PDA

View Full Version : Problems with female cats.

wayne0214
04-16-2002, 08:07 AM
Tthis could have been placed with the thread asking about neutering, but will make it a separate thread.

Most of the major problems with my several furkids are from the females and more specifically, from the queens. Some of the more dominant ones chase off the others who will not put up a fight with them, including Princess. Will spaying stop this undesired behavior, or will have to re-home some of them?

Former User
04-16-2002, 08:10 AM
How many cats you have? I guess there are more problems with more cats... We have 2 and those are hand full for us! I guess when having many cats, they tend to fight for the "place on the sun", who gets to be the Queen of them all...

wayne0214
04-16-2002, 08:20 AM
C & K, there are 10 cats in the menagerie. They all get along except Mama Cat and Fluffy Although, these two get along with each other, there are constant difficulties with the others. I love both of them, but I am at wits end as to know what to do with them.

.........wayne

Former User
04-16-2002, 08:29 AM
Have you asked from your vet would spaying solve this kind of behaviour? I honestly have no idea what you could do, I guess I only can wish you a good luck! Maybe this great big internet has some advices? Maybe Petscape Navigator (http://www.petscapenavigator.com./) will help?

sasvermont
04-16-2002, 09:09 AM
Wayne, my guess would be that if you had them spayed, they would natually become less territorial but I doubt if they will give up the behavior entirely. Altering cats most definately calms them down and I would highly recommend it. Sometimes Vets give a discount rate. My concern and reason for spaying etc. is to reduce the excess numbers of cats in this world. My two, in this situation are brother and sister so I was in a bit of a worried state as they matured, hoping I would get them fixed just in time. I did. At six months of age.

I would vote to have them spayed, for sure. It is much easier on their health too.

Good luck,

SAS and her brats

Former User
04-16-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont

SAS and her brats

:D :D :D

yorkster
04-16-2002, 04:34 PM
I think spaying and neutering will help quite a bit! Usually the sooner you get it done, the better, and less chance of them starting the 'bad' behavior :eek:
I have always had my males neutered at about 6 months, if not sooner.
I have not had a female for awhile, but I know Liza (RB) was spayed at UNDER a year...........maybe 7-9 months. I don't remember exactily. :)

4 feline house
04-16-2002, 09:54 PM
Wayne, your cats really should be spayed anyway. I don't remember you mentioning that you breed (but maybe I've forgotten) so there is no reason to keep them whole. Spaying them may make them less aggressive, but it will also ensure no unwanted pregnancies and will protect them from some types of cancers as they age.

purrley
04-17-2002, 06:55 AM
Wayne - are you breeding lots of kitties???? Unless you want to increase your cat population it only makes sense to spay anyway and worry about the behavior later.

mylunalove
04-18-2002, 12:37 AM
spaying makes sense for not only your cats heath, it possibly might help ease her into communal living! Spaying like others have said helps reduce the unwanted cats, kittens, puppies and dogs from dying alone and unloved.
10 cats is a lot! How many catboxes do you have?
Believe it or not cats can be altered as young as 8 weeks old! Yes 8 WEEKS! The shelter I volunteer with sends animals home spayed or neutered. It's a great place!

Any way good luck with your kitty colony Wayne, peace & harmony

"We must become the change we want to see in the world" :rolleyes:

wayne0214
04-18-2002, 06:00 AM
mylunalove, I keep 3 full-time litterboxes in the house, one is large, about 48" x 24" and is about 4" deep. All of them have wheels on them with a pull rope. Since I live in a very rural area of central Calif., all of my furkids have access to the outside, and there is plenty of room for all of them. There are only a few that will naturally stay in the house with me, while the others prefer to stay outside, in their several cat shelters I have made for them. Some of them are on the roof under the eaves while others are mounted on the side of this little dwelling behind the trees, and are up high for safety reasons. Spaying and neutering is on the agenda for this year, and especially for those who live in the home with me. Before I became familiar with Pet Talk I kept cats for utilitarian purposes only because of the mice, rats, snakes, and gophers around the area. But now that the education factor is being enlightened for me concerning them, I am appreciating my furkids more as an intimate companion rather than a utilitarian animal.

