Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: The dogs got fixed... question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    5,525

    The dogs got fixed... question

    We picked up the dogs at the vet. They told me to watch Molli because she licks herself. Well, when we got home Sam is the one who licks. He keeps trying and trying and we tell him no and move his head. He got angry and growled and then tryed to bite. How do we stop him?? We gave him some pain pills to see if it works. Molli is being an angel and sleeping right now.

    *Sammy*Springen*Molli*

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    5,395
    Get an elizabethan collar (e-collar, or cone) for them to wear. Charlie had to wear one. He hated it, but it helped because he could not chew on the incision.

    Get a clear one so they can see better, not a frosted or opaque one.

    facebook

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    4,558
    I was going to suggest the samething.
    good luck with them.

    ~ ~ R. I. P Kirby 9/24/99 - 3/3/14 ~ ~
    ~* * * Blog_ Dogster__Catster* * *~

    ~○~♥----------♥---~○♥○~------♥----------♥~○~
    ________________
    ________________________
    ____________

    ()__()
    (o  o) /\
    |   \/   \
    |     \vw\
    | )| )( )------------<

    http://www.off-white.eu/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    5,525
    Thanks. My mom just left to go get one.

    Should we keep it on when he goes to bed? I'm sure that's when he'll lick the stitches.

    *Sammy*Springen*Molli*

  5. #5
    Cracker didn't like the E-collar so I put superman boys breifs on him and cut out a hole for the tail and the front so he could pee without a problem. Kept him from licking and worked great, without having the collar.

    Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!


    I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Shhh it's a secret;)
    Posts
    3,469
    Quote Originally Posted by dab_20
    Thanks. My mom just left to go get one.

    Should we keep it on when he goes to bed? I'm sure that's when he'll lick the stitches.

    It should be fine when he sleeps. When Maggie had a nasty sore on her leg, we kept it on all the time except when we were watching her outside and to eat and drink, although she could eat and drink with it on.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    5,525
    Quote Originally Posted by animal_rescue
    It should be fine when he sleeps. When Maggie had a nasty sore on her leg, we kept it on all the time except when we were watching her outside and to eat and drink, although she could eat and drink with it on.
    We keep it on when he's outside. He won't pee. He just stands there. Should I take it off when he goes outside? That's alot of hastle though, to take it off and put it back on every time he has to go potty. I think it's too big for him to eat with.

    *Sammy*Springen*Molli*

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    5,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    Cracker didn't like the E-collar so I put superman boys breifs on him and cut out a hole for the tail and the front so he could pee without a problem. Kept him from licking and worked great, without having the collar.
    Thats a good idea! We don't have any boys breifs though.

    One more question... How much should I feed them tomorrow? The vet told me not to feed them as much but she wasn't very specific. Sam usually gets 3/4 C in the morning and at night. Molli gets 1/2 in the morning and 1/4 C at night. Any ideas?

    *Sammy*Springen*Molli*

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    5,395
    I would probably feed half just for tomorrow, then go back to regular size portions.

    facebook

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    8,046
    I'm glad to hear that the surgeries were a sucess!

    Yes you can take the collar off when you are there to supervise, potty time, eating, etc...

    It's too late now as you already have your collar but this may help someone in the future, they now offer more styles of e-collars, some are much mroe comfortable than the older e-style collar.
    soft e-collar
    bite not collar


    Raustyk had to wear one when she had her first cruciate repaired and boy did she hate it, but it was much better than her ruining the incision which could cause a lot more damage than good.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    5,395
    Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I'm glad to hear that the surgeries were a sucess!

    Yes you can take the collar off when you are there to supervise, potty time, eating, etc...

    It's too late now as you already have your collar but this may help someone in the future, they now offer more styles of e-collars, some are much mroe comfortable than the older e-style collar.
    soft e-collar
    bite not collar


    Raustyk had to wear one when she had her first cruciate repaired and boy did she hate it, but it was much better than her ruining the incision which could cause a lot more damage than good.
    Wow, thanks for those. I've seen the soft ecollar before but didn't really look into it a whole lot. Charlie absolutely H-A-T-E-D his plastic e-collar. He thrashed around all night when he had it on. If I ever have to get one again I will definitely look into one of those!

    facebook

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    5,525
    Thanks everyone. Thanks lv4dogs, next time I will use one of those! Sam hated his collar and wouldn't even move yesterday. Now today he thrashes around and cries and runs all over the place because he is so frightened of it. I feel awful for him. They both are completly back to normal, runnign around like nuts, it is hard to get Molli to calm down... especcially when Sam has those spaz attacks! They are eating and drinking good. I was trying to put Molli's medicine on some cheese and the stuff woulden't come out so I pushed it harder and it went all over! My mom is going to POed when she finds out. lol

    *Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 05:11 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 02:48 PM
  3. Jake got fixed Thurs.. and a question
    By ashleycat in forum Cat General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2007, 07:02 PM
  4. Question about Rescue Dogs...
    By belterv in forum Dog General
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 09:12 AM
  5. Question about Spaying dogs...
    By ellensy in forum Dog General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2002, 09:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com