Thread: Emergency services call.. from Poppy?

Emergency services call.. from Poppy?

So I was saying the apartment window ledge is not very wide..

Just under the windows is the air conditioner, and the top of that is a bit wider. That led to a strange adventure on Saturday.

I have one of those medic-alert pendants that you can summon help with if you "fall and can't get up" or otherwise are in need of help. The control box is on top of the air conditioner right under the window.

Saturday morning I went out for my morning coffee and then took my friend Jayne and her cat to the vet's to get his nails trimmed (she doesn't drive). Afterwards I went home to find an urgent phone message from my sister Mary Kay:

She'd been called by the local ambulance service: The medic alert alarm had gone off, and they couldn't get in touch with me through the control box or by phone.. so they came into the apartment. I wasn't there, so they called Mary Kay, who is my emergency contact person. She didn't know of anything happening to me. She came over and also saw that I wasn't there, and also that my car wasn't in the parking lot. They thought I was out somewhere and the alarm must have gone off by accident, but she was in something of a panic, asking me to please call her. Which I did, right away. I reassured her that I was fine.

So how did this accidentally happen? Well, the main theory is that ...somebody ...probably jumped up on it and stepped on the trigger button on the box.

This is something I have to get used to, having an able-bodied cat here again for a change! Sparkler has cockeyed hind legs and Bob was a Cerebellar Hypoplasia boy, so neither of them was capable of jumping up on anything. Poppy's legs are just fine, and she can (and does) jump around wherever she wants.

I then called the alarm company (business line, not emergency) to let them know I was home now and I was fine. It must have gone off accidentally, and I wondered if my cat might have stepped on it and triggered it.

The man I was talking with said "That happens quite often, actually."

Today I called the alarm company (business line, not emergency) to ask if they had any suggestions of how to cover the box up. The man suggested a cheap plastic basket, of slightly larger dimensions, to set over it so the cat can't walk on the box. Dollar Tree, here I come! They have loads of baskets like that, all sizes.

Last edited by phesina; 02-21-2017 at 07:17 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

At least they understood, and even told you it does happen all the time!

Welcome home, Poppy - way to give yourself a party!
    I've Been Frosted

So Poppy is testing the waters. Make sure she doesn't pick up the phone and order pizza. I'm glad though that everybody is ok.
    cats4ever

LOL LOL LOL only because you are FINE, of course. What a story!

And the basket idea sounds perfect!

Oh no, what a panic! Poppy sure has made her presence known to everybody - and perhaps she thought it was the botton to press for extra treats.

I'm SO glad to hear you're OK, Pat! What a brilliant idea to have such an emergency botton when you live alone, I ought to have one, too.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Awww, Poppy! Did you press the button for someone to deliver yummy treats to you and Sparkler? Meowmie will place a basket over it so you don't set it off accidentally.

I went out for my morning coffee and then took my friend Jayne and her cat to the vet's to get his nails trimmed (she doesn't drive).
    Maybe she wasn't happy that you were going to be with someone else's kitty instead of with her! "Meowmie, come home and be with us and please bring chicken or tuna!" (teasing)

It must be quite sensitive that it would send a signal from just a slight amount of pressure on the button. That's good! Anyway - could you please give Poppy and Sparkler some extra petting for me, meowmie.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 02-21-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"When dogs are looking at you, they're essentially hugging you with their eyes." -- Dr. Brian Hare

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad I'm OK, too!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Today I got one of those plastic shelves that you get to stack up the number you need on your office desk.. Just the right size to cover up the medic-alert box! And it has gaps on the sides so the wires can come out.

25 cents at the Ann Arbor Thrift Shop.. I didn't even need to pay big-ticket at the Dollar Tree!

I really do need to find someplace else to put that, that is a wide-enough flat surface it can be on. The medic alert box comes beyond the edge of the air-conditioner top, and with the plastic cover on it, if it does get stepped on it won't trigger the alarm but will much more easily tip over the box AND the Comcast router right next to it, sending those who knows where..

Death thought about it.