PDA

View Full Version : big cat

icedtea
01-24-2006, 01:23 PM
i have already sorta written about this, but i figure ill get a quicker response this way. the cat we are considering at the shelter is a very big cat, the biggest cat there. i am worried he will try to beat up my little girl kitten Seafa Cat.

catnapper
01-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Don't worry. My Allen is 20 pounds and oh-so gentle with the little ones. Just make sure he's not aggressive. If he is, THEN you should worry.

RedHedd
01-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Mishi is about 15 lbs. Big does not necessarily mean they are mean. Maine Coons are known as the gentle giants of the feline world and my big boy certainly lives up to that reputation - he's a huge love bug. There's just a whole heck of a lot more cat to love! I love my hunka-hunka orangie love!
Go for it!

Don Juan's mom
01-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Neutered males are often very gentle and caring with kittens. You may want to have a kennel for the new baby, so that they can get acquainted in a safe environment (and to insure that the kitten doesn't get into any trouble or danger when the humans are asleep or out of the house).

Don Juan did a bit of hissing and tail-fluffing when he first met Zerlina, but he also gave her some affectionate licks on her ears. :)

Liz

Laura's Babies
01-24-2006, 02:17 PM
I had a rather large male years ago that adopted many kittens and was better than a Mama cat with them.. A lot of them ARE gentle giants!

catmandu
01-24-2006, 02:48 PM
A Lot of those Bigger Cats are as many of Our Fellow Pet Talkers have stated very gentle.
Moose,Ragnar and RB Mr Fluffy and Rb Tiger were very good with the Smaller Cats.
And RB Mr Scratchy kept Scrappy 2 alive,with his warmth,and letting her eat first last year,even with the steak.
I would urge you to give the Big Fellow a chnace,and your Girl Kitten will have a Teddy Bear as a Friend.

kuhio98
01-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Halo is 11 pounds and Pepper is 6. Pepper regularly beats the crap out of Halo. Halo won't fight back. She's not aggressive at all. She just runs. So, it's not the size that counts, it's the temperment.

icedtea
01-24-2006, 03:04 PM
update----
we checked out the spca. ikus (the big cat) bit my brother and we all agreed he wasnt the one for us. we spoted a nice big grey cat, 3 years, called joey. we think that if hes still there when we get home from hanmer springs (our holiday spot) we might adopt him. Well have to convince my Dad about him, though. Otherwise there was a precious black 1 yr old called princess Layla who recently had ktens (also at the spca) and so she would be good with Seafa. We're going to spend our holiday thinking about cats and convincing my Dad!!