Thread: I'm curious just like a cat so....

I'm curious just like a cat so....

Is there a word or name you want to correct when a person misuses it. For me it is the word Italian, I am an Italian American so when people pronounce it Eyetalian, I just have to correct them. It just sounds so wrong to me. Have any of you come across this situation.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"I've been frosted."

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    We had a thread some time ago, which was along this line. It was more about misuse of words - such as; there and they're, or to and too, and on and on and on..... It got such criticism from some folks that felt we were the "language police" and criticizing other people, that the thread died an early death. No one was being critical of anyone - only taking note of how our crazy - and rather difficult language - is used and abused. I only speak English so can't say with any certainty, but I have heard it said that English really is a difficult language to master.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    We had a thread some time ago, which was along this line. It was more about misuse of words - such as; there and they're, or to and too, and on and on and on..... It got such criticism from some folks that felt we were the "language police" and criticizing other people, that the thread died an early death. No one was being critical of anyone - only taking note of how our crazy - and rather difficult language - is used and abused. I only speak English so can't say with any certainty, but I have heard it said that English really is a difficult language to master.
    Yes I was here when that thread showed up. I was one who always had a problem with using to and too, I still have to think twice before using those words. Sometimes I'm sure when to use them, other times I'm not so sure. I agee with you that English is a very difficult language to learn. We have many words that sound alike but are spelled differently and mean different things.

I hope no one takes offense to my post, I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"I've been frosted."

The substitution of "prolly" for "probably" makes me squirm. I think it's here to stay, though.

Here's an older thread on a similar topic.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...light=whenever
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Yes I was here when that thread showed up. I was one who always had a problem with using to and too, I still have to think twice before using those words. Sometimes I'm sure when to use them, other times I'm not so sure. I agee with you that English is a very difficult language to learn. We have many words that sound alike but are spelled differently and mean different things.

I hope no one takes offense to my post, I certainly didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.
    I don't think you hurt anyone's feelings - not to worry. I guess why I notice the misuse/abuse, is that I'm just too darn picky. I was the designated yet unofficial proofreader where I used to work. - whether it be for a new merchandise catalog waiting to be published, or a letter to "whoever" written by the department head. Don't get me wrong - I missed mistakes and they ended up going to the printer or mailed in that letter..... No one is perfect, and I'm far from it.....
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    The substitution of "prolly" for "probably" makes me squirm. I think it's here to stay, though.
    Arrrgghhhhh - I HATE that with a passion. But you're prolly correct - it's here to stay.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 05-15-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

For me its ax instead of ask. Drives me nuts, no reason, just does. I really hate it.

Lots of everyday words being misused annoy me but the worse ones are ones that I feel people should know. If you own a pure breed, you should know how to spell its name. It's Dachshund, not dashhound, like most call it. ARGH!

And from my youth, Mozart. It's Motsart, not Moe Zart.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Mr. Spunky, Lady Jane, Bob, Callie, Kimi, and fosters Lucy Lou (home) and HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz (in Suzy's Zoo Sanctuary).

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

RIP Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Artic instead of Arctic -- yes, it takes a little effort to get that "c" in there for some reason.

A co-worker says Pacific instead of specific. Never heard that one before.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life. And it cost Halo hers. Ask your vet about Polycystic kidney disease ~~ Rest in peace Willy
    Loved by Lisa

Ask is one syllable, it is phonetic. Why would someone pronounce it ax. It can't be a speach impediment as I have heard people say that and they have no other problems with English that glaring. Well I will not let it bother me any longer, could be cultural slang, harmless enough. Nope, still hate it. I'm petty.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan...ch-ax-20140119

That whole piece is worth reading, but here are a couple snippets:

...in Old English, the word for "ask" swung randomly between ascian and acsian, and nobody batted an eye.
    With "ask," some people started saying "aks," and some started saying "ash." But this time, it wasn't "ash" that won out. Instead, for a while "aks" was doing pretty well. Even Chaucer used it in "The Canterbury Tales," in lines such as this one: "Yow loveres axe I now this questioun."

There is an element of chance in how words change over time, and we will never know why "aks" and "ash" lost out to "ask." All we know is that the people whose English was designated the standard happened to be among those who said "ask" instead of "aks" and the rest is history.
    Mom to Raven, and retired racing greyhounds Rudy and Cole

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

For me, it's the spelling of German Shepherd Dog! I see it as Shepard all the time and sometimes by someone who owns one!

I love GSDs, guess that's why it bothers me so much, lol!

Forever in my heart...Casey,Ginger,Corey,Mandy,Sassy,Lacey

Yes. my dad says the word 'wash' as 'worsh' an it drives me crazy. so its never Washington its 'worshington' or 'worsh' the cloths. also when im playing Aion i have a guildmate who spells 'no' for 'know' an other stuff he does that used to drive me batty but ive gotten used to it over the years
    ڿڰۣ-ڰۣ
    ~ ~ R. I. P Kirby 9/24/99 - 3/3/14 ~ ~
    ~* * * Blog_ Dogster__Catster* * *~

~○~♥----------♥---~○♥○~------♥----------♥~○~

()__()
    (o  o) /\
    |   \/   \
    |     \vw\
    | )| )( )------------<

http://www.off-white.eu/