Thread: Politics and religion.

  1. PS...you keep looking for deeper meaning in my words. Sometimes words just mean what they mean.

    But if I take your argument that people should not be held responsible for the outcome of their words....what do we do with Hitler? Did he kill people? Or did he incite others to kill?

    In any event....to answer your question....what did I mean. I meant "don't shout fire in a crowded theater." If you do you will be responsible for the results.

  2. #1712
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Seward's Folly, AK
    Posts
    3,683
    Quick question, how many people has Obama killed? Did he kill them or by his actions or inactions cause people to be killed?.

    The difference between Beck and the rest of talk radio and Hittler is, Beck hasnt, nor can he order people to rise up with violence. Beck is not shouting fire on his radio or TV show.

    When the Lefties, sorry moderates, hear people saying they "hope it doesnt come to a rise to arms", or "a second revolution", they hear the opposite.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!



    My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

  3. #1713
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, PA - USA
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    PS...you keep looking for deeper meaning in my words. Sometimes words just mean what they mean.

    But if I take your argument that people should not be held responsible for the outcome of their words....what do we do with Hitler? Did he kill people? Or did he incite others to kill?

    In any event....to answer your question....what did I mean. I meant "don't shout fire in a crowded theater." If you do you will be responsible for the results.
    Come on ES. You are smarter than this. You MUST know the difference between being in a position of authority and giving an order and political opinion speech?

    I am not looking for the meaning of the actual words. LOL I don't assume you are a moron, please do not assume I am one either. What I want to know is why you used this specific example in the context you did. We were talking about political opinion pundits possibly motivating people to do stupid, violent things. You seemed to compare that the yelling "Fire" in a theater.

    But anyway... No answer to my question? Would you support LAW making opinion pundits somehow legally culpable for actions of their listeners?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

    - Homer Simpson


    "If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

    - Sun Tzu - Art of War

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Come on ES. You are smarter than this. You MUST know the difference between being in a position of authority and giving an order and political opinion speech?

    I am not looking for the meaning of the actual words. LOL I don't assume you are a moron, please do not assume I am one either. What I want to know is why you used this specific example in the context you did. We were talking about political opinion pundits possibly motivating people to do stupid, violent things. You seemed to compare that the yelling "Fire" in a theater.

    But anyway... No answer to my question? Would you support LAW making opinion pundits somehow legally culpable for actions of their listeners?
    Just because you messed up so badly on the other thread I will answer your question here. I do not support a new law. There are laws now on the books about inciting riots.

    What I do support is pundits having enough of a backbone to take responsibility for their words.

  5. #1715
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, PA - USA
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Just because you messed up so badly on the other thread I will answer your question here. I do not support a new law. There are laws now on the books about inciting riots.

    What I do support is pundits having enough of a backbone to take responsibility for their words.
    Thank you. Thank you for taking pity on a fool like me. How gracious of you to kneel down from your throne.

    You can, of course, think what you wish about me. But I rather enjoy that you think so low of me. Tells me many things.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

    - Homer Simpson


    "If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

    - Sun Tzu - Art of War

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    You can, of course, think what you wish about me. But I rather enjoy that you think so low of me. Tells me many things.
    No Puck...I do not think so low of you. I really don't think that much about you. What I cannot understand why it matters to you.

    You are not my enemy...you are not my ally.

    And here is the difference between you and me. I do not think low of people ....I may not agree with what they say or what they do. But it is the actions or words I judge - not the person.

  7. #1717
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, PA - USA
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    No Puck...I do not think so low of you. I really don't think that much about you. What I cannot understand why it matters to you.

    You are not my enemy...you are not my ally.

    And here is the difference between you and me. I do not think low of people ....I may not agree with what they say or what they do. But it is the actions or words I judge - not the person.
    I fail to understand how one can judge actions and/or words and not be judging the person... Isn't that what defines a person? Does not how we express ourselves show others what we think and thus what kind of person we are?

    It matters to me because context and tone are important, IMO. I am a student of history. Looking back at events from the different sides of things shows that context is very important. But I also realize that quite often those things are difficult to express properly in this medium. Perhaps that was the case here. I reckon in the grand scheme of things, it does not matter much.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

    - Homer Simpson


    "If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

    - Sun Tzu - Art of War

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    I fail to understand how one can judge actions and/or words and not be judging the person...
    I hope some day you will be able to learn how to judge the actions of a person and the words of the person making a judgement about them.

    Good luck.

  9. #1719
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,772
    http://news.aol.com/article/presiden...white%2F679083

    Ugh,

    Do we have to do this over again?

    I guess banging around with an intern ain't as bad as having the 'community organization' people you surrounded your self with implode right before your eyes?

  10. I will put this book on the same reading list as the one Dick Cheney is writing.

  11. #1721
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lancaster, PA - USA
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I hope some day you will be able to learn how to judge the actions of a person and the words of the person making a judgement about them.

    Good luck.
    Well, we all never do stop learning, eh?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

    - Homer Simpson


    "If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

    - Sun Tzu - Art of War

  12. #1722
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,772



    If this wasn't so creepy, I'd laugh?

  13. #1723
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Kentucky, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED
    Posts
    24,772
    It was a real, nice spontaneous moment when the Phillie's fan hugged his daughter after she tossed back that foul ball that he caught.

    I can see the brain trust in the WH thinking, then sending BO's daughter out to show what a family man he is.




    Daddy,
    Let me give you a hug, since you have 'dropped the ball' playing games instead of playing prez!!!

  14. #1724
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Posts
    8,925
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    It was a real, nice spontaneous moment when the Phillie's fan hugged his daughter after she tossed back that foul ball that he caught.

    I can see the brain trust in the WH thinking, then sending BO's daughter out to show what a family man he is.




    Daddy,
    Let me give you a hug, since you have 'dropped the ball' playing games instead of playing prez!!!

    Awww Richard - that wasn't nice. From what I've seen, he appears to be a good family man. At least he should get good marks for that...
    I've Been Boo'd
    Thanks, Barry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My little dogs - two heartbeats at my feet.
    by Edith Wharton & Me
    Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

    To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

  15. Ick.

    And some people wonder why racism is still suspected.

    I have no idea who the baseball player is who hugged his daughter. Not everyone has the time or inclination to watch games.

    But to suggest anyone else who then hugs his daughter does it for political reasons.

    Ick

    Ick

    Ick.
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 09-23-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Illinois Politics
    By Puckstop31 in forum Dog House
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 03:13 PM
  2. My kind of politics!
    By RICHARD in forum Dog House
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 09:18 PM
  3. I hate politics!
    By Miranda_Rae in forum Dog House
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 10:31 PM
  4. Foreign Politics.
    By RICHARD in forum Dog House
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 12:28 PM
  5. politics (richard!)
    By leslie flenner in forum Dog House
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 02:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com