Thread: Need a Geek...Windows Update situation

Need a Geek...Windows Update situation

Hello.

I just finished a system recovery on a Windows 7 HP laptop after upgrading the RAM from 2GB to 8.

I did a system recovery as Windows Updates were just not happening on the machine at all.

After the recovery, they STILL aren't. The unit has been shut down and rebooted during the course of today, but nada in the updates.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." -- Mark Russell

Candace, here's what the geek in my life has suggested:

Check the event log for errors on why the updates aren't working. Use the error code to find out why the updates aren't working by doing a Google search. Alternatively, upgrade to Windows 10 while it is still free (June 30th I think is the cut off).

Type eventvwr to view the logs.

Hope this helps!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali and Diego (eight year old kittens)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross)

Thanks, Gayle.

I re-googled and ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It fixed a corrupted registry key and two other items. Still have to try regular Updates.

The client does not want Windows 10 so I have installed the GWX Control Panel (Get Windows X) for her.

Thanks again!
    "The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage." -- Mark Russell