PDA

View Full Version : We're Buying from a Breeder

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 02:29 AM
We have made our final decision... http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Feelings/Exit-Stage-Right.gif

Ugh, I know, I should be adopting from a shelter. We have been searching the shelters for a Labrador Retriever for quite sometime with no luck. It seems that almost all the dogs are lab crosses. Our landlords love big dogs, and have agreed to let us have a Lab. We are going to get a chocolate, show bred lab. Not to put in shows - just the stockier type. I know that they are more calm than the field bred labs.

Now my question is, how in the heck do I go about finding a reputable breeder? I have no clue what to look for/ask? I will be getting a registered/registerable lab puppy - does this always mean it came from a reputable breeder? It would be registered with the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club, not the Continental Kennel Club). I know there are people on here with labs, not neccesarily registered ones, but they are still labs. When does a good breeder let their pups leave? 12 weeks?

Why dont I consider a mix? I feel, that I cannot control a dominant breed and shelters dont really know what the dog is crossed with, they make an assumption. Most breeds are recommended for people with older children - not my case. Dont get me wrong - I adore all dogs. Golden Retrievers also fit my lifestyle, but DH doesnt like longhaired dogs (dont ask why, he doesnt have an answer). One part of me feels like a pile of crap not saving a dog from death, but the other part so badly wants to buy from a reputable breeder.

Now, there arent many Lab breeders in BC, but I have found all their websites. If you would like to take a look I can post them.

http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Banners/Thanx.gif

Kfamr
01-24-2006, 03:56 AM
Is there any reason you MUST have a pure bred dog - Breeding, showing, etc?

Finding the perfect dog isn't going to happen in a few weeks, especially if you decide to go with a breeder. Keep looking in the shelters. Contact some rescues.

Found this cutie within seconds of looking for shelters/rescues in BC.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5668695

cloverfdx
01-24-2006, 05:24 AM
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Shelterid=BC02&sort=pet.Breed&pet.Animal=Dog&preview=1

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Shelterid=BC70&sort=pet.Breed&pet.Animal=Dog&preview=1

I guess you have already checked the above ^?. I am still searching for you ;). It would be a shame to knock back a dog because it is a X breed :(.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 05:41 AM
Is there any reason you MUST have a pure bred dog - Breeding, showing, etc?

Finding the perfect dog isn't going to happen in a few weeks, especially if you decide to go with a breeder. Keep looking in the shelters. Contact some rescues.

Found this cutie within seconds of looking for shelters/rescues in BC.

Gee, I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. I have many reasons why I want a dog from a breeder.

1.) My local SPCA most likely WONT adopt a dog to me. I dont have a yard and I have a 2 year old daughter, according to the SPCA, most of their dogs wont tolerate small children. I did my practicum there, so I know how their adoption process works. I live in an apartment and the location doesnt help - the SPCA probably wouldnt adopt to me just because of that. They are more strict than any other shelter I have seen. Other rescues can be extremely strict, making adopting a dog harder than it seems.

2.) The avoidance of backyard breeders.

3.) My DH and I both want a Lab, we feel this is the best choice for our daughter. We already had a terrible experience with a Rottweiler, it scares the crap out of me - my daughter could be dead because I chose the wrong breed of dog for our lifestyle.

4.) Like I said, I feel that I CANNOT handle a dominant dog or aggressive dog.

5.) We are still keeping our eyes peeled at the shelters, but most labs are adopted VERY quickly.

There are people with purebred dogs, there are people with mixed breed dogs. Does it make me a bad person for wanting a purebred? I think not.

And it hasnt been a few weeks, it has been over 5 months that we have been looking.

:o

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 05:50 AM
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Shelterid=BC02&sort=pet.Breed&pet.Animal=Dog&preview=1

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Shelterid=BC70&sort=pet.Breed&pet.Animal=Dog&preview=1

I guess you have already checked the above ^?. I am still searching for you ;). It would be a shame to knock back a dog because it is a X breed :(.

I have looked at all the dogs in every single shelter in BC. I dont feel that I should be looked down upon because I feel a purebred (I dont care about papers) is the best choice for me. I have a 2 year old daughter and not EVERY dog is going to be good with kids. Yes, adult dogs dont have behaviour surprises, but I have all the time in the world for a puppy. If it happens that a lab will come into the shelter that doesnt say "not good with small children" or doesnt say "must have a large fenced yard" or "needs experienced owner" or "not good with cats" I will be happy to have a look.

This place use to be so warm and inviting, now I feel that no matter what I post - I always get negative feedback. I never, ever get "Im so happy for you". It is sad. Really sad.

Why doesnt anyone ever say anything to people that have been here longer than me that are getting a purebred dog? Why am I any different? I am a mature woman and feel my choice is the best for my family. I am NOT buying a purebred because I want to be cool, or show, or breed - but because I want a dog that exibits the traits of a properly bred lab.

http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Sad/Bawling.gif

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 05:52 AM
Oh and by the way, I never asked for anyones opinions on my decision. I asked for information on finding a reputable breeder...

:rolleyes:

Roxyluvsme13
01-24-2006, 07:42 AM
Hmm...Well, I think a good reputable breeder would feed a good quality dog food, the puppies will have been to the vet quite a few times, and...you should be allowed to see the parents. Oh, and the place should be REALLY clean. Hope that helps :)

buttercup132
01-24-2006, 07:49 AM
I see exactly where your coming from . Plus shelters don't know that they are purebred like the one here http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?ac...l=Dog&preview=1
The very last one says Labrador Retriver! It's no way purebred look at that tail for one! Theres nothing wrong from buying from a breeder if they are good. Oh and Kay she already stated in her first post she wants a show breed lab because she likes the stockier type and they are less hyper then feild bred Labs(you might want to read the whole post!) As for looking for a breeder I will try and find you one I own TONS of the dog Canada magazines they ones they come out with that are packed with info and breeders.

.sarah
01-24-2006, 07:52 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with going through a reputable breeder, especially if you have a child. A lot of dogs in shelters are not kid-tested, and I know if I had a little one I'd be scared to "test them" on my kid. As long as you're going through a good breeder, I don't see any problem with it :)

Now my question is, how in the heck do I go about finding a reputable breeder? I have no clue what to look for/ask?
You do not want to see things like "Great birthday gifts", "Christmas puppies" or any other thing that makes the puppies seem like objects to make money.

Looking at pedigrees is usually a sure-fire way to see what your dog will end up like. No titles? How do you know what those dogs were like? You probably don't. I know very little about Nova's heritage even after extensive research. Every little bit I found (great gransire's son's cousin, for example :p) took a lot of work finding.

Here is an example of an awesome pedigree: Darby's Pedigree (http://www.kelrobin.com/darby-ped.html). The CH titles are a good sign of a reputable show breeder. You want to see them in a pedigree because most BYBs do not show (however sometimes this does happen). There are a few titles that test a dog's temperment that you should look for. The most common is CGC. CGC stands for Canine Good Citizen and this means the dog went through a test to qualify him as "safe in public" and "obedient". TD and TDI are both therapy dog titles. A dog with either title has been through a series of tests to qualify it to visit nursing homes, hospitals, etc. as a certified therapy dog. Another title is TT, which stands for Temperment Tested. Obedience titles are also a good sign. Here is a page with most (if not all) titles that can be in a pedigree: Dog Titles & Abbreviations (http://www.justfurkids.com/dog_titles.html)

Here is an example of two plain pedigrees: Max and Cheif's Pedigree (http://sundancerlabs.com/page2.html). These dog's heritage (the top dog is the father of the dog at the bottom) has no titles - not a good sign. Who's to say that his parents weren't horrible examples of Labs - both physically and mentally - and this dog came out just fine? You never want to get a dog with a pedigree like this! I actually contacted this breeder once. Max, the dog at the top, is a rescue. She decided to breed him to "get a dog like him without the abuse issues". She looks fine and dandy, nothing looks wrong except for the pedigree, but when I contacted her about why she bred her dogs, I got a whole bowl of excuses to fish from. ALWAYS talk to the breeders thouroughly, always!

Another thing you want to see is them asking you a ton, and I do mean a ton of questions about you, your daughter, your husband, your jobs, your lifestyle, etc. You do not want a breeder to just hand you over the dog after he/she has recieved the money. You also need to be asking a ton of questions. Here is a good link about that: Breeders (http://www.geocities.com/danehandbook/breeders.htm)

You also want to see health testing. For Labs, hip and elbow screenings by PennHip or OFA are a must. Don't fall for a breeder who says "their hips are fine" or "the vet had a look, we got the ok". OFA and PennHip solidify that this dog's hips and elbows are in good shape, something even some experienced vets can't do. Nova, at the moment, is fine, but her senior years sure are going to suck. She has moderate Hip Dysplasia and mild Elbow Dysplasia - all because her breeder didn't health test their dogs. Elbow Dysplasia is actually more common in Labs than Hip Dysplasia, and I've seen quite a few Lab breeders who still don't test for it. Make sure your breeder does.

