Got the Previcox today and Ethan's fever went from being 103.2 this morning to 101.7, so thats good. I worked today, and mom said that from 10am to the time I got home (5pm) he didn't move. I guess the previcox started kicking in because he was just able to stand up when I went over to say hi to him. With some coaxing I got him to eat and then carried him out to do his business. To sum it up, he is still eating and drinking and his fever is going down... so, Yay! He seems to do better when I am home, so its good that I have the next three days off.
I talked with my sister (who works for our vet), and she told me the doc's game plan. After this round of Previcox, if he isn't better and stays better, we are going to have to try steroids. There is no way to tell how he will react to the steroids until we try, basically it could help right away or it could be really hard on him. If he does have to go that route, he will have to either stay at the clinic or with my sister during the duration of the treatment. Of course, my sister and I both agree that he will be staying with her.
Right now there is a lot that is still up in the air. I'm just hoping for the best.
I know I'm too late for this week's radio show, but if I think of any specific questions I will PM you. :) Thanks.
Originally Posted by Karen
Ethan has had a few shots to help with fever and pain, and I guess we just stick to Previcox 'cause we know it works. This is a superb vet, and I trust him tremendously. If it comes to a point where I second guess him in the slightest, I definitely won't hesitate to seek a second opinion. It turns out our vet does have a plan, as I just mentioned above. Often I don't get all the information because my work schedule doesn't always allow me to be there for Ethan's visits to the vet and I rely on my sister to relay the message to me. Sometimes things get lost in translation.
Originally Posted by lizbud
Prayers and positive vibes going out for Ethan. It's so exasperating when you can't get a positive diagnosis, one way or the other. His on and off again symptoms are certainly puzzling. Hope the vet finds an answer, and a solution, soon!
Just here checking in for an update. ((((((HUGS))))) for Ethan and Casper - some for Sala and Towser, too. I'll keep praying and go light another candle. :love:
Thanks for the support, guys. My poor Ethan isn't feeling as well as I would expect him to at this point. He was crying a lot last night, but when I got him to sleep under the covers with me he calmed down a bit. He doesn't put any weight on his front right paw (the one that swelled the most a while back) and he pretty much just sleeps a lot. I have been able to keep him eating and drinking fine, so thats better than nothing. We have six days worth of meds left before we return to the vet and see where we go from there.
I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))
Well, more bloodwork and xrays has led to more questioning symptoms. On his bloodwork, his lymphocytes were still low (kinda expected that), but the xrays show he has bown growth throughout his body, but mainly on the leg he hasn't been using. On his problem leg he has some muscle dystrophy and his elbow is actually fused at a 90 degree angle so he can't straighten it. The bone growth is causing him to hurt throughout his whole body and thats why he is crying a lot and getting aggressive towards us. :( Right now we are focusing on seeing if we can manage the pain. He isn't taking Previcox anymore, and is instead on Tramadol and Prednisone.
Ethan's doctor isn't sure if he will regain usage of that leg or not. He is consulting with other veterinarians and has gotten a hold of a specialist out of Memphis who helped rule out a few things. We aren't sure if he will regain usage of that bad leg, and we will know if the Prednisone helps within 48 hours. If it doesn't, then we are at another dead end again...
Thanks again guys for the continued prayers for my boy. It means a lot to us. :love: