I got this in an email, and ever SINGLE line is SO true! It's funny for me, because I live by a smaller town (population 8,410) but I go to school/ practically live, in an even smaller town (population 94 ) I can refer back to every one of these: (EDIT: except for the drinking/ buying beer ones )
Those who grew up in small towns will laugh when they read this. Those who didn't will be in disbelief.
1) You can name everyone you graduated with.
2) You know what 4-H means.
3) You went to parties at a pasture, barn, gravel pit, or in the
middle of a dirt road. On Monday you could always tell who was at the party because of the scratches on their legs from running through the woods when
party was busted. (See ..6)
4) You used to drive by the one and only bar to see if your pals were inside havin a beer
5) You said the "F" word and your parents knew within the hour.
6) You scheduled parties around the schedules of different police officers, because you knew which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.
7) You could never buy beer or cigaretts because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough, they'd tell your
8) When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to try and buy the beer,
you still had to go out into the country and drive on
back roads to drink them.
9) You knew which section of the ditch you would find the beer
buyer dropped off.
10) It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.
11) The whole school went to the same party after graduation.
12) You didn't give directions by street names but rather by
references. Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks to Anderson's, and it's four houses left of the track field.
13) The golf course had only 9 holes.
14) You couldn't help but date a friend's ex boyfriend/girlfriend.
15) Your car stayed filthy because of the dirt roads, and you will
never own a dark vehicle for this reason.
16) The town next to you was considered "trashy" or "snooty," but was actually just like your town.
17) You referred to anyone with a house newer then 1965 as the "rich people.
18) The people in the "big city" dressed funny, and then you
picked up the trend 2 years later.
19) Anyone you wanted could be found at the local gas station, the
town bar, or the A&W.
20) You saw at least one friend a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends driving a swather down the highway
21) The Wrestling Coach suggested you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.
22) Directions were given using THE stop light as a reference.
23) When you decided to walk somewhere for exercise, 5 people
pull over and ask if you wanted a ride.
24) Your teachers called you by your older siblings' names.
25) Your teachers remembered when they taught your parents.
26) You could charge at any local store or write checks without
27) The closest McDonalds was 25 miles away (or more).
28) The closest mall was over an hour away.
29) It was normal to see an old man riding through town on a
30) You've peed in an alfalfa field.
31) Most people went by a nickname.
32) You laughed your butt off reading this because you know it is
true, and you forward it to everyone who may have lived in a small
I would not have wanted to been raised any other way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it does show you another life for sure)
Tough times don't last... Tough people do.....