Another important health test is CERF (Canine Eye Registration Foundation). You want the dogs to be cleared yearly. Also look for thyroid testing and cardiac testing. Not as important, but still important. Another test that can be performed is for CNM (Labrador Myopathy). It's a very crippling disease that only exists in Labs. However, most breeders don't test for it, so don't assume they're bad because they don't. It's kind of like the cherry on top.

I will be getting a registered/registerable lab puppy - does this always mean it came from a reputable breeder?
No, and this is something to watch out for. A BYB will try enforce their "papers" to the full extent. Papers, even with good titles, can mean nothing without a good area to be raised in from birth, which a BYB will not provide.

When does a good breeder let their pups leave? 12 weeks?
Between 8-12 weeks, though 8 weeks is most common. There is new research out suggesting for puppies to stay with mom and siblings until 12 weeks, but a lot of breeders still don't know about this. I wouldn't worry if someone was letting their pups go at 8 weeks. If you've found an awesome kennel and their only fault is that they let their pups go at any younger, please just pay for boarding for the next week and then bring him/her home. A lot of breeders are still letting their pups go at 49 days (7 weeks) because they had always had good luck with it before the research came out supporting the 8 week theory. However, I think it's best to listen to the scientists. Nova was with her family until she was 10 1/2 weeks and she was the absolute *easiest* dog to train. My friend got her Lab pup a couple months prior at 8 weeks and, even though he's sharp, Nova learned most things faster as a pup than he did.

Now, there arent many Lab breeders in BC, but I have found all their websites. If you would like to take a look I can post them.
That would be good. Or, if you don't want to post them, you can PM me and I'd be glad to help. :)

Vela
01-24-2006, 07:54 AM
You know what, you are as entitled as anyone else to choose where you get your dog from. I think it is unfair to pass judgement on someone just because they choose to get a dog from a breeder rather than a shelter. (I didn't say anyone has at this point but often people do). I bought Cracker from a breeder and I don't regret it for one minute. Yes for those who get dogs from shelters, this is wonderful, but not everyone wants to do the same thing and it's not wrong to buy a puppy from a responsible ehthical breeder. It gets tiresome for people to assume everyone should do something a certain way because they do it that way. I have had wonderful shelter dogs, I also have a wonderful purebred dog I bought from a breeder. There is nothing wrong with your decision to do so and don't feel bad about it. Everyone is entitled to do what works for THEM at each particular point in time. If you want a certain type or breed of dog and you want to purchase that dog from a reputable breeder then you go for it. It's your dog, your decision. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for it. Rescue is wonderful, adopting dogs from shelters is wonderful, but so is buying a well bred dog if that's the kind of dog you want.

The best thing you can probably do is research what kind of testing is "required" of breeding stock for the breed you are looking at. Is the breed prone to hip dysplasia, etc etc. And then find out if the breeder has hips, eyes, and other testing done on their breeding stock. That will help you decide if they are responsible about helping bring healthy dogs into the world. Most puppies are fine to leave at 8 weeks, but before that really is not in their best interest. See if they have health histories of past puppies and maybe even see about talking to some people who have bought puppies from them before. Also check on the treatment of the parents, etc. Their living conditions, how many times they breed the bitch in a lifetime, etc. Good luck with your search for the right puppy, and don't feel bad about it.

Yes the problem of too many pets in shelters is awful, but the OP didn't cause the problem and her buying a puppy from a breeder won't stop the problem. I for one appreciate responsible ethical breeders of purebred dogs who try to maintain a breed and health standard. Not all breeders do that but I appreciate those who do. Let's not try to make her feel bad and just wish her luck with her puppy finding. If there weren't good responsible breeders breeding dogs true to breed, pretty soon there wouldn't be any purebreds, only BYB dogs and accident dogs and while those can be wonderful dogs, some people like certain breeds, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is in irresponsible owners who won't spay and neuter their pets, so don't make the OP feel bad for wanting a certain breed or type of dog and for doing research and trying to obtain one from a reputable breeder.

Edited to add that Sarah's post was very well written and informative. Good advice there on what to look for.

Roxyluvsme13
01-24-2006, 07:58 AM
You know what, you are as entitled as anyone else to choose where you get your dog from. I think it is unfair to pass judgement on someone just because they choose to get a dog from a breeder rather than a shelter. (I didn't say anyone has at this point but often people do). I bought Cracker from a breeder and I don't regret it for one minute. Yes for those who get dogs from shelters, this is wonderful, but not everyone wants to do the same thing and it's not wrong to buy a puppy from a responsible ehthical breeder. It gets tiresome for people to assume everyone should do something a certain way because they do it that way. I have had wonderful shelter dogs, I also have a wonderful purebred dog I bought from a breeder. There is nothing wrong with your decision to do so and don't feel bad about it. Everyone is entitled to do what works for THEM at each particular point in time. If you want a certain type or breed of dog and you want to purchase that dog from a reputable breeder then you go for it. It's your dog, your decision. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for it. Rescue is wonderful, adopting dogs from shelters is wonderful, but so is buying a well bred dog if that's the kind of dog you want.

The best thing you can probably do is research what kind of testing is "required" of breeding stock for the breed you are looking at. Is the breed prone to hip dysplasia, etc etc. And then find out if the breeder has hips, eyes, and other testing done on their breeding stock. That will help you decide if they are responsible about helping bring healthy dogs into the world. Most puppies are fine to leave at 8 weeks, but before that really is not in their best interest. See if they have health histories of past puppies and maybe even see about talking to some people who have bought puppies from them before. Also check on the treatment of the parents, etc. Their living conditions, how many times they breed the bitch in a lifetime, etc. Good luck with your search for the right puppy, and don't feel bad about it.

Yes the problem of too many pets in shelters is awful, but the OP didn't cause the problem and her buying a puppy from a breeder won't stop the problem. I for one appreciate responsible ethical breeders of purebred dogs who try to maintain a breed and health standard. Not all breeders do that but I appreciate those who do. Let's not try to make her feel bad and just wish her luck with her puppy finding. If there weren't good responsible breeders breeding dogs true to breed, pretty soon there wouldn't be any purebreds, only BYB dogs and accident dogs and while those can be wonderful dogs, some people like certain breeds, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is in irresponsible owners who won't spay and neuter their pets, so don't make the OP feel bad for wanting a certain breed or type of dog and for doing research and trying to obtain one from a reputable breeder.

Edited to add that Sarah's post was very well written and informative. Good advice there on what to look for.
Well Said :)

Karen
01-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Warning signs of a bad breeder:

A bad breeder won't let you meet the parents

A bad breeder won't let you see where the puppies live and play

A bad breeder won't ask for a spay/neuter contract signed as you do not plan on showing the dog

A bad breeder won't ask you to return the pup to them if something happens and you can no longer care for it

A bad breeder won't ask you questions about your time, ability to care for the dog, etc. A good breeder may ask so many questions you'll feel uncomfortable.

A bad breeder won't ask you about previous dog experience, patience, experience training, etc.

A bad breeder won't offer to show you that the parents are certified for hips, eyes, etc. A good breeder wouldn't think twice about it.

I congratulate you for being open to a shelter dog if one comes available that doesn't say it's unsuitable for a home with a child. Keep looking everywhere, and the right pup - from wherever it comes - will find you, and you, it.

Just because a dog is purebred doesn't guarantee its temperament, of course. Do ask to meet the parents, at least the mom should be available. Do "test" the pup for shyness or any other potential problems.

No one here thinks you are a bad person for looking for a responsible breeder, just keep in mind it may take quite a while to find one with pups to sell you, and that it will be expensive.

And remember, Labs are puppies for a LONG time. Your daughter will have to learn that anything left on the floor will be destroyed by puppy teeth - is she prepared for that?

.sarah
01-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Thank you!! :D :o

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Just my opinion:

Labs are VERY FRIENDLY and very good with children..

But small children? 2 years old? Good luck. That Lab with that strong body will be knocking her down quite a bit. :p

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 08:29 AM
The only thing my daughter cherishes is her Pooh Bear stuffies! She NEVER lets them out of her site. The puppy will have lots of his own toys to play with and I will teach my daughter not to give puppy her toys. Whats hers are hers and what the puppies are the puppies. She has a pretty good understanding that puppies like to rip up toys - her Aunties dog Chester has demonstrated for her! She is really good with dogs and knows simple commands - she is so cute!

Thank you everyone that gave me such great information. Now I understand what to look for. I know what a BYB is and how they *operate*, I just didnt know a whole lot about reputable breeders. Here are all of the websites of the Lab breeders in BC...

