Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Last night's show was just odd. Maris's makeup when they first came out was jus hideous - like they let some amateur with a color kit at her! Rodney's suit and hat were obviously expensive and well-tailored, and it was funny to see Russell's mohawk got a major trim! I though Danoushka was just as rude and obnoxious as ever, I have no idea how she ever made it in the show as a potential contestant as she doesn't seem to particularly like human beings, and doesn't like food all that much! I was surprised Rodney wasn't cut first, and am not surprised at the winner. I may watch the show a couple times, just to see what it turns out like! I just disagree with the premise of it .... but maybe it will turn out to be something different, anyway!
    I've Been Frosted

Two more 'beefs' about TVFN?

The kiddie contest that Rachel and Guy are hosting.
    I like the fact that they are getting kids to cook, not thrilled about kicking them off a show because they 'cannot' cook.

The other is the 'Cutthroat Kitchen'.

Sounds like a show where bad manners are the norm?

--------

Chopped tonight had baskets of 'rotten food', coffee grounds and the heels of bread?

Time to jump the shark........fileted and served with a butter sauce.

I recently read this article - and a reminder for A Brown's cooking show made me want to share it.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...y-on-tv-chefs/

I laughed after I read it.

Brown states that he has numerous episodes of his show that showed him 'cooking'. I had to chuckle at that thought that he did a cooking 'show'.

He was more into the science and breaking down what happens when you cook - most cooking shows have assistants that do the prep and actual cooking, then setting up the shots. The host (brown) just goes thru the motions of making a meal.

He also tried to do a motorcycle trip/food show and he was pretty much a prima donna during the filming of it.

While Bourdain might not cook, I have enjoyed him MORE when he eats, He is a pretty fearless eater and fantastic writer/journalist.
    During the show -where Brown rode across America looking for food - he refused to eat some food and took a pickled pig's foot and threw it into the trash - now, if you don't want to eat something, you can be a grown up about it, not make faces and treat food like it's feces?

------

Another story about Brown was his comments after a book tour.

It had to do with his fans being overweight. His quote?

”I've struggled with weight all my life, and probably always will. But I was on my most recent book tour I was shocked by the number of overweight families,” he says. “People would come up to me and say, ‘Oh, we love the Food Network.’ Well, no (expletive); did you eat the TV? There’s only four of you and you can’t ride in an elevator together. I’ll probably make fat people angry, but we need, as a culture, to be ashamed. It’s not “… healthy.”

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you?

----------------

I saw about five minutes of the show and thought, "This guy wants the cooks to act like eye holes!" Then I thought about the casting process and wondered about how these cooks acted in their own kitchens/restaurants?

While Bourdain may not cook on his shows, he has always been interesting to watch, While not a 'cooking show' per se?

It have been like a crazy travelogue, with crazy places, dishes, adventures and most of all?

Treating the people he interacts with without snark, malice or making the people look stupid by making them fry bacon, naked?

At the end of some of Bourdain's shows, I was stunned by what I saw and how people lived. It made me even more curious about learning about the food and lifestyles of people across the planet.

Far more interesting that watching people jerk each other around to win money?

Sadly our food channel now blows chunks. I love Tony Boudaine, he has Good sense of humor and is fairly intelligent,well travelled and comfortable in his own skin. For some reason our food network has gone for a crapper as of late. A new one would be a bit of a thrill for sure. I like the Barefoot Contessa as well. I could live without Jamie Oliver but there Ishuge wide open world of cooking out there that I would love to learn in the comfort of my own home. Yes recipes are online and cookbooks rock but I love good cooking shows!

I too watch cooking and travel shows, especially Anthony Bourdain's. Don't think I would try brain or blood sausage, though! But I have eaten pigs feet in gele, which tastes quite good. Have not seen all of his shows, but quite a few of "No Reservations" and some "Layover." Have also read a few of his books.

I came across a blog recently... the woman writes about Bourdain, cats and politics, so there's something for everyone: https://catsworking.wordpress.com/2015/01/

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.