Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Is this a symptom of something??

  1. #1

    Is this a symptom of something??

    I have an almost 13 year old indoor male cat and have noticed lately that he has been doing these licking tongue movements often. Usually of course he will do it after eating right before he grooms himself etc. but I wondered if anyone knows of cats doing this just out of the blue. Almost as if he has a dry mouth or looks nauseated yet he does still eat.
    Maybe I'm being paranoid allowing anything unusual to trigger thoughts for the worse!
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts, Lori

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    20,873
    Get your vet's office on the phone and see what the tech says.

    At age 13 for your kitty, I would think you can't be too careful. If nothing else - maybe the vet can have a look in his mouth and throat to make sure there isn't a weird dry patch or canker sore.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

  3. #3
    Yes, excessive tongue licking not on the body can be a symptom of nausea which, in turn, can be a symptom of renal failure. (I have a cat who's in renal failure.) Have your vet check your kitty out now. Hopefully, it's just some passing nausea but take no chances.
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

  4. #4
    Thank you for both of your informative replies. I will have to soon get Gizmo to a vet for a check-up. I wished I could take him more often but I'm on extremely limited funds and have almost a panicky feeling when it comes to vets from past catastrophic bills. But being the age my cat is right now, it could be something serious. I wish there was a vet in the family!
    The experiences I have had with my other cats have been very exasperating as it seems they feel sort of disconnected and I almost feel like I'm in some kind of nightmare where nothing ever gets resolved. Those types of dreams where you go round in circles you know?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorifrances View Post
    Thank you for both of your informative replies. I will have to soon get Gizmo to a vet for a check-up. I wished I could take him more often but I'm on extremely limited funds and have almost a panicky feeling when it comes to vets from past catastrophic bills. But being the age my cat is right now, it could be something serious. I wish there was a vet in the family!
    The experiences I have had with my other cats have been very exasperating as it seems they feel sort of disconnected and I almost feel like I'm in some kind of nightmare where nothing ever gets resolved. Those types of dreams where you go round in circles you know?
    I do understand the fear of large vet bills. I've got plenty of 'em. However, if your cat is in acute renal failure, time is definitely NOT on your side. Is Gizmo exhibiting any other symptoms? Is he just lying around lethargic? Have his eating and litterbox habits changed? I don't want to frighten you but renal failure is nothing to mess with. Please keep us posted.
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    20,873
    Ask about a payment plan, or Google "Care Credit" and apply for that.

    Care Credit IS a loan - but there is no interest on anything paid back in the first 3 months.

    Please keep us posted!
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." -Oscar Wilde

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I do understand the fear of large vet bills. I've got plenty of 'em. However, if your cat is in acute renal failure, time is definitely NOT on your side. Is Gizmo exhibiting any other symptoms? Is he just lying around lethargic? Have his eating and litterbox habits changed? I don't want to frighten you but renal failure is nothing to mess with. Please keep us posted.
    Thanks for both of your notes. Gizmo, in all other respects seems to be himself - he has had some decline in activity over the last two years but I wonder if that isn't simply getting older? Also happy to report his litterbox habits and eating have not altered. I've had a fair number of cats over the years and should remember how much they sleep but how much do your cats snooze during the day? I know cats are notorious deadbeats with the non-stop napping but maybe I can't be objective as to how much is considered healthy.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorifrances View Post
    Thanks for both of your notes. Gizmo, in all other respects seems to be himself - he has had some decline in activity over the last two years but I wonder if that isn't simply getting older? Also happy to report his litterbox habits and eating have not altered. I've had a fair number of cats over the years and should remember how much they sleep but how much do your cats snooze during the day? I know cats are notorious deadbeats with the non-stop napping but maybe I can't be objective as to how much is considered healthy.
    Sleeping and lethargy aren't the same thing. When my RB Peeka went into acute renal failure, I noticed that she was just lying around, wasn't grooming herself as much and she lost weight. By the time those symptoms exhibited themselves, she was already in renal failure and it was too late. She had to be PTS a week later. The licking that she did indicated nausea, which is one of the symptoms of acute or chronic renal failure. Perhaps your funds are limited at the moment (I can relate) but you'll end up spending much more money later if you wait too long. Plus you can save your cat a painful illness; acute renal failure is painful because everything shuts down. Again, I'm not trying to frighten you; it may be nothing but it's worth a few bucks and your peace of mind to have her checked at your vet's.

    Btw, you said that you fear it could be something serious. Trust your instincts.
    Blessings,
    Mary



    "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
  2. Heads up on Whipworm ; symptom - chronic diarrhea
    By crow_noir in forum Dog Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 02:57 AM
  3. Pet Symptom Solver Tool
    By ChrisH in forum Dog Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-11-2002, 08:53 AM
  4. Pets symptom solver tool
    By ChrisH in forum Cat Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2002, 10:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com