Terrarust (www.terrarust.com)

Cedarbrae (http://www.cedarbraelabs.ca/)

Duckndogs (http://www.duckndogs.net/)

Gainspride (http://www.gainspridelabradors.com/)

Hobocreek (http://www.geocities.com/Hobocreek/)

Jandor (http://members.shaw.ca/jandorlabradors/)

Rivers Edge (http://www.riversedge.homestead.com/)

Shoremarks (http://members.shaw.ca/hollymatheson/)

Traynors (http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~traynor/)

Tristar (http://www.tristarlabradors.com/)

I forgot to mention that money is not an issue for me. What is the normal price for a lab puppy? I have seen some for $300 and others for $1000+.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/527.gif

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Just my opinion:

Labs are VERY FRIENDLY and very good with children..

But small children? 2 years old? Good luck. That Lab with that strong body will be knocking her down quite a bit. :p

I will make sure my dog and my daughter know how to play with each other. Sierra is great with dogs and understands that some are bigger than her. The only time I have seen a dog knock a child down is if they arent trained or exercised enough.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-24-2006, 09:02 AM
I'm appalled by some of the comments in this thread.

I think .sarah, Vela, and Karen all provided great information and advise.
I can't remember if anyone said this already- You will probably have to wait for a puppy after you find a breeder. Reputable breeders generally have homes lined up for their puppies before the litter is even born.

Good luck!
Keep us posted.

moosmom
01-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Ugh, I know, I should be adopting from a shelter

You COULD'VE done a little more research and looked in Yahoo under Lab Rescue. There are hundreds of labs in foster homes waiting for a furrrever home.

I hope you'll reconsider. For every purebred that is BOUGHT, another stray dog goes without a home. Sad but VERY true.

Logan
01-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Labrador Retrievers are a wonderful breed and I hope you will be very happy with your puppy. My daughter was raised with an older Lab and we never had a problem. Of course, he was 7 years old when she was born so we didn't have a puppy and a baby at the same time. They are exuberant dogs though, and I have found my Goldens to be much "calmer" than the Lab was, but still, a perfect choice for a family dog. Get ready to walk, and walk, and walk. He/she will need lots of exercise, for sure, especially if you live in an apartment.

I have 3 Goldens now. Two of them, I bought as puppies, and the first did come from a backyard breeder. I know better now, but I didn't 7 years ago when I bought her. She was a gift for my daughter's 8th birthday, on January 29, 1999. Good heavens, my "baby" is turning 15 years old this coming Sunday!!!!! :eek: She's a lovely girl (the Golden, Honey) and I wouldn't trade her for the world. BUT, we also have a rescue boy and he is the greatest gift I have ever received. I will always adopt in the future, I think, because we have had such good luck with him, and I don't want to go through raising a puppy again.

We lost our elderly Lab, Murphy, in December. She was almost 16 years old and was a very laid back, lovely yellow girl. My daughter's dad has a Chocolate male and he is so well behaved and such a couch potato! The only problem I can foresee with a puppy is that you don't know what kind of personality will develop, but I'm sure if you go with a reputable breeder, you'll be fine.

Do some research and ask lots of questions, using the ideas proposed by some of the others. You don't want to buy from a breeder who is not working hard to better the breed. The testing of the parents should be done and the results should be available for your review and you also would want to know that the parents were both at least 2 years old at the time of breeding.

Good luck to you! Get ready! You're going to be busy with a puppy and a 2 year old. I don't envy you! :p

Logan

caseysmom
01-24-2006, 09:49 AM
When my daughters were babies we had a shepard mix, had no idea what she was mixed with but she was excellent with the babies. My neighbors were set on having pure bred goldens and they are very aggressive, I know this is unusual for goldens, my point is you just don't know even with a purebred.

Most shelters will allow a trial period also, of course it would need constant supervision.

One good thing about buying from a breeder is a puppy brought up with a toddler may be more tolerant of the sudden movements of a small child.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-24-2006, 09:50 AM
I haven't looked at all of the links you've posted, but here is something I noticed...

Compare the "frequently asked questions" section of these two kennels-
Terrarust (http://www.terrarust.com/labradorbreedinformation2.html) gives nicely detailed answers.
Gainspride's (http://www.gainspridelabradors.com/) answers were very short, most just yes or no answers. That was a big turn off to me.

RobiLee
01-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Just make sure you are prepared for a puppy;). Labs need LOTS of exercise. You are going to be quite a busy mom chasing around a 2 year old and a puppy. Have fun! I wish you all the best. Can't wait to see the new family member when the time gets here :)

Vela
01-24-2006, 10:41 AM
You COULD'VE done a little more research and looked in Yahoo under Lab Rescue. There are hundreds of labs in foster homes waiting for a furrrever home.

I hope you'll reconsider. For every purebred that is BOUGHT, another stray dog goes without a home. Sad but VERY true.

This is very true, but at the same time some people prefer a certain breed and prefer to get it as a puppy from a breeder who has done extensive health testing and breeds for type and temperament. Shelter dogs can be wonderful, but so can purebred dogs. If there aren't people out there breeding type specific purebreds of each breed, pretty soon there won't be any individual breeds left because only those breeding poorly bred dogs, like BYB, and accidental breedings will be left. I think it would be a great loss if people truly took that to heart and never bought purebred dogs
so that truly honorable and GOOD breeders stopped breeding because they couldn't sell their dogs. I don't want to be reduced to having to have a mixed breed or poorly bred dog if I want a certain breed. We NEED good responsible breeders to keep breeding healthy dogs. I have nothing against rescues or pound dogs or anything else, but I think there is room for both. There is an overabundance of dogs in shelters but that is not because of proper and responsible breeding practices, that is because people refuse to spay and neuter and there are lots of BYB. By not buying purebred puppies or dogs ever, it would eventually cause the only dogs to be left to be mixes or poorly bred and/or sickly specimens of each breed. The stray problem is the result of carelessness by people, but a bigger disservice would be to allow healthy purebred dogs to cease to exist by never buying them. I would gladly pay for a puppy and help support a truly responsible ethical breeder to insure healthy specimens of that breed continue. I would also rescue a stray, but that doesn't mean I want to be limited to only being able to own shelter dogs in the future if nobody ever bought purebreds. It's great in theory, but pratically speaking there needs to be support of ethical breeders, or else who would be left to do the breeding and where would our future dogs come from? That would only further the irresponsible types to continue and that's all that would be left.

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Oh well........best of luck to you. I can see you really want a puppy instead of adopting an adult Lab, knowing it's personality.

Can temperments be 100% guaranteed? I didn't know they could. :confused: Puppies love everything and everyone, so of course they will love kids.. but they can change as they grow older.

Good luck to you whatever you do! :)

dab_20
01-24-2006, 11:10 AM
I am happy you've decided to get a puppy, and are going about doing it in a responsible way. I'm not much of an expert on these things, but Vela, Karen, .sarah, and others have given you good advice.

I woulden't put you down for not adopting from a shelter, because if I did, then I would be a hypocrit! I can understand adopting from shelters is much harder then it seems sometimes...

Good Luck, and can't wait to see what you've chosen! :)

K9soul
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
With a child that young (and living in an apartment), I'd still personally highly recommend/advise getting an adult dog who has been around young children and has developed his/her personality, and is over those hyper/nippy puppy stages. Best wishes with whatever you decide to do. Looks like you have received some good advice on finding a reputable breeder.

Corinna
01-24-2006, 11:40 AM
I don"t have advice but to say please check on other dogs the breeder has sold . Ask for a referal list from them and call the folks and talk to them. I did that when I looked for Merlin While it helps it doen't nessacarly cover every thing Merlin was the first of the pups my breeder has raised that got cancer. 6 litters and he was the first. He was 7yrs old most of his litter are still alive and going strong only one other dead hit by a car .breeder really misjudged that owner when they came to purchase the dog.
Another good source is your local feed store ask them about folks who buy from them . Thats how I found my breeder she did more than I had on my list of what they do to raise pups.

Cataholic
01-24-2006, 12:01 PM
First- I say to the Kay's of the world- Don't EVER give up fighting the good fight. Rescue. Rescue. Rescue. I applaud you sticking your neck out, and for every dog that I know gets euthanized, surely your attitude help keeps another one alive. One day, the world will change, at least I pray that it does.

The difference between the term BYB and "reputable breeder" is nearly non-existant, IMO.

As for a two year old, an apartment, and a cat- looking to add a puppy? WOW. With an 17 month old (well, I am rushing it by ten days), 6 cats and a small house- I am at my limit- time wise, space wise, energy wise. Sure, you might be 100% the person I am, I accept that, but, I don't think so. A puppy? With a 2 year old? In an apartment? Something is going to give. Not immediately, perhaps, but, in short time. I pray that your breeder born pup doesn't become one of the voiceless ones Kay works so hard to avoid.

