Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening 2015

Gardening 2015

1. My sister's husband sent and email today - the rose bush we transplanted from my folks' house (which is about to be sold) not only survived the trip, and the brutal trimming, but is blossoming now, two weeks earlier than it did in the old spots and hour further inland!

2. I have 20+ purple basil sprouts, all looking pretty strong for such tiny things, this is very exciting for me, as I finally found the one spot that actually gets enough sunlight to grow anything!

What are you all growing this year, and how is out going?

Two Saturdays ago we planted a vegetable garden on the church grounds, so it will be fun to see how that goes, and what actually grows! I was very glad we finally got some good, solid rain, and are scheduled for some more early next week, as we do need the water!
    I've Been Frosted

What am I growing ... Out on the balcony right now, nothing. I need to get over to the garden center and get some geraniums or petunias to put out there.

Inside, though - my dad gave me cuttings from his columnea (goldfish plant) that are doing great! I don't have any flowers yet, but the darn thing is growing like crazy. It's green and full. It's in a sunny window, gets watered on Tuesdays and Fridays.

There are peony bushes in front of the entrance to my church, and they are coming into bloom I got to see them yesterday when I went to church for choir rehearsal.

Karen, will your purple basil make purple pesto?
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"When dogs are looking at you, they're essentially hugging you with their eyes." -- Dr. Brian Hare

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    What am I growing ... Out on the balcony right now, nothing. I need to get over to the garden center and get some geraniums or petunias to put out there.

Inside, though - my dad gave me cuttings from his columnea (goldfish plant) that are doing great! I don't have any flowers yet, but the darn thing is growing like crazy. It's green and full. It's in a sunny window, gets watered on Tuesdays and Fridays.

There are peony bushes in front of the entrance to my church, and they are coming into bloom I got to see them yesterday when I went to church for choir rehearsal.

Karen, will your purple basil make purple pesto?
    It would were I not allergic to pine nuts! It does make lovely pinkish-lavendar vinegar good for drizzling over summer tomato slices, which is not only picturesque, but yummy!
    I've Been Frosted

We planted two zucchini plants since I like to make imitation pasta noodles, zoodles out of zucchini. They are growing like weeds, have already harvested two. I also planted a hibiscus plant in a pot, it is so pretty a coral color.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Well I suppose I can recite the litany...

The veggie garden is all planted, so there are onions, beans, tomatoes, peppers, (hot, sweet, and bell), eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, acorn squash, buttercup squash, carrots, beets, swiss chard, okra, broccoli, cabbage (green and purple) and cucumbers. Herbs? Basil, dill, oregano, mint, and chives.

The daffodils and narcissi have come and gone, and the rhubarb needs another year and some fertilizer.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

About 20 Tomatoes plants- 6 peppers planted , 2 more i need to find a spot for.
    Basil-parsley-oregano-pumpkin and corn
    lettuce that came up from seeds I planted last summer.
    Spicy oregano and thyme from last year.
    Snapdragons-zinnias and sunflowers,

Oops. I forgot, radishes and rutabagas, and 2 hybrid squash that we haven't tried before. One is Georgia candy roaster, the other I forget what the heck it's called, but it's a cross between an acorn squash and a summer squash.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Strawberries, 2 varieties of cherry tomatoes, normal-sized tomatoes, cayenne peppers, cucumbers, onions, and grapes. I planted about half as many plants this year since it gets hard to keep up with during the summer. My tomatoes and grapes look dreadful, but everything else looks minimally acceptable. I've only been doing this for 3-4 years and I'm still not that great at it, so I'm happy as all get out when I get to pick stuff.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

What are you all growing this year, and how is out going?
    Absolutely nothing - and THAT is going great. I used to plant a small veggie garden when hubby and I were together - many years ago - and we were the only ones to eat what we managed to salvage from the bugs and critters. The kids just weren't veggie fans when they were small.

And besides - now I'm too darn old for all that work - hoeing, fertilizing, watering all the time, pulling the never ending weeds, and working the garden in the hot and humid weather. Hot and humid actually makes me physically ill. Then of course there are the insects that like to munch on the plants, and the critters that roam thru here after dark. When the bugs and wildlife get to eat more of the bounty than I do - then it's hardly worth my effort.

Being that we live in an agricultural region, we have several very big farm markets close by where I can get beautiful fruits and veggies at more than reasonable prices, and there are smaller stands everywhere too. The Amish have a huge store in Dover where they sell just about anything you could want - from fresh fruit to vegs to meat to furniture to fresh baked goods like pies and breads, handmade quilts, candy, preserves. ANYTHING!

Why would I want to do all that back breaking work, when someone else that loves to do it, does it for people like me to buy?????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Wow, LH! When does your farm stand open? Does Angel go outside with you when you are working in the garden?

Over the weekend I saw plants I almost bought. They were potted herbs, but in small pots so you could grow them on your window sill or balcony. Or, of course, you could remove them from the pot and plant them right in the garden. I'd grow fresh parsley or basil. I'd have bought one except that I wasn't going home and didn't want to leave it in the hot car.

"When dogs are looking at you, they're essentially hugging you with their eyes." -- Dr. Brian Hare

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

Hmm, in the egg carton with my purple basil sprouts are some green sprouts of the same age - I wonder of they are also basil, just didn't get the "purple" gene! Time will tell!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen- pesto is easily made with walnuts as it is pine nuts. Most people don't notice the very slight difference in taste. Since I make so much of it, and pine nuts are so expensive (as compared to walnuts), I make at least half with walnuts. The big deal for me is the cheese I use. I don't use just the parm, but the parm/reggiano. It makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Karen- pesto is easily made with walnuts as it is pine nuts. Most people don't notice the very slight difference in taste. Since I make so much of it, and pine nuts are so expensive (as compared to walnuts), I make at least half with walnuts. The big deal for me is the cheese I use. I don't use just the parm, but the parm/reggiano. It makes all the difference.
    Sadly, Johanna, I am even more allergic to walnuts than pine nuts - pretty much all tree nuts are a no-go for me, as are chickpeas and beans. Seeing as I cannot imagine peanuts (a ground nut and therefore Karen-safe) working, I wonder what else I could substitute? Maybe sunflowers seeds? Hmmm ....
    I've Been Frosted

If you make pesto without nuts, wouldn't you have something similar to a French pistou? Though I'm not sure if pistou includes the parmesan as an ingredient.

Working in the Garden

RIP Lady, Thursday's won't be the same without you to cuddle with by the fire