TO quote the above site:
Uses of the Fund
With the consolidation of these funds and the collection of a tax on the petroleum industry, the Fund increased to $1 billion. Fund uses were delineated by OPA to include:
* Removal costs incurred by the Coast Guard and EPA
* State access for removal activities;
* Payments to federal, state, and Indian tribe trustees to conduct natural resource damage assessments and restorations;
* Payment of claims for uncompensated removal costs and damages;
* Research and development; and
* Other specific appropriations.
The Energy Policy Act of 2005 increased the maximum size of the Fund to $2.7 billion.
Given they know what Valdez has cost and will cost, I think Congress dropped the ball in not increasing the size of the "fund" beyond $2.7B........but wait.......there was no fund:
WALL STREET JOURNAL: “Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell Of Kentucky Said Tuesday That Democrats Were Raiding The Fund To Pay For Programs Not Related To Oil-Spill Cleanup. New Revenue Raised By The Levy ‘Ought To Be Used To Clean Up Spills,’ He Said.”
Never let a good crisis go to waste, especially if you can use it for a shakedown for your pet projects.
This gang of crooks has to go.
The lot of them.