Sure, you didn't ask my opinion. I don't care. I don't speak for you. I speak on behalf of the animals that are being killed daily. Intentional breeding is irresponsible breeding. Until the day we stop killing the innocent animals- that is my position. If you don't like it? That is okay. That means I still have my work cut out for me.

Johanna

lv4dogs
01-24-2006, 12:33 PM
I agree with some of the advice you have been given. Sarah & Vela have some excellent posts out there for you as do some others.

I understand why you want a dog from a reputable breeder with a young child in the house and I am glad that you are going about it the right way. Just be aware that a young puppy has a lot of energy & has no basic manner yet. Excpect the puppy to teeth even on humans, chew up your daughters toys, is not potty trained yet and did I mention he/she will have lot of energy. lol
Even though I personally would never get a dog from a breeder no matter what unless I am planning on showing him/her I still will stand by your side. IT is your decision & you are doing it the right way at least.

Just be aware that if a shelter won't allow you to get you are more than likely to run into the same problems with a reputable breeder (everything except the child part anyways).

Expect to wait at least about 6 months if you go with a reputable breeder, sometimes up to a few years. Decent breeders have waiting lists, especially for puppies that are going to companion homes. You may find an older dog that they have available right away or one that they want to be shown in an event but usually not a companion puppy.
You should expect to pay no less than about $600ish but of course the price can go up thats for sure.

Be sure to look well into the future. This dog will be your child for 12+ years. Will you be able to find other apartments that allow large dogs?
You said Dh doesn't want a long haired breed & has no answer, please ask him again why. Because if it is a hair issue.... well some labs can be very heavy shedders.

A true reputable breeder usually *but not always* concentrates on one breed. If you come across a breeder that breeds more than one breed please be extra cautious with them.

You say that:
The only time I have seen a dog knock a child down is if they arent trained or exercised enough.
That is so not true, well maybe when you are talking about an adult dog that is trained but when dealing with a puppy its a whole nother story. They are young & simply not cordinated enough or sometimes gets a little too excited. Expect this to happen often during the first year especially.

A lot of rescue organizations especailly ones where the dogs are in foster homes know a lot about the dog. They know if they are good with children, what behavioral issues they may have, grooming issues, etc... etc.... You will have much more luck dealing with them than with shelters.

Muddy4paws
01-24-2006, 12:44 PM
:rolleyes: Everyone is too quick to judge, its getting "cold" on here now.

I brought my lab from a breeder, like karen and others have said make sure you see the parents and make sure the breeder is respectable as long as you are prepaired to do your research everything should be ok

The fact of the matter is that you have a child and you need to think whats best to fit around your family so dont feel too guilty about what others are saying, I know there are millions of animals out there looking for homes but adopting an dog its not always suited to everyone.

I'll look forward to seeing photos!

Kfamr
01-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Gee, I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. I have many reasons why I want a dog from a breeder.

1.) My local SPCA most likely WONT adopt a dog to me. I dont have a yard and I have a 2 year old daughter, according to the SPCA, most of their dogs wont tolerate small children. I did my practicum there, so I know how their adoption process works. I live in an apartment and the location doesnt help - the SPCA probably wouldnt adopt to me just because of that. They are more strict than any other shelter I have seen. Other rescues can be extremely strict, making adopting a dog harder than it seems.

2.) The avoidance of backyard breeders.

3.) My DH and I both want a Lab, we feel this is the best choice for our daughter. We already had a terrible experience with a Rottweiler, it scares the crap out of me - my daughter could be dead because I chose the wrong breed of dog for our lifestyle.

4.) Like I said, I feel that I CANNOT handle a dominant dog or aggressive dog.

5.) We are still keeping our eyes peeled at the shelters, but most labs are adopted VERY quickly.

There are people with purebred dogs, there are people with mixed breed dogs. Does it make me a bad person for wanting a purebred? I think not.

And it hasnt been a few weeks, it has been over 5 months that we have been looking.

To set it straight, I NEVER said anything against you buying from a breeder. NEVER. If you don't want opinions then quite possibly a message board isn't the place for you. People have the right to express their opinions anywhere, anytime.

I didn't mean literally a few weeks. It took us years to find Nala, the "perfect" puppy for our family. Not all dogs from shelters have problems with children or dominance/aggression issues. Nala is a Lab Mix shelter puppy, and she is one of the sweetest dogs I know and is very careful around children and has never lived with a child. But, when we have visiting children she is always making sure she doesn't run into them or knock them over.

You didn't ask for opinions but, again, I think I have the right to express them. I am very passionate about animals.

I may be reading it wrong but, it seems you are interested in getting a puppy rather than an adult dog. I think if you're worried about aggression/dominance/etc and you don't have a backyard - getting and adult would be the best route. Therefor you know what you're getting into with the dog and more than likely an adult dog would be happy without a fenced in yard, whereas I think a large breed puppy NEEDS a backyard. Generally rescues, shelters, etc have very good reasons for not adopting out a dog to a family without a yard. IMO, I think large breed breeders should consider that as well.

Again, this is just my opinion and I know you haven't asked for it. None of it was meant to be offensive but since you got a bit impetuous about my first post, please take a moment if you do the same with this one.

And to sweet little buttercup132, I DID read the whole post, thankyouverymuch.

Vela
01-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I do agree with Kay and K9soul that the apartment situation with a young child and a puppy could cause some issues and that it really may be better off to have an older more settled down dog to start with but if you really have your mind set on a puppy then make sure you research really well, like it looks like you are doing. There will be issue and problems that arise from having a puppy that may not when getting an older dog but you are the bset one to gauge how you can handle those.

As to cataholic, there is a HUGE difference between irresponsible BYB breeders and responsible breeders who do health testing, conformation testing, and tempermanet testing on their dogs before breeding. I disagree with your opinion that all breeding should stop, if that was the case then only the irresponsible breeders would be left and sickly and poor representations of each breed are all that would exist. What needs to stop is indicriminant breeding of designer dogs and pets and the negligence of not spaying and nuetering. I will gladly support ANY responsible and ethical breeder who takes the time and money to do it right because I LOVE certain breds of dogs and thier characteristics and they would be bred out and disappear if the good breeders weren't supported. This is my opinion though, and thankfully we are allowed a difference of opinions=) Responsible breeders cannot be held accountable for all of those who aren't..they can only do their best to make sure THEIR dogs are as healthy and of sound mind and body as possible. They are not the cause of the overpopulation problem, most produce very few puppies, it's the mills and stupid people of the world that won't fix their pets that cause the problem, blame should be placed duly where it belongs. I do support rescues and those who do it and no kill shelters, I donate to several, but I also think GOOD breeders are necessary as well.

ParNone
01-24-2006, 03:19 PM
I have to admit I've never understood going after the responsible to fix problems created by the irresponsible. It's this same type of reasoning that's moved us towards banning breeds.

That said, with your situation, apartment, no yard/fence and a 2 year old, I think it's going to be extremely hard to get a responsible breeder to sell you one of their puppies, especially an active breed like Labs. I think you'd have to have proven experience with dogs and a rock solid plan to be able to talk your way into a puppy from a responsible breeder.

With Oz, I had to prove I had a fence and yard, before the breeder would even consider giving me one of her pups. I also went over with her how I was going to handle integrating him into the pack, since I was upfront with her about Maddie and Murph's dog aggression.

Responsible breeders are going to be discerning about who gets their dog. If they're not, major red flag that they're not responsible breeders.

I have to agree with K9soul, that you shouldn't rule out an adult Lab too.

Par...

buttercup132
01-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Generally rescues, shelters, etc have very good reasons for not adopting out a dog to a family without a yard I was kinda thinking that. Shelters aren't doing it to be mean they want the animals to be adopted out but they don't want them to end up back on the streets or have to save them from being neglected again. They do have there reasons and they are for the better of the animal. I think you should ask them what type of dog would be best for you. Oh and if Hubby dosen't like long haired dogs you can get them shaved....

And to sweet little buttercup132
You really think I'm sweet or were you just exagerating?

ramanth
01-24-2006, 03:48 PM
A good breeder will likely ask the same hard questions that the shelter will because they want to make sure their pups are going to good homes.

Many breed specific rescues have dogs that have come from breeders so you can find a nice, calm, adult non-mix.

:)

Either way, good luck finding a dog that will fit in with your family.

Ginger's Mom
01-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Sorry to say, a lot of breed rescues are not going to adopt to someone with a two year old child and no yard. Yes, part of the reason is that they don't want the dog returned or let go on the street and part of the reason is they do not want to be held responsible if someone should get hurt as a result of the dog's actions. It is going to be very difficult to find someone who is going to adopt a young dog to you in your situation.
Good luck on your search for the perfect addition to your family.

