Page 97 of 254 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3799

Thread: Politics and religion.

  1. Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I was merely defending my country from the folks that live here and find it such a ghastly place to live in.
    I was rereading some of this thread to find out who are these people you are talking about???

    Probably something like this??

    Thus the reason why I HATE our current government.

  2. #1442
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    At university in Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

    My complaint is about the people who think that the U.S. is nothing but a nation of goofy, lawless, gunpacking paranoid idiots-most of those people live here!

    I am sorry if you thought I was ragging on you. I was merely defending my country from the folks that live here and find it such a ghastly place to live in.
    Oh gosh, no, that was never my intention! I'm a firm believer in not tarring everything with the same brush. Personally, I love the way things are run in America, in general. Every branch of politics is far from perfect, British politics being very, very far indeed. I suppose we are just a more tightly-run country and we let too much compassion override our politics (the release of the Libyan Lockerbie criminal a prime example), so the idea of people walking around with guns just does not seem right to me.

    I stick by that idea; that guns should be kept out of the hands of everyday people; but it's not my country and I accept that. I merely like to be involved in threads like these for my education on such issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue
    I would think it wont take to much to ban the carrying of knives or the licensing of martial arts training for self defense in the UK.
    I found this comment interesting as the answer is you're right, at least as far as knives go; it is an offense to carry such blades around with you, other than pocket knives. You cannot buy a knife, razor, axe, etc, until you are 18. However, this law doesn't seem to be being enforced enough, as young, stupid people are still getting hold of them and are roaming around, unchecked, in public.

    We're having a tough time with knife-crime in the London area. I support 100% the stricter legislations on knife carrying that are being brought up in Parliamentary debate. Too many lives are wasted by idiots getting hammered out of their heads and stabbing to death the next person they meet in the street.

    Zimbabwe 07/13


  3. #1443
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, PA - USA
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I was rereading some of this thread to find out who are these people you are talking about???

    Probably something like this??
    There you go again... Cherry picking a sentence out of context.


    Oh well. Its no use.

    "A zebra cannot change it's stripes."
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

    - Homer Simpson


    "If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

    - Sun Tzu - Art of War

  4. Speaking of people you might not want to live next door to...

    From yesterday's Orange County Register...

    An Anaheim woman shot her longtime neighbor in his shoulder after he politely asked her to stop trimming ivy from his side of a shared fence.

    Anita Judith Spriggs, 66, then stuffed her gun in an oven mitt, cut a hole in the drywall of a bedroom and tried to hide the package as police surrounded her house....

    She is charged with attempted murder and assault with a semiautomatic firearm.

  5. What is more dangerous than a loaded assault weapon?

    A t-shirt of course!


    President Bush's speech at the state capitol in Charleston, W.Va., on Independence Day in 2004, invoked the nation's highest ideals: "On this Fourth of July, we confirm our love of freedom, the freedom for people to speak their minds. ... Free thought, free expression, that's what we believe," Bush told the crowd.

    Ringing words. Unfortunately, the White House advance team didn't get the memo. Or the message.

    More than an hour earlier, the advance officials, working with local police, had confronted and ejected a young couple who had come to the speech wearing T-shirts that fit any reasonable definition of free expression. The front of both shirts bore the name "Bush" surrounded by a circle with a slash through it; the back of Jeffery Rank's shirt carried the slogan "Regime Change Begins at Home" and Nicole Rank's shirt read, "Love America, Hate Bush."

    The Ranks refused demands to take the shirts off, turn them inside out or leave. Though they were on public property and not being disruptive, they were handcuffed, arrested and charged with trespass. The charges were later dropped, and with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union, the Ranks sued the White House advance personnel for violating their First Amendment rights.

    Last week, the government settled the case, admitting no wrongdoing but agreeing to pay the Ranks $80,000. That avoidable expenditure of taxpayer dollars speaks volumes about who was wrong here.

    Article

    Perhaps if they had been disruptive they would not have been arrested!

  6. #1446
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    indianapolis,indiana usa
    Posts
    22,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    Oh gosh, no, that was never my intention! I'm a firm believer in not tarring everything with the same brush. Personally, I love the way things are run in America, in general. Every branch of politics is far from perfect, British politics being very, very far indeed. I suppose we are just a more tightly-run country and we let too much compassion override our politics (the release of the Libyan Lockerbie criminal a prime example), so the idea of people walking around with guns just does not seem right to me.
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question please.

