this kid? The reason? Ask them.
    5. I got my arse PUMMELED in elementary because the nuns were sado-masochists. NO wonder the RC Church is looking for more priests, you work with a gal that is celebate, plays mom to a bunch of kids that aren't her's and has to dress like Sister Bertrill, 365 days a year.

    The school system has evolved into a publicly funded day care system and god and heaven forbid a kid is mistreated by a teach.

    Kids get into trouble at school because the effing parents don't 'fix' the problem at home. "I can't fix it here, I pay taxes, maybe THEY can do something about this little beesturd's behavior".

    Hair will grow back, it's not like the kid was scarred for life.

    Me, I would have shaved the kid's head myself or pulled him out of school.

    I have clippers and my kid is going to school to get an education, no matter what!

  10. #10
    It was a short haircut, a fauxhawk. The parents cut it even shorter, giving him a flat top. Without permission, the school buzzed his hair. Totally unacceptable.

    I, like you, Richard, was raised in a much stricter environment and went to a school that dictated everything. Believe it or not, we had to stand in line each morning before the teacher while she inspected us to see if we were clean, clothes pressed, girls had a clean handkerchief, boys w/shirts tucked in, no hair ornaments for girls except one barrette. It goes on and on. We did it because it was school policy. And that was just grade school. In high school, the principal met us at the door w/a yardstick and he measured the girls' skirts. If they were too short, we were sent home. If the boys wore jeans, they were sent home, too. However, I guarantee you that if a teacher had cut my hair w/out telling my parents, my father would've gone to that school in a heartbeat and rightfully so.

    Today there are kids wearing their pants below their derrieres and Tshirts w/vulgarity on them and they get away w/it. The mother of one kid in Cleveland actually considered bringing suit against the school district because her teenage daughter got sent home for wearing pajamas w/feet in them! She said that it was casual attire. This kid w/the fauxhawk, however, was 6 YEARS OLD. What the school did was bullying and they overstepped their bounds w/the parents who should've had the guts and common sense to have a discussion w/the school rather than to say "do what you see fit". That gave the school an out because there was too much room for interpretation. I'm not a coddler and I don't jump on the bandwagon when it comes to kids. As a matter of fact, I think too many are indulged and self-entitled. But this was just plain wrong on the part of the school but the parents also bear responsibility in all of it, too.
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ploss's Halfway House for Homeless Cats
    Posts
    18,317
    NO wonder the made you have P.E. once a week, ever play tag in wingtips?
    I'm sorry, but picture RICHARD in wingtips has me rolling on the floor laughing. Of course, so does a picture of ME in saddle shoes!!

    *shuffles off, head down* I'm sorry, didn't mean to bogart the thread.

    Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

    DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    In high school, the principal met us at the door w/a yardstick and he measured the girls' skirts. If they were too short, we were sent home.
    LOL,
    And the girls kept pushing the limits.~

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    LOL,
    And the girls kept pushing the limits.~
    But of course!
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    4,107
    How absurd.

    I would have demanded to see a school district policy prohibiting the hair style. And even if there was one prohibiting a "faux hawk" I would bet money there was not one prohibiting a flat-top.

    My son went to high school with a boy who wore his mohawk in about eight bright green spikes down the center of his otherwise bald head. And each spike was at least a foot high. How he got in a car, I do not know. He graduated with a 4.0 GPA, and went to college on a full-ride scholastic scholarship. Touche.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

    "We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

    "All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    How absurd.

    I would have demanded to see a school district policy prohibiting the hair style. And even if there was one prohibiting a "faux hawk" I would bet money there was not one prohibiting a flat-top.

    My son went to high school with a boy who wore his mohawk in about eight bright green spikes down the center of his otherwise bald head. And each spike was at least a foot high. How he got in a car, I do not know. He graduated with a 4.0 GPA, and went to college on a full-ride scholastic scholarship. Touche.
    Absurd is right. I saw the boy on TV and because the haircut was a fauxhawk, it wasn't anywhere close to being outrageous. No other colors either. I also the pic of him after his parents gave him a flat top haircut, also nothing outrageous. In the 50's, a lot of boys wore flat tops. That was considered conservative. Now, just because so many boys shave their heads, does that mean this kid had to follow suit?

    Another touche': my son's artistic abilities got him accepted into the Pittsburgh Art Institute and other places where entrance wasn't easy. So the kindergarten teacher who tried to quash my son's self expression would have to eat her words had she known.
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Similar Threads

  1. The power of PT prayers
    By Sirrahsim in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 06:35 PM
  2. The Power of Love
    By wombat2u2004 in forum Dog House
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 12:48 PM
  3. Max Power!!
    By Sara luvs her Tinky in forum Today's Dog
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
  4. No power
    By shais_mom in forum General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 02:03 PM
  5. Power outage in the NE USA
    By sasvermont in forum General
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 05:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com