Since my first visit to an SPCA animal shelter a couple of weeks ago,Ii realize now that "my cats are not the only ones"around! Yet the nearest shelter is nearly 40 miles away in western Visalia. I saw a few cats that I would like to have brought home with me, but I have so many now. So, when I can find homes for some of those that I currently have now, I must forceably restrain myself from taking on more sheltered animals!

BTW, no longer have I posted this problem with the several queens than it has ceased to be a difficulty! I cannot explain their behavior.:confused:

.......wayne

AmberLee
04-18-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by wayne0214
... no longer have I posted this problem ... than it has ceased to be a difficulty! I cannot explain their behavior. ...

:rolleyes: :confused:
This is NOT an explanation, just a theory, but my cats almost always specialize in behaving contrarially to what I've said about them or posted about them. It's almost uncanny. As I don't believe they can read my posts, I suspect it is something in a cat's nature to behave in a contrary fashion to my body language. I'm still working on this. A.L. wanders away, dolefully, tunelessly, humming the old Twilight Zone theme...

wayne0214
04-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Amberlee, So you have noticed that also!:D

........wayne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-18-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee

:rolleyes: :confused:
This is NOT an explanation, just a theory, but my cats almost always specialize in behaving contrarially to what I've said about them or posted about them. It's almost uncanny. As I don't believe they can read my posts, I suspect it is something in a cat's nature to behave in a contrary fashion to my body language. I'm still working on this. A.L. wanders away, dolefully, tunelessly, humming the old Twilight Zone theme...

Hmmm....it seems that Tubby has been acting very mean to Peanut lately. Biting her and chasing her and generally just "beating her up." What do you think I should do about it?

(psst. Not really, I was just hoping he'd do the opposite and start being really nice to her and maybe snuggling with her and acting like a really nice older brother instead of always having to be the dominant one. Sorry if I worried anybody by saying that.) :D

AmberLee
04-18-2002, 11:16 PM
:D :D :D !!!! ROTFLOL!!!!

That's it! The experiment begins!!!

mylunalove
04-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Soooooooooo true about our feline friends! They most certinly specialize in behaving contrarially!!! I know that's why I love my cats so very much! I never know what to expect!

Wow Wayne your kitties box sounds JUMBO sized! My two cats each have their own box. When I had three cats my vet recommended having 4 boxes. That was a lot of scooping! One of my neutered males starting spraying at the age of 4, spent nearly 7 months trying several different things to cure him.......sadly nothing worked. My vet talked to me about a costly operation that might help, but no sure cure. I was at my witts end by this point, and knowing Mookie like I did I decided to do what was most humane for him. Since he was deathly afraid of other people another home was out of the question. I had him but to sleep........he's happier know in kitty heaven, and a little piece of him has been reincrated (spelling?) in my Luna..so while it was hard at the time it really was for the best.
Geee did I get off on a tangent! I wanted to say congrats to you Wayne for seeing there's more to felines then just pest control!

peace & harmony

gini
04-19-2002, 12:16 AM
:D :D :D !!!! ROTFLOL!!!!

That's it! The experiment begins!!!

Amberlee, what does ROTFLOL mean? Everytime I see it, I go blank!

AmberLee
04-19-2002, 02:39 AM
Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Loud -- like our lives don't have enough acronyms already! But this one is more fun than most!

;) Aren't you glad you asked? :p

Former User
04-19-2002, 02:43 AM
Rolling On The Floor Laughing Out Loud -- like our lives don't have enough acronyms already! But this one is more fun than most!

;) Aren't you glad you asked? :p

ROTFLMAO ;)
and that took a way the problem of hoovering today, got all the cat hair on me now :rolleyes:

Ila
04-19-2002, 07:10 PM
We had a cat years ago that sprayed. We had spayed and still sprayed. Our vet said there was not much we could do that the cat was marking its territory and once most cats start that they continue. In our case the vet was right it never stopped the cat became an outside cat.

krazyaboutkatz
04-20-2002, 02:20 AM
I think you should get your cats spayed and neutered before they start spraying and also to avoid unwanted pregnancies. They will become calmer, healthier, and happier cats.