Vela
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
A good breeder will likely ask the same hard questions that the shelter will because they want to make sure their pups are going to good homes.

Many breed specific rescues have dogs that have come from breeders so you can find a nice, calm, adult non-mix.

:)

Either way, good luck finding a dog that will fit in with your family.

This is true. Actually in all reality, if a shelter and/or rescue won't place a dog because of the situation, finding a good breeder who will may be even harder. I hope things work out for the best but be prepared to be let down quite a bit in your quest and don't settle for a BYB dog because you want one as soon as you can, it could turn out really badly. You can also ask good reputable breeders if they have any adults they are trying to rehome. Many good breeders look for good homes for their females who are done producing as they can't keep all of them once they are done having puppies and they often have older dogs who didn't turn out or didn't like the show ring etc and are in need of good homes. You can find a really great dog that way, I did.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks to everyone that had positive posts. This place is so negative, I actually would have been better off asking a bunch of strangers on the street. I will and always will be an animal lover. I love all animals, big and small. I have seen threads made here for people that are buying purebred dogs and they were never harrassed about not going to the shelter. Irresponsible people put those dogs in shelters not me - so I feel that I have the choice to choose a breeder. I have looked at all my options, there are NO Lab rescues in BC. None whatsoever. I never said no shelter would adopt to me, just the SPCA. I understand why, but they could be a little less strict.

This means that if I was interested in a dog, that fit in my lifestyle, but they wouldnt adopt to me bacause I dont have a yard - that dog would die. It is the SPCA's fault that alot of these dogs are euthanized. Some of them have been in shelters for years, they just wont adopt to just anyone. I shouldnt have to feel like a pile of crap because I am not a "perfect" dog owner. Shelters do more harm than good here in BC. When there are potential adopters, they overlook them because of small problems.

When I was at the SPCA doing my practicum, the vet actually said to me that if they saw my tattoo, they would see me as a whole different person. Why? Because I live in Surrey, BC. Yes, the place with the highest number of car thefts, an increasing amount of murders and lots of drugs. I live in a indesirable (to the shelters) place in Surrey. Many people that live in these apartments are irresponsible dog owners. That makes ME look like one, which I am not. The SPCA is always here, whether its to remove a negleted/abused animal or another reason.

Now, as for my daughter being so young... She is a very well behaved little girl and I can almost guarantee you that if you met her, you'd think she was older than she is. I am a good mother, I taught her how to be respectful early in life. She never does ANYTHING without asking me. She is smart and knows how to properly play with puppies - after all, her Auntie has a ACD/BC/Lab mix. She is not your typical 2 year old, she is the complete opposite. People are actually shocked when they find out shes only 2, because she is very well mannered and respectful.

Cats... I have three of them and they adore dogs. Whether its a calm, happy dog or an energetic puppy - they adore them.

Do any of you live in Surrey, BC? No, didnt think so. Do you know how our shelters work? Surrey is a harsh place, every second house has a pittie lunging at the fence, every young 16 year old kid is walking a Rotti. These are all for protection purposes. How can you judge someone you dont know? You have never met my daughter, seen my aparmtent, met my cats or my DH. You dont know enough about me to judge me. I know myself better than everyone and know that I am ready for a puppy. Not just because they're cute, but because I will be the one raising the puppy.

You cannot judge a dog in a shelter just by looking/petting him. Even taking the dog out for a walk or doing a trial period isnt enough. I dont want to end up with an adult dog that has "hidden" issues that will force me to return him. I would much rather raise a puppy and know exactly what goes into that dog. We have already agreed that the puppy with go through obedience training, Canine Good Neighbor (BC's version of Canine Good Citizen), agility and possibly therapy work.

I may not have a yard, but I have a wonderful, LARGE 2 bedroom, ground floor apartment. I would never let my dog run loose in a yard anyway. You know how many times my mom has had stray dogs in her yard? Not to mention the amount of coyotes in the city. Dogs should be inside with their owners, not locked up outside. I have a HUGE park one block from here that has a fenced off area I can let the dog run in. We are the city of parks, every where you go theres a park.

Labs are a good match for apartment living ANY DOG IS! Who cares if I dont have a 3 bedroom, 2000 square foot house on an acre of land. It wouldnt change how I treat my dog or how I love my dog. It makes no sense to me why people see an apartment as a bad place for a dog. What about some of you young kids? I know some of you are under 16. Do you think that when you move out you will be able to buy a house with no troubles? You to will have to rent and when you do, slap yourself in the head for telling me my apartment isnt good enough.

Corinna
01-24-2006, 05:17 PM
ccl People arn't trying to be negitive the concerns are genuine, it's not just the dog we worry about it's you and your child as well. Most of the responding folks have had years of working around dogs and people . They have seen a lot of the type of situation you are in and how most turned out. I'm not saying you will be one of those you most likely will be the exception . But we are just wanting you to really think out all the possiblities that can happen. I do hope you fond the best match for you.
I will most likely get it from others but a medium dog would be the best for you a Cocker sized Small enough for the apt and yet large enough not to hurt your daughter if she gets knocked down by it.
You should go on the Akc Or ckc sites and see what you can find tht fits your needs in that size .

Kfamr
01-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Once again our words have been construed and completly taken out of context. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Good luck lady.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Once again our words have been construed and completly taken out of context by this woman. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Good luck lady.

I am sorry, but dont you live at home with your mom and dad? I live with my common law husband, yes, husband and I am not much older than you. I am independent, I dont depend on my parents for a house, I dont have parents making the decisions. I make the decisions around here, my DH just has to agree with them. It is not my fault that he wants whats best for his daughter. She could be dead because I stupidly agreed to let him get a Rottweiler puppy <---- very BAD choice.

Trust me, I take all of these posts to heart. Every post matters to me, they all have an impact on my decision. I didnt mean to make everything sound so personal, I was simply expressing how I feel about all of this. Do I think you are an irresponsible teenager? Of course not. I have never in my life seen better trained dogs than yours. You take beautiful pictures of your dogs and you can see how much you love them. You are very mature for your age, I was the opposite and that was only 2 years ago that I was 18.

Please dont take it personally, my posts reflect the way I feel about this. If you knew me personally, you would probably love to hang out. I really am a caring, loving person who makes friends with everyone I meet. I just think the message board isnt the place for me to be expressing my feelings, because my words are seen differently than how I see them. I dont mean to make people get defensive, or mad at me.

I truly am sorry if I hurt anybody, but people hurt me and that reflects on my posts. I seriously dont want anyone to take anything personally. Like I said, if I could talk to you face to face, you would see me as a whole different person.

http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Sad/Sigh.gif

Vela
01-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Well I personally wasn't trying to be offensive and I don't think anyone else really was either, but oftentimes message boards can be hard to get points across in because we all interpret the very same words differently or perhaps out of context at different times. I do wish you the best of luck in finding a dog/puppy that fits your family and everything works out for you all and the dog.

Kfamr
01-24-2006, 05:54 PM
I am sorry, but dont you live at home with your mom and dad? I live with my common law husband, yes, husband and I am not much older than you. I am independent, I dont depend on my parents for a house, I dont have parents making the decisions. I make the decisions around here, my DH just has to agree with them. It is not my fault that he wants whats best for his daughter. She could be dead because I stupidly agreed to let him get a Rottweiler puppy <---- very BAD choice.

Trust me, I take all of these posts to heart. Every post matters to me, they all have an impact on my decision. I didnt mean to make everything sound so personal, I was simply expressing how I feel about all of this. Do I think you are an irresponsible teenager? Of course not. I have never in my life seen better trained dogs than yours. You take beautiful pictures of your dogs and you can see how much you love them. You are very mature for your age, I was the opposite and that was only 2 years ago that I was 18.

Please dont take it personally, my posts reflect the way I feel about this. If you knew me personally, you would probably love to hang out. I really am a caring, loving person who makes friends with everyone I meet. I just think the message board isnt the place for me to be expressing my feelings, because my words are seen differently than how I see them. I dont mean to make people get defensive, or mad at me.

I truly am sorry if I hurt anybody, but people hurt me and that reflects on my posts. I seriously dont want anyone to take anything personally. Like I said, if I could talk to you face to face, you would see me as a whole different person.

http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Sad/Sigh.gif

My living at home with my mother and father has nothing to do with anything. I pay them rent out of every paycheck, I have things I am supposed to do around the house, I cook, I clean, etc. The rest of my money goes towards my dogs. I don't depend on them, infact if I left they'd probably be in a huge hole as my salary is a large part of our bill paying money. They don't make my decisions and they've expected me to make my own decisions for years. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at mentioning all of that, however.

