Family of boy killed by bear upset with Forest Service
The grandfather of an 11-year-old boy who was killed by a 300 pound black bear late Sunday night says more could have been done to avoid the tragedy.
Eldon Ives addressed members of the media on Tuesday, he asked why forest service employees didn't shut down the park or at least warn campers about a bear attack just hours earlier.
"We do feel that the camp ground should have been closed down and there should have been a warning to campers that there had been a problem with a bear in that area," says Ives.
Bear warning posted on DWR information sign
Several hours earlier Jake Francom and his girlfriend of American Fork were attacked by the same black bear in almost the same location in the Uinta National Forest.
Sam Ives was attacked in his tent while he and his family slept late Sunday night.
"They heard his screaming, 'leave me alone,' or something to that affect," says Ives. Sam was dragged from the tent, that screaming woke the family who went looking for him immediately.
"The step father didn't know what was happening, by the time he got up, there was a hole in the tent and Sam and his sleeping bag was gone," says Ives.
Sam was found, mauled, about 400 yards away.
"We're still in shock here, it's difficult to comprehend and to come to terms with," Says Ives.