I pill three of my cats. I used to use the pill pockets, but spent too much time trying to determine if they ate it or not. Now I use a pill popper. Make sure you get the cat sized one. The dog sized ones are just too big for their mouths.
I pill two on the floor. They are standing against my legs (my heels are together so there is a barrier to the backward moving), and I put my left hand over their heads, kind of hiding their eyes . My thumb is on the right side of the cat's face, and my other finger on the left side of the cats face, and my palm kind of covers their eyes. I apply pressure with my thumb/fingers and the jaw just opens up. Then, I shoot the pill in there with the right hand.
I do this all in about 3 seconds. It took time to get this time down, but it is sooo simple now. And, one of the three is what I would call a "pistol" of a cat. :-0 I immediately treat them to wet food after this. So they are so focused on the reward that is coming they hardly pay any attention to the pre-food activities.
Liquids/grinding into liquids...to me, that is just so much harder to deal with.
Chessie was always good about taking his pills. Before losing him to his heart issue, he was taking three medicines twice a day (part of a baby aspirin every other day). Of course, I always gave him treats afterwards so he knew that once he took the medicine, he was going to get what he loved. :)
If you are trying to give your kitty lysine, it is available in a powder format from Amazon.com. There is no taste to it and I just mix it in with their food.
Otherwise I end up using a combination of pill pockets or a pill popper (depending on the cat)
I don't this will be any help, but I cannot resist to post this.....;):D
How to Give a Cat a Pill (followed by How to Give a Dog a Pill)
1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm, as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat‚€™s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop in the pill. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
2. Retrieve pill from floor, and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.
3. Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw away soggy pill.
4. Take new pill from foil wrapper. Cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force open the jaws and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl, and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees. Hold front and rear paws, ignoring low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand, while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat‚€™s throat vigorously.
7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, and get another pill from foil wrapper. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth, and set aside for gluing later.
8. Wrap cat in large towel, and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat‚€™s mouth open with pencil, and blow down straw.
9. Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans. Drink one beer to take awy taste of pill. Apply Band-Aid to spouse‚€™s forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
10. Retrieve cat from neighbour‚€™s shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
11. Fetch screwdriver from garage, and replace cupboard door on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of Scotch. Pour shot and drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check medical records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw away tee-shirt and fetch another one from bedroom.
12. Call fire department to retrieve ****ing cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrapper.
13. Tie the little sod‚€™s front paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Fetch heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth, followed by large piece of fillet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour two pints of water down throat to wash down pill.
14. Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm, and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call in at furniture shop on the way home, to order new dining table.
15. Place ‚€œFree Mutant Cat from Hell‚€Ě ad in local newspaper and ring local pet shop to see if they have any bunnies.
How to Give a Dog a Pill
1. Wrap it in bacon.