No one here is trying to be negative like you implied in your posts. I do believe every post so far has been out of concern, not only for you and your daughter - but the animals who are defenseless. I just don't think you're comprehending some of the intentions of these posts. No one wants you or another dog be put in the hole you were before. No one wants you to get your hopes up and then be denied for the same reasons as the shelter. Which generally responsible, reputable breeders are highly into rescue and shelter work - more than likely they will think the same way as your local shelter does.

Calling this a negative place, stating you'd be better off asking strangers off the street... That is certainly going to upset some of us who have put our hearts and beliefs into our posts, and do so everytime.

Again, this is all just my opinion again. I don't know if you're going to understand it or not, but please don't get upset or angry, like I said previously, that is not my intent.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Well I personally wasn't trying to be offensive and I don't think anyone else really was either, but oftentimes message boards can be hard to get points across in because we all interpret the very same words differently or perhaps out of context at different times. I do wish you the best of luck in finding a dog/puppy that fits your family and everything works out for you all and the dog.

Vela, I didnt see anyones posts as offensive, just negative. Thank you for all your help, it really means alot to mean since you bought from a breeder. I will keep looking in shelters and maybe a lab will show up. Trust me, if a lab shows up that is a match, we will definately go and meet him. Just as long as its not the SPCA. Alot of shelters WILL adopt to me, there just isnt any labs in them currently that fit into my lifestyle.

One question... Will shelters in the US adopt to someone living in Canada? They are alot of labs in the US that need homes.

There are currently 68 labs that need homes in BC and BC is HUGE. We have 19 cities and dozens of little towns which all (excluding the ones without shelters, some only have 100 people living there) have their shelters on Petfinder. Labs are a rarity in our shelters, we see more Rottweiler and Pitbulls - most people have them for protection purposes only.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-24-2006, 06:14 PM
One question... Will shelters in the US adopt to someone living in Canada? They are alot of labs in the US that need homes.

Check out this page http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/import/dogse.shtml

It should give you good info on bringing pets into Canada.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-24-2006, 06:17 PM
This is taken from that page. Looks like you can, as long as they are properly vaccinated. (The US is not considered rabies free, so these guidelines apply):

Importation of Pet Dogs
Section 2 - Pet dogs three (3) months of age or over
from countries where rabies is present
(or not recognized officially rabies-free by Canada)
The pet import requirements outlined in this page are current as of 2006-1- 24 .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.1 Dogs may enter Canada if accompanied by a valid rabies vaccination certificate issued, in either English or French, by a licensed veterinarian(2), which clearly identifies the dogs and shows that they are currently vaccinated against rabies. This certificate should identify the animal, as in breed, colour, weight, etc., plus indicate the name of the licensed rabies vaccine used (trade name), serial number and duration of validity (up to 3 years). Please note that if a validity date does not appear on the certificate, then it will be considered a one year vaccine.
We do not impose a waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated for rabies and the time the animal is imported into Canada.

2.2 If the provisions of 2.1 are not met, an inspector will order the owner to have the animals vaccinated for rabies within a period of time specified in the order and to provide the vaccination certificate to an inspector, all at the owner's expense.
Note: Rabies vaccination or certification is not required if the dogs are less than three (3) months of age.

(1) An official government veterinarian is a veterinarian who works for the government veterinary service in the country of origin.
(2) A licensed veterinarian is a veterinarian who is licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the country of origin.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 06:22 PM
My living at home with my mother and father has nothing to do with anything. I pay them rent out of every paycheck, I have things I am supposed to do around the house, I cook, I clean, etc. The rest of my money goes towards my dogs. I don't depend on them, infact if I left they'd probably be in a huge hole as my salary is a large part of our bill paying money. They don't make my decisions and they've expected me to make my own decisions for years. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at mentioning all of that, however.

No one here is trying to be negative like you implied in your posts. I do believe every post so far has been out of concern, not only for you and your daughter - but the animals who are defenseless. I just don't think you're comprehending some of the intentions of these posts. No one wants you or another dog be put in the hole you were before. No one wants you to get your hopes up and then be denied for the same reasons as the shelter. Which generally responsible, reputable breeders are highly into rescue and shelter work - more than likely they will think the same way as your local shelter does.

Calling this a negative place, stating you'd be better off asking strangers off the street... That is certainly going to upset some of us who have put our hearts and beliefs into our posts, and do so everytime.

Again, this is all just my opinion again. I don't know if you're going to understand it or not, but please don't get upset or angry, like I said previously, that is not my intent.

I understand it much better now that you have explained it. What I should have said was "I would be better off asking breeders and rescues questions rather than asking here". Simply because I would understand it better because I would be talking face to face, not with text over the internet. I really dont look over my posts before I hit submit. I will keep that in mind from now on and will try to be clearer and less defensive next time.

Wow! I am very proud that you are such a mature teenager. I wish all teens were like you. What I was trying to say was that I no longer live with my parents and have changed dramatically since I moved. I am mature, stable and happy now. I never had responsibilites, now I have lots of them. I never got to make decisions, now I can do what. I can pay to have my dog put into obedience training and agility, I can pay to have my dog vaccinated, neutered, dewormed etc. These will all be my responsibilities. I never knew you paid for your dogs, I thought your parents did. Now that I know you pay for your dogs yourself, I will think of you totally differently. You know what its like to have responsibilities and bills. You know what its like to fork out a good portion your money on your animals - that shows that you arent like most teenagers. When I lived at home, the money I made was spent on ME. Even when I had my daughter (I was 18), I was the WORST mother to her. I didnt buy her anything.

I have learned to value life, spend money where its needed and make my own decisions in which I feel are best for me.

http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Banners/Off-Topic2.gif

slleipnir
01-24-2006, 06:24 PM
If you're worried about your daughter, then I suggest an older dog that has proven well with kids. ANY dog can become aggressive if not brought up right or other reaons...I have a lab, who is very dog aggressive, and will bark at people. Maybe I did something wrong training her, or maybe it's health related. Just don't assume that because it's a lab, you will have no problems. As well, puppies WILL bite. It will not know that it cannot bite your daughter, and I can almost say for sure that a young puppy will bite. Of course, it is only playing, but it might be enough to hurt your daughter. I'm sure breeders sell older dogs?? Does it need to be a pup?

Also, because you live in an apartment, you realize all the exersize it will need? The more exersize it gets, it is likely to behave better (besides it's good for them)

Please don't think I'm saying you're doing anything wrong, or not to do something. I'm simply making suggestions trying to help. Use it, or don't.

Goodluck

Kfamr
01-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Since you mentioned wondering if US shelters/rescues would adopt out of country - I was searching for you.

Look at this sweetheart.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5664790
He sounds perfect from the things you've mentioned. I'm going to do some more research and see if they adopt out of country.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 06:32 PM
If you're worried about your daughter, then I suggest an older dog that has proven well with kids. ANY dog can become aggressive if not brought up right or other reaons...I have a lab, who is very dog aggressive, and will bark at people. Maybe I did something wrong training her, or maybe it's health related. Just don't assume that because it's a lab, you will have no problems. As well, puppies WILL bite. It will not know that it cannot bite your daughter, and I can almost say for sure that a young puppy will bite. Of course, it is only playing, but it might be enough to hurt your daughter. I'm sure breeders sell older dogs?? Does it need to be a pup?

Also, because you live in an apartment, you realize all the exersize it will need? The more exersize it gets, it is likely to behave better (besides it's good for them)

Please don't think I'm saying you're doing anything wrong, or not to do something. I'm simply making suggestions trying to help. Use it, or don't.

Goodluck

I would actually prefer an older puppy or retired adult. Yes, I know the dog will need lots of exercise. I will keep looking at shelters, maybe I can convince my DH to adopt one from a shelter. He is just so stuck on having a show bred lab, if you want to know why, PM me. It is a long story... I make the decisions, but my decisions have to be approved.

slleipnir
01-24-2006, 06:35 PM
I would actually prefer an older puppy or retired adult. Yes, I know the dog will need lots of exercise. I will keep looking at shelters, maybe I can convince my DH to adopt one from a shelter. He is just so stuck on having a show bred lab, if you want to know why, PM me. It is a long story... I make the decisions, but my decisions have to be approved.

Sounds good to me. Maybe you can find an older show bred lab that would be perfect for you and your family

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 06:38 PM
Since you mentioned wondering if US shelters/rescues would adopt out of country - I was searching for you.

Look at this sweetheart.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5664790
He sounds perfect from the things you've mentioned. I'm going to do some more research and see if they adopt out of country.