    May I ask you a question about English Laws & customs . I read a column
    on BBC about three people who had been sentenced for the death of a
    child. The Police seemed to be saying that they need protect these criminals after
    they served their sentences , and they will receive police protection. Is that normal
    for England? They sure wouldn't earn any protection from society after
    they were out of prison.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8196143.stm
    I've Been Boo'd

    I've been Frosted






    Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

    Eleanor Roosevelt

  7. #1447
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward's Folly, AK
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z View Post
    Oh gosh, no, that was never my intention! I'm a firm believer in not tarring everything with the same brush. Personally, I love the way things are run in America, in general. Every branch of politics is far from perfect, British politics being very, very far indeed. I suppose we are just a more tightly-run country and we let too much compassion override our politics (the release of the Libyan Lockerbie criminal a prime example), so the idea of people walking around with guns just does not seem right to me.

    I stick by that idea; that guns should be kept out of the hands of everyday people; but it's not my country and I accept that. I merely like to be involved in threads like these for my education on such issues.
    The UK has alot more controll over its citizens then the USA .gov has. I wont ever go the Las Vegas because it has more cameras then London, I would be willing to go to London however. The UK used to be a very firearm oriented place, its been legeslated out to the point where ordinary citizens are fearfull of even seeing a cop with a firearm, my opinion on the subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z
    I found this comment interesting as the answer is you're right, at least as far as knives go; it is an offense to carry such blades around with you, other than pocket knives. You cannot buy a knife, razor, axe, etc, until you are 18. However, this law doesn't seem to be being enforced enough, as young, stupid people are still getting hold of them and are roaming around, unchecked, in public.

    We're having a tough time with knife-crime in the London area. I support 100% the stricter legislations on knife carrying that are being brought up in Parliamentary debate. Too many lives are wasted by idiots getting hammered out of their heads and stabbing to death the next person they meet in the street.
    Crime goes up when the means to defend yourself are taken away. The criminals dont care what weapons they cant legally have, making law abiding citizens victims.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Speaking of people you might not want to live next door to...

    From yesterday's Orange County Register...

    An Anaheim woman shot her longtime neighbor in his shoulder after he politely asked her to stop trimming ivy from his side of a shared fence.

    Anita Judith Spriggs, 66, then stuffed her gun in an oven mitt, cut a hole in the drywall of a bedroom and tried to hide the package as police surrounded her house....

    She is charged with attempted murder and assault with a semiautomatic firearm.
    Ild say she had a mental issue, Ild love to see how she bought the firearm in the first place. If she has a previous history somebody is going to share a cell along side her.

    Late in 2004 a man shot and killed Darrell Abbott of Pantera and Damage Plan by a man whoes mom bought him a firearm, it was illegal for her son to own a firearm for mental reasons. To my knowledge the mother was never charged with a crime she admitted to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    A t-shirt of course!


    President Bush's speech at the state capitol in Charleston, W.Va., on Independence Day in 2004, invoked the nation's highest ideals: "On this Fourth of July, we confirm our love of freedom, the freedom for people to speak their minds. ... Free thought, free expression, that's what we believe," Bush told the crowd.

    Ringing words. Unfortunately, the White House advance team didn't get the memo. Or the message.

    More than an hour earlier, the advance officials, working with local police, had confronted and ejected a young couple who had come to the speech wearing T-shirts that fit any reasonable definition of free expression. The front of both shirts bore the name "Bush" surrounded by a circle with a slash through it; the back of Jeffery Rank's shirt carried the slogan "Regime Change Begins at Home" and Nicole Rank's shirt read, "Love America, Hate Bush."

    The Ranks refused demands to take the shirts off, turn them inside out or leave. Though they were on public property and not being disruptive, they were handcuffed, arrested and charged with trespass. The charges were later dropped, and with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union, the Ranks sued the White House advance personnel for violating their First Amendment rights.

    Last week, the government settled the case, admitting no wrongdoing but agreeing to pay the Ranks $80,000. That avoidable expenditure of taxpayer dollars speaks volumes about who was wrong here.

    Article

    Perhaps if they had been disruptive they would not have been arrested!
    The Ranks were trying to attend a private event, what about the man arrested for wearing a McCain/Palin tshirt the night of the Presidential election?

    -------------------

    How about MSNC editing the coverage of the man carrying the AR 15 at the Arizona Obama rally? How else are they going to say the protesters are racist?

    Link.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!



    My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

  8. #1448
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,895
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post

    How about MSNC editing the coverage of the man carrying the AR 15 at the Arizona Obama rally? How else are they going to say the protesters are racist?

    Link.
    Is this the Contessa Brewer clip?

    LOLOLOLOLOLOL,

    WHITE PEOPLE WITH GUNS!!!!!!!!!

    If it wasn't for white people with guns, I wouldn't have the nice life I have now!

