Thread: The size of US States

The size of US States

Knowing the size of the US states, but never really thought about it, today I wondered... why are so many East Coast states so small, while others are huge? So I looked it up and found an interesting explanation I'll share with you. Yes, I'm aware some of you know this, but I bet some don't, or haven't even thought about it.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-states...western-states

Oh, and one thing I didn't know until a few years ago, is that Canada is slightly larger than USA.
    Last edited by Randi; 05-16-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: missing word

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

What an interesting page! Thanks, Randi.

Canada is much larger than the U.S. in terms of territory, but the population is much smaller.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (19482015), Sourcery

I found the population density map fascinating, too! I knew much of the history - growing up in the family I did, and as a child - now adult - with a curious mind, but it was still interesting to read!
    I've Been Frosted

The original charter for the Massachusetts Bay colony extended to the pacific ocean, and included what is now the state of Maine. Had the original boundaries been kept, Massachusetts would be one of the largest polities in existence.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

The density map is fascinating, and looking at the climate map, no wonder many settlers moved on from the hot and humid places - or were they forced to? Scandinavians often settled in the mid/North West.

I imagine Florida is quite humid, but still, it's a popular holiday destination, isn't it? Even Chicago can be quite humid. I was surprized one time I landed there, it was like Dominican Republic! (summer 2005). I like the drier Californian climate, it's much like Spain, but I do understand some miss the four seasons there... I would, too. Hot and humid is the worst!
    Last edited by Randi; 05-17-2016 at 01:58 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    The density map is fascinating, and looking at the climate map, not wonder many settlers moved on from the hot and humid places - or were they forced to? Scandinavians often settled in the mid/North West.

I imagine Florida is quite humid, but still, it's a popular holiday destination, isn't it? Even Chicago can be quite humid. I was surprized one time I landed there, it was like Dominican Republic! (summer 2005). I like the drier Californian climate, it's much like Spain, but I do understand some miss the four seasons there... I would, too. Hot and humid is the worst!
    I live in California and I assure you we have four seasons.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    I live in California and I assure you we have four seasons.
    Yes, but California is a long state with different climate zones. In some parts of Southern California, a week of cooler rainy days counts as "winter" ....
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Yes, but California is a long state with different climate zones. In some parts of Southern California, a week of cooler rainy days counts as "winter" ....
    Yes I am aware of that my daughter lives in San Deigo, just want non Californians to get educated, California is much more that southern California.

I have been frosted!

Falls under the same heading as New York being far more than New York City.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Falls under the same heading as New York being far more than New York City.
    Exactly!

I have been frosted!