Thank you so much. He sure is a cute guy! We live in Surrey and it would take 45 minutes to drive to Bellingham, WA. Do you know anything about shipping and how that works? I have only been in the US once and it was Miami. :p

Kfamr
01-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Thank you so much. He sure is a cute guy! We live in Surrey and it would take 45 minutes to drive to Bellingham, WA. Do you know anything about shipping and how that works? I have only been in the US once and it was Miami. :p

I've e-mailed them about adopting to Canada. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

Here is a litter of 4 lab pups - I'm not sure how far you're willing to go if they require you to pick them up, but according to MapQuest they are 6 or so hours away.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5681676

dream_dog1234
01-24-2006, 06:43 PM
We have made our final decision... http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Feelings/Exit-Stage-Right.gif

Ugh, I know, I should be adopting from a shelter. We have been searching the shelters for a Labrador Retriever for quite sometime with no luck. It seems that almost all the dogs are lab crosses. Our landlords love big dogs, and have agreed to let us have a Lab. We are going to get a chocolate, show bred lab. Not to put in shows - just the stockier type. I know that they are more calm than the field bred labs.

Now my question is, how in the heck do I go about finding a reputable breeder? I have no clue what to look for/ask? I will be getting a registered/registerable lab puppy - does this always mean it came from a reputable breeder? It would be registered with the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club, not the Continental Kennel Club). I know there are people on here with labs, not neccesarily registered ones, but they are still labs. When does a good breeder let their pups leave? 12 weeks?

Why dont I consider a mix? I feel, that I cannot control a dominant breed and shelters dont really know what the dog is crossed with, they make an assumption. Most breeds are recommended for people with older children - not my case. Dont get me wrong - I adore all dogs. Golden Retrievers also fit my lifestyle, but DH doesnt like longhaired dogs (dont ask why, he doesnt have an answer). One part of me feels like a pile of crap not saving a dog from death, but the other part so badly wants to buy from a reputable breeder.

http://www.smileypad.com/v10/Cache/Banners/Thanx.gif

I understand your reasons of wanting to buy from a breeder... like everyone else should . Well anyway, here are some avalible breeders, the websites:

Labrador Breeder (http://www.fortheloveoflabradors.com/)
A list of canada breeders (http://www.puppysites.com/breeder_canadaalberta.shtml)

Hope I could help with that! I have never had a dog before so I can't help with much of the other stuff :p

Alysser
01-24-2006, 07:13 PM
I understand your reasons of wanting to buy from a breeder... like everyone else should . Well anyway, here are some avalible breeders, the websites:

Labrador Breeder (http://www.fortheloveoflabradors.com/)
A list of canada breeders (http://www.puppysites.com/breeder_canadaalberta.shtml)

Hope I could help with that! I have never had a dog before so I can't help with much of the other stuff :p

Sorry to question you, but if you never had a dog how do you know the reasons for wanting a dog from a breeder? People have opinions and some would adopt first.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Sorry to question you, but if you never had a dog how do you know the reasons for wanting a dog from a breeder? People have opinions and some would adopt first.

I have had a dog - this will be my first since I moved out. :)

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Hey Tasha, 45 minutes isn't that far at all.. especially if you really want a dog! :p We drove 3 hours to get Mickey! And an hour to get Molly.

Corinna
01-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Spokane would be more like 8 hrs for her to drive. try pet finders groups and try 2nd chance pets in Idaho? washington they are who we got Dugan from Angie Is a great lady. we did every thing via phone or internet just went to make sure he was the one and he was so we drove home with him.

Kfamr
01-24-2006, 07:38 PM
TASHA!!

I just recieved an e-mail from the lady..

Bless your heart. Yes I adopt out of the country. Sammy would be perfect for any family. Elly

PLEASE contact her.

Her e-mail is [email protected] - She is the one with Sammy the 4 month old Lab.

Alysser
01-24-2006, 07:39 PM
No! Not you. Dream dog :o Sorry, for the misunderstanding.

dab_20
01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
I am 13 and I always look forward to making my own decisions with my dogs. Your lucky you get to.... but that will one day come for me I guess. :) Just today at walmart I wanted to buy all this stuff for Sam and Molli and my mom said no. I said "Just imagine all the stuff I will have for my dogs when I grow up." because I always have something I want to get for them. :rolleyes: lol

Once again, good luck with your search. :)

BC_MoM
01-24-2006, 07:44 PM
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/BC73/BC73.4924775-1-x.jpghttp://www.petfinder.com/fotos/BC73/BC73.4924775-2-x.jpg

Radar
Dog
Labrador Retriever Mix

Size: Large
Sex: Male
ID: 2038

Notes: Radar is a gentle dog looking for a new home he can call his own. He enjoys walks and is friendly with adults. For his new family he will be a loving and faithful companion. For more information please call LAPS at 604 857-5055 Update! Radar is now in a foster home where he gets along wtih cats and children wonderfully!

This pet is: up to date with routine shots, already house trained, altered

Langley Animal Protection Society
Langley, BC
604-857-5055
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/BC86/BC86.5581996-1-x.jpg

Jacob
Dog
Labrador Retriever Mix (appears to be purebred to me)

Size: Medium
Sex: Male
ID:

Notes: Jacob is an older dog, probably about 8 years old. He is mild mannered and very sweet. He is a male Golden Lab with a heart of gold. If you can give an older dog a good home please consider Jacob, he deserves a safe, kind place for his retirement years. Although Jacob is older, he is still a bit of a handful. .

This pet is: up to date with routine shots, already house trained, altered

Revelstoke Pound
Revelstoke, BC
250-837-4747
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

dab_20
01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
TASHA!!

PLEASE contact her.

Her e-mail is [email protected] - She is the one with Sammy the 4 month old Lab.

Sammy sounds perfect for what you want!! He looks purebred, too! I would definatly take a look.

cloverfdx
01-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Good work Kay, you have me all teary eyed here :o.

.sarah
01-24-2006, 09:36 PM
TASHA!!

PLEASE contact her.

That's so wonderful of you to have done all that research for her. How sweet!

luvofallhorses
01-24-2006, 09:51 PM
That's so wonderful of you to have done all that research for her. How sweet!

I agree. :)

Pam
01-24-2006, 10:02 PM
As to cataholic, there is a HUGE difference between irresponsible BYB breeders and responsible breeders who do health testing, conformation testing, and tempermanet testing on their dogs before breeding. I disagree with your opinion that all breeding should stop, if that was the case then only the irresponsible breeders would be left and sickly and poor representations of each breed are all that would exist.

Amen!! Thank you for that!!! I was going to say the same thing only you have done it so much more eloquently.

My daughter had a two year old with a very large puppy and, yes it involves monitoring puppy and child carefully but if you are up to the task I say go for it! I think having any dog without a fenced yard will present the most problems with you and your young child. During the housetraining process you will be going out many, many times a day with the pup and won't be able to leave the two year old inside alone in the apartment, so that will mean a trip outside for the two of you each time the pup needs to go potty. In that regard I think an adult, already trained dog, might be the best idea. Whatever you decide, please do let us know and don't be turned off by a few. We all love dogs here but just look at things a little differently at times.

bckrazy
01-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Hmm. I probably missed something, but I thought you were getting an ACD mix pup? Oh well.

You probably dont care about my opinion at ALL, as I think you told me off before about my views on puppies and such :p... but, I really do understand wanting to purchase a purebred pup from a reputable breeder. IMHO, even though rescue is saving a life, if it better suits you situation, it is NOT the responsible, purebred, dedicated, contract breeders who take back any puppy if/when it needs a new home who are pumping out pups that go straight into shelters. I absolutely understand wanting a very healthy dog from great parents who has been raised with lots of care & socialization.

If I were in your shoes, I would adopt an adult Lab, but that's me. It really is difficult to judge an innocent 8 week-old puppy as to whether or not they'll be kid-friendly, gentle, mellow, etc. My sister has a Lab (who she got as a tiny little puppy) who is now 100+ lbs and although he is extremely sweet, he could easily injure a small child because he does NOT know his own strength, even though he's 4 years old and matured. Anyway, it really is hard to predict a pup for your somewhat sensitive situation (as far as having a toddler, and living in an apartment, which both would not suit a very high-drive high-energy dog... sometimes, no matter how they're brought up). There is also the option of getting an older puppy/retired adult from a reputable breeder in your area. Lots of breeders need to re-home pups that turn out not to be show quality, or retired show dogs. Whatever you do, good luck! Either way, you are definitely committed, which is great.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 12:46 AM
TASHA!!

PLEASE contact her.

Oh my goodness, I will contact her ASAP! Thank you so much, I never expected you to use your time to help me!

Thanks!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Bad news... Sammy is 4.5 hours away from me and I dont drive. My DH works 7 days a week and never has a break. My mom is the only one who could drive me and I know she doesnt have the time to drive for 4.5 hours. I am going for my learners next month, gosh I should've done it when I was 16! I just never got around to it.

