Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
Results 166 to 177 of 177

Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

  1. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    But "I saw," or "I have seen" is correct! "I seen" is not.
    "I saw" is not correct, if you did not see. Likewise, "I have seen" is not correct if you did not see.

    Furthermore, it is grammatically incorrect to begin with a conjunction, such as the word "but."

    Still furthermore, it is grammatically incorrect to separate two words or two phrases with a comma when they are separated by the conjunction "or," as in "'I saw,' or 'I have seen.'"

    Worse still is correcting the moderator of a forum.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Posts
    9,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    "I saw" is not correct, if you did not see. Likewise, "I have seen" is not correct if you did not see.

    But (incorrect ) if I really have seen it, or I really did see it, then "I saw it" is correct - not "I seen it". Those hyphens I use all the time are incorrect also. Correct?

    Feel free Dan - I'm not a moderator!
    I've Been Boo'd
    Thanks, Barry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My little dogs - two heartbeats at my feet.
    by Edith Wharton & Me
    Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

    To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    36,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    "I saw" is not correct, if you did not see. Likewise, "I have seen" is not correct if you did not see.

    Furthermore, it is grammatically incorrect to begin with a conjunction, such as the word "but."

    Still furthermore, it is grammatically incorrect to separate two words or two phrases with a comma when they are separated by the conjunction "or," as in "'I saw,' or 'I have seen.'"

    Worse still is correcting the moderator of a forum.
    It is not incorrect in the course of a conversation to begin a sentence with a connection, although it is poor form in written literature.

    It is correct to say "I saw" as in "I saw the squirrel." It is also correct to say "I have seen squirrels." I only put that comma in that sentence as I was typing it and edited it to put the "or" in and therefore should have deleted the comma. I was in error in that particular instance.
    I've Been Frosted

  4. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It is not incorrect in the course of a conversation to begin a sentence with a connection, although it is poor form in written literature.

    It is correct to say "I saw" as in "I saw the squirrel." It is also correct to say "I have seen squirrels." I only put that common in that sentence as I was typing it and edited it to put the "or" in and therefore should have deleted the comma. I was in error in that particular instance.
    You are totally correct (as if you need my stamp of approval). However, I think that it is okay to "break" the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I do it all the time.

    For instance, the sentence, "I do it all the time," is grammatically incorrect. Can you tell me why?

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    36,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    For instance, the sentence, "I do it all the time," is grammatically incorrect. Can you tell me why?
    "I do it all the time," is not incorrect, unless there's nothing after the comma and that needs to be a period.
    I've Been Frosted

  6. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    You are totally correct (as if you need my stamp of approval). However, I think that it is okay to "break" the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I do it all the time.

    For instance, the sentence, "I do it all the time," is grammatically incorrect. Can you tell me why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    "I do it all the time," is not incorrect, unless there's nothing after the comma and that needs to be a period.
    In the above quote, I say "I think that it is okay to "break" the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I do it all the time."

    The context makes what I wrote okay and understandable; but technically, "I do it all the time" is grammatically incorrect. One must not use a naked pronoun -- i. e., a pronoun without an antecedent; otherwise, how is the reader to know what "it" is? The most grammatically correct way to write would be:

    "I think that it is okay to 'break' the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I 'break' the rules of grammar all the time."

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    You are totally correct (as if you need my stamp of approval). However, I think that it is okay to "break" the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I do it all the time.

    For instance, the sentence, "I do it all the time," is grammatically incorrect. Can you tell me why?
    Yes.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    25,184
    Dear golf club, I don't put gift cards in "thier" stockings; I put gift cards in their stockings. This is an awkward spelling mistake on the sign in front of the club.

    Dear banquet hall, I think the Illinois "Youht" USAC might have been a little surprised when they saw the name of their organization on your east welcome sign! It was correct on the sign that faces west, though.

    Dear whoever came up with the word "adorbz"- I flinch when I hear an adult say this. Just say adorable.

    Thank you,
    Elyse (word nerd)
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

    Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!


    "That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

    Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    597
    Too and to, I sometimes have a problem when using these two words. If you see me use these two words incorrectly, please correct me


    "Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

    Every life should have nine cats. Anonymous

    "I've been frosted."

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    36,778
    Quote Originally Posted by redbird View Post
    Too and to, I sometimes have a problem when using these two words. If you see me use these two words incorrectly, please correct me
    If I notice that mistake in a post of yours, i would let you know! It is funny, my most common typo - which I often Make, post, then go back and correct, is hitting a semicolon instead of an apostrophe. I know which is correct, just hit the wrong key!
    I've Been Frosted

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark - GMT+1
    Posts
    14,805
    I went back to read this thread, it's actually quite informative and I think I've got most of it sorted out concerning "lay down and "lie" down. You "lie" down to have a rest, and he "lay" down to have a rest - or should that be he "laid" down to have a rest? No, I think it is: He "laid" the blanket on the bed, or he "laid" the table.

    Now, if you lie to someone about something (not telling the truth), is it: "He lied to you" in past tense? And... he will never "lie" to you?
    Randi



    "I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.


  12. #177
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA, USA
    Posts
    36,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I went back to read this thread, it's actually quite informative and I think I've got most of it sorted out concerning "lay down and "lie" down. You "lie" down to have a rest, and he "lay" down to have a rest - or should that be he "laid" down to have a rest? No, I think it is: He "laid" the blanket on the bed, or he "laid" the table.

    Now, if you lie to someone about something (not telling the truth), is it: "He lied to you" in past tense? And... he will never "lie" to you?
    It would be he lied to you, that is the past tense. And he would never lie to a judge ... - anything about untruths is lie
    He lied He lies He told a lie He will lie
    I've Been Frosted

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 05:49 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 01:22 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-15-2006, 03:36 PM
  5. Leslie's Rescue "Simon" and "Noel" (another ch girl)
    By QueenScoopalot in forum Cat General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 08:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com