    Thank you Pale/Ashen/Off White Folks for doing all the work that Hispanic/Latino people won't do!

  9. #1449
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward's Folly, AK
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Is this the Contessa Brewer clip?

    LOLOLOLOLOLOL,

    WHITE PEOPLE WITH GUNS!!!!!!!!!

    If it wasn't for white people with guns, I wouldn't have the nice life I have now!

    Thank you Pale/Ashen/Off White Folks for doing all the work that Hispanic/Latino people won't do!
    WHITE MALES WITH GUNS!!!!!!

    I like how Conny and the black dude directed all their questions at the white dude, and not one mention that the man with the AR 15 was black. No media bias there.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!



    My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

  10. Sure are obsessed about race, aren't you RICHARD?

    I suppose that is easier than dealing with substance!

  11. #1451
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward's Folly, AK
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Sure are obsessed about race, aren't you RICHARD?

    I suppose that is easier than dealing with substance!
    I have never seen RICHARD accuse anybody of being racist.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!



    My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

  12. #1452
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward's Folly, AK
    Posts
    3,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    N u a n c e
    Oh wait, its you who routinely calls people racist or sexist. N u a n c e indeed.


    Quoted Before the Delete by ES!!!
    Last edited by blue; 08-21-2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Quoted before ES deletes!!!
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!



    My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

  13. #1453
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    At university in Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question please.

    May I ask you a question about English Laws & customs . I read a column
    on BBC about three people who had been sentenced for the death of a
    child. The Police seemed to be saying that they need protect these criminals after
    they served their sentences , and they will receive police protection. Is that normal
    for England? They sure wouldn't earn any protection from society after
    they were out of prison.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8196143.stm
    Ah yes, the baby 'P' case. A very sad story indeed, and one that our social services has received a lot of criticism over.

    That is correct, once released from prison these people do have a right to call for police protection (although as far as I'm aware, it is for a limited period of time only. Quite how long that is, I don't know. It varies from case to case). This happens often in cases of a sensitive nature, particularly those involving children.

    The 'idea' is that the criminals have served their punishment in prison, and that upon their release they are likely to be subject to further abuse and discrimination from the public, job interviewers, etc. In order for the people in question to continue with their lives without the risk of assualt, or worse, the police protection is there to ensure that.

    I must say that in the majority of cases like this, those convicted are kept anonymous, thus police protection is not usually needed. However, for some reason or another, the anonymity request expired.

    It's an issue that divides our nation, just as ES explained that gun laws divide America. Many people feel very, very strongly that ex-cons should pay the full penalty for the crime they committed, and should 'get what they deserve'. Others question whether that sort of attitude breaches human rights and that, if someone was wrongly convicted, which does happen occasionally, they would be subject to undeserved hatred and hardship for the rest of their lives.

    It's another issue of perhaps considering compassion a little too much in politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue
    Crime goes up when the means to defend yourself are taken away. The criminals dont care what weapons they cant legally have, making law abiding citizens victims.
    I think in the UK it's more to do with a lack of fear of being caught and reprimanded. We have far less on-the-beat bobbies than we used to so this sort of crime is much easier to get away with. Also, we keep letting all our petty to moderate criminals out early on 'good behaviour' because we don't have enough prison space to cram them all in. I don't think it's got much to do with self defence, except in Manchester/London gang culture, which do not count for all stabbings.

    Zimbabwe 07/13


  14. #1454
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,895
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I have never seen RICHARD accuse anybody of being racist.
    But, I am a fan of Racism.


    http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/mm...cup/index.html


    ----------------------------

    My attempt at humor stems from the 'historical record' that states the the European settlers came to America/the Americas with guns promptly took it over.

    Contessa to me, Conny to you???

    I may be a tad jealous.

    Oops! Does that qualify me as a sinner and a racist?

  15. #1455
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    indianapolis,indiana usa
    Posts
    22,850
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Oh wait, its you who routinely calls people racist or sexist. N u a n c e indeed.



    The word NUANCE makes no sense in that sentence.
    You not only don't you do NUANCE, you don't know it's meaning either.
    Last edited by lizbud; 08-21-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    I've Been Boo'd

    I've been Frosted






    Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

    Eleanor Roosevelt

Similar Threads

  1. Illinois Politics
    By Puckstop31 in forum Dog House
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 11-05-2014, 06:30 PM
  2. My kind of politics!
    By RICHARD in forum Dog House
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 10:18 PM
  3. I hate politics!
    By Miranda_Rae in forum Dog House
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 11:31 PM
  4. Foreign Politics.
    By RICHARD in forum Dog House
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 01:28 PM
  5. politics (richard!)
    By leslie flenner in forum Dog House
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 03:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com