Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayers for Charleston

Prayers for Charleston

We are holding all of South Carolina in our prayers, and all the families in pain, and heartbreak this night.
    I've Been Frosted

Same here. I heard on the news that this may be considered a hate crime. Seems like one to me. And to presidential candidate Perry, this was NOT an accident.
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"When dogs are looking at you, they're essentially hugging you with their eyes." -- Dr. Brian Hare

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

They are in my prayers.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Disgusting act of hatred. Good thoughts and prayers to the victims (and their friends and family) of that senseless crime.
    [/URL]
    Mikey - [Pug/Beagle Mix] Chippewa - [DT Male Betta] Shawnee - [CT Betta] Cayuse - [Female Betta] Comanche - [DSC DT male]
    "I always felt that when someone introduces you to the outdoors, you come to feel like you owe them something. ‘Cause what they really gave you is a lifetime of memories, and a lifestyle you’ll always love. Of course I suppose the best way to pay them back is to be that person for someone else. "

I heard on the radio today the victims' families offering their forgiveness to the shooter, in a gesture of their Christian faith and wishes for peace for the community. One of the things being mentioned on the news s the Confederate flag over the South Carolina statehouse. And SC residents want weigh in on taking that down?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I heard on the radio today the victims' families offering their forgiveness to the shooter, in a gesture of their Christian faith and wishes for peace for the community. One of the things being mentioned on the news s the Confederate flag over the South Carolina statehouse. And SC residents want weigh in on taking that down?

It should have never been allowed to be flown. When it was first put back up was when the US gov should have filed suit and forced it down. It's one of the flags that represent a failed government, an illegal government, the Confederate States of America.

As far as I am concerned the people that support this flag are committing sedition.

The war is over and you lost. Grow up. Get rid of the flag and what it stands for. Move on to the future. Really.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Mr. Spunky, Lady Jane, Bob, Callie, Kimi, and fosters Lucy Lou (home) and HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz (in Suzy's Zoo Sanctuary).

RIP Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

My heart is broken for those who were killed, their families, and the congregation. Their expression of forgiveness demonstrates true Christian spirit, if it happened at my church I don't know if I could forgive. The support of the entire town to this event is an example for all of us - no riots or violence. Just everyday folks of every denomination standing with a church that lost so much.
    I mean no disrespect to anyone in South Carolina but the confederate flag should not be flown. While the other flags were at half mast out of respect, the confederate flag remained at full mast. Why? It's a symbol of what split our country apart all those years ago during the civil war. Displaying it in the 21st century only encourages bigotry and racism. That's nothing to be proud of. The citizens of South Carolina are better than that.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by momcat View Post
    My heart is broken for those who were killed, their families, and the congregation. Their expression of forgiveness demonstrates true Christian spirit, if it happened at my church I don't know if I could forgive. The support of the entire town to this event is an example for all of us - no riots or violence. Just everyday folks of every denomination standing with a church that lost so much.
    I mean no disrespect to anyone in South Carolina but the confederate flag should not be flown. While the other flags were at half mast out of respect, the confederate flag remained at full mast. Why? It's a symbol of what split our country apart all those years ago during the civil war. Displaying it in the 21st century only encourages bigotry and racism. That's nothing to be proud of. The citizens of South Carolina are better than that.
    This is so sad. Finally it has come to light that racism still exists. The creep acknowledges it and isn't trying to run from it. My heart goes out to all of the victims.

I agree with you 100%. It's actually illegal to fly that flag, since it is one of a number of flags from a defeated government. If I remember correctly, the South didn't really get into using this one flag until the Civil Rights Era.

I live in South Carolina, and I was born and raised in the South. I have many southerners as friends, although I do feel a kinship with northern transplants. I can tell you from observation and experience that the Confederate Battle Flag is a symbol of racism as well as a reminder of what was past although today's southerner's do not even know anyone from the civil war era.

What they do know is institutionalized racism and inherited racism and bigotry. And not just against African Americans, Latinos, or Asians, although the racist part of bigotry is the worst. It's also against liberals, atheists, or anyone that isn't a born-again Christian. It, especially racism, is taught in homes and churches. Rural schools do not acknowledge it. White students hold mock lynchings. In some places they get in trouble. The children have no problem expressing their hatred to the others, since they have grown up in a bigoted house full of hate.

I could go on.

Thanks for listening.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Mr. Spunky, Lady Jane, Bob, Callie, Kimi, and fosters Lucy Lou (home) and HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz (in Suzy's Zoo Sanctuary).

RIP Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Disgusting act of hatred. Good thoughts and prayers to the victims (and their friends and family) of that senseless crime.
    Impossible to ignore this hate crime. One can put many labels on this vicious act of violence. Would a label or a reason, like there could be one that makes any sense,bring anyone back or lessen the pain, agony and loss for these families. Also many generations to come as well will suffer. The pain is incomprehensible. Heartbreaking and terrible. I am speechless and enraged and very,very sad.

I would also like to say, I find it pretty hard to believe that people were being asked to forgive before they were even given a chance to grieve, or even take a deep breath, c'mon now....that is ridiculous and callouse. I would imagine that the families are still in shock.

That guy is only 21 years old and he just spews hatred. I wonder, what kind of home did he grow up in? How was he raised?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Sir Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    I would also like to say, I find it pretty hard to believe that people were being asked to forgive before they were even given a chance to grieve ...
    I do not think anyone externally asked them to forgive. I am sure they did so based on their own faith, and their own needs. And by forgiving, they can begin the healing, even as they grieve.
    I've Been Frosted

I strongly disagree. Keep it real.

As the discussion is drifting away from prayers and into politics, I'd suggest it be trimmed and merged with the political discussion in the Dog House.

A few points:

Sedition isn't a crime in the United States. Every law attempting to make "sedition" a crime has been either tossed into the historical dustbin or voided by SCOTUS. We have a principle in the country called free speech.

Flying the flag of a defeated enemy isn't illegal, otherwise the embassies of Japan, Germany, Spain, Italy, Mexico, the United Kingdom, et al. would have a difficult time displaying their national colors.

I've found just as much intolerance in the south and everywhere else in the country towards born again Christians, Caucasians, conservatives, you name it. It all depends where you go and how wide you care to open your eyes and ears. Tolerance is a veneer, not reality. We are tribal critters, bigoted by nature. You can overcome that bigotry, but it is in a way defying the way we're wired. Don't believe me? Just look a the number of ways we divide ourselves. Geography, religion, skin color, favorite driver (and it's not just NASCAR, look the the tifosi), favorite sports team, it's a truly endless list.

The minor miracle to me is that despite these tendencies, we can still assemble a somewhat coherent civil society which encompasses all those divisions. When it falls apart it won't be because of the expression of those divisions, rather, it will explode because of the continued attempts to deny that those divisions exist. If we handle them in the full light of day, we can have honest, open discussions and retain a civil government. If we attempt to drive the divisions underground, and attempt to legislate a homogeneous society driven by politicians from Washington, D.C., it will turn into a disaster.

The United States is a federation of 50 states operating under what were supposed to be broad, general legal guidelines of the Constitution. Massachusetts doesn't have to be a clone of Vermont, and Utah is free to have it's own unique character rather than being a clone of Nevada. Both the citizens of the country and the legislature of the country need to go back, look at where we came from, and realize that centralized control of an entity like this won't work.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I moved it to the Dog House.
    I've Been Frosted