I have contacted my local rescues and told them about the type of dog I want. We'll see! Bellingham, WA is only 45 minutes away, so I could possibly get a ride there. We would probably get so lost out there... :p

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Woah, hold on a sec...

Dont take this wrong but if I shouldnt own a purebred in an apartment, why should I own a mixed breed in an apartment?

This is an honest question...

Please read this. I got it off of the internet...

Any dog, regardless of breed, regardless of size, will do just as well in an apartment, as it would in a house with an acreage. It's the dog's owner who will be the factor in a dog's well-being in any type of living situation. How dedicated he is, how active he is, and how vigilant in maintaining a "good neighbour" status with his dog.

Every dog, no matter what breed or size, needs exercise. And no matter how big a house, he should not be getting his exercise in the house anyway! If your dog's primary source of exercise consists of running around the house or yard, then you should be re-evaluating why you wanted a dog in the first place. Every single dog needs to be walked, every single dog needs to play outside, and if I've just insulted you with comment, I'm sorry the truth hurts, go take your dog for a walk and calm down.

I believe in this 100%. If people in apartments couldnt/didnt have dogs, most of them would end up in shelters.

carole
01-25-2006, 02:20 AM
I have read this thread from start to finish, but all I want to say is I really hope you consider the shelter dogs that have been posted, you know PT are wonderful at arranging transport, you only have to ask someone here will probably be able to help you get to sammy if he is the doggie you really want, but whatever you decide good luck. :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 02:30 AM
I have read this thread from start to finish, but all I want to say is I really hope you consider the shelter dogs that have been posted, you know PT are wonderful at arranging transport, you only have to ask someone here will probably be able to help you get to sammy if he is the doggie you really want, but whatever you decide good luck. :)

I would love to adopt Sammy, but that would mean going down to see him, then deciding, then driving back out there to get him. Dealing with the Canadian border can be a hassle. I will consider a shelter dog, as long as its a lab and doesnt have any obvious crosses with a Rottie, any dog that looks like a pitbull, German Shepherd, Doberman. My landlord is breed restrictive unless you can prove the dog is well behaved and never had any problems. Plus, it is easy to find a place around here that allows dogs, just not those specific breeds.

I dont want a pitbull of any kind. Period. No Lab/Pitties at all. I adore pitbulls but they are not the breed for me. Plus, BSL might come to BC (pray it doesnt) and I dont want to have to give up my dog. I will not make any acceptions on a lab that is crossed with a pitbull. I dont want a Rottweiler or Doberman either - again, they are not the breed for me.

We can adopt other breeds - I just love labs and that is what I have asked my landlords permission to own.

Thanks

Vela
01-25-2006, 06:30 AM
I can undertand not wanting certain breeds mixed with a possible pet prospect that could be dangerous. Those breeds are all wonderful, but a shelter dog will rarely have a known background and just could be unpredictable. You have a young daughter to think of so that is perfectly understandable. I don't think anyone was saying a purebred versus mixed breed would be better off in an apartment situation, I think more people were mentioning the needs of a puppy having to go potty so often and an older dog not having to go as much, etc. It takes a lot of time for a puppy and in a situation where you don't have a fenced yard, etc., you need to take it out a lot which could be harder without easy access. I honestly think many dogs do fine in an apartment as long as their owners are committed to making sure they have thier needs met for exercise and bathroom priveledges. If you have the time and can do that then it really shouldn't be a problem to have a dog in an apartment setting.

If you do end up checking in with breeders, as I mentioned before, you could possibly ask them about older puppy or even an adult they have who needs rehoming. Sometimes they have pets returned for whatever reasons from other owners, breeding bitches who need to find a forever home, and puppies who didn't work out in the show ring and are older. It's just a way to possibly have the best of both worlds that way.

Kay, that was very thoughtful to do the research on Sammy for her and maybe if things work out it could happen, who knows. In any event it was a nice thing to do.

buttercup132
01-25-2006, 08:07 AM
I found a lab rescue in ontario

Eastern Ontario Labrador Retriver rescue
Sharon Harris
7630 Harnett rd>North Gower,ON K0A 2T0
tel: (613)258-4856
[email protected]

You can ask them if they ship

CagneyDog
01-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Would going to a rescue in Alberta be an option?

[and sorry if this has been mentioned, I haven't read all the replies]

Kfamr
01-25-2006, 09:34 AM
-sigh- I tried.

luvofallhorses
01-25-2006, 11:48 AM
may I ask why the dog has to be purebred? :confused:

Cataholic
01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
As to cataholic, there is a HUGE difference between irresponsible BYB breeders and responsible breeders who do health testing, conformation testing, and tempermanet testing on their dogs before breeding. I disagree with your opinion that all breeding should stop, if that was the case then only the irresponsible breeders would be left and sickly and poor representations of each breed are all that would exist. What needs to stop is indicriminant breeding of designer dogs and pets and the negligence of not spaying and nuetering. I will gladly support ANY responsible and ethical breeder who takes the time and money to do it right because I LOVE certain breds of dogs and thier characteristics and they would be bred out and disappear if the good breeders weren't supported. This is my opinion though, and thankfully we are allowed a difference of opinions=) Responsible breeders cannot be held accountable for all of those who aren't..they can only do their best to make sure THEIR dogs are as healthy and of sound mind and body as possible. They are not the cause of the overpopulation problem, most produce very few puppies, it's the mills and stupid people of the world that won't fix their pets that cause the problem, blame should be placed duly where it belongs. I do support rescues and those who do it and no kill shelters, I donate to several, but I also think GOOD breeders are necessary as well.

Vela, (and Pam, if I remember correctly),
I think ALL breeding should stop. All. My bone of contention is that there are some people (even on this board :eek: ) that get some special pass when it comes to breeding, and I have never quite understood it. Sure there are BYB that are just unspeakable, and then, there are some BYB that make sure their puppies go to good loving homes. It is still the same, to me. There are too many pets- whether they come from Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The term 'responsible' that we banter about is so completely subjective. Just because so and so says, "oh, I do all sorts of tests, blah, blah, I don't do it for money, blah, blah" doesn't do anything about decreasing the pet population. These people that breed, without a recongnizable kennel name, or some strong affiliation with show (or agility, field, or whatever the goal they are seeking might be), are BYBs. The AKC doesn't spend much time (if any, as they are regulatory in nature) weeding out, admonishing, halting, ceasing, etc., when it comes to registration, the very thing that people cry out, "I am not BYB, I am breeding dogs/cats registered with the AKC"! That
is a tragedy. Yes, I do think they **should** do something.

I don't think we need anymore animals-pure, mixed-period, born into this world. When we start to lose some of this "gotta have a purebred" mentality, we can really get back to humanity- saving those that are already here, through no fault of their own.

I think, for me, it comes down to realizing that while I can't affect the world at large with my personal decision (in this case to adopt from a shelter, rather than go to a breeder), I can work towards eliminating the pet overpopulation. It is about supply and demand. If people would stop buying from BYB, pet stores, eventually- shoot, maybe not in my lifetime- it will come down to what you claim-only the responsible breeders are left to breed-
It truly saddens my heart to know that people really interested in a PET (as many, many of us are), would overlook adoption for, IMO, no real reason.

Johanna

PS- don't pick on my mispellings...I think I got the difference between two, too, and to all ironed out.

PSS- and, don't claim anything is a joke! That isn't allowed anymore....you must be 100% PC at all times less your fragile ego is shattered.

PSS- I don't really mean any of this towards you! Truly. No joke. :D

buttercup132
01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
http://www.lrro.on.ca/

i found a site to a lab rescue in ontario :D please look at it if you dont reply ill pm it to you

Vela
01-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I think ALL breeding should stop. All. My bone of contention is that there are some people (even on this board :eek: ) that get some special pass when it comes to breeding, and I have never quite understood it. Sure there are BYB that are just unspeakable, and then, there are some BYB that make sure their puppies go to good loving homes. It is still the same, to me. There are too many pets- whether they come from Mr. X or Mrs. Y. The term 'responsible' that we banter about is so completely subjective. Just because so and so says, "oh, I do all sorts of tests, blah, blah, I don't do it for money, blah, blah" doesn't do anything about decreasing the pet population. These people that breed, without a recongnizable kennel name, or some strong affiliation with show (or agility, field, or whatever the goal they are seeking might be), are BYBs. The AKC doesn't spend much time (if any, as they are regulatory in nature) weeding out, admonishing, halting, ceasing, etc., when it comes to registration, the very thing that people cry out, "I am not BYB, I am breeding dogs/cats registered with the AKC"! That

SO

I don't think we need anymore animals-pure, mixed-period, born into this world. When we start to lose some of this "gotta have a purebred" mentality, we can really get back to humanity- saving those that are already here, through no fault of their own.

I think, for me, it comes down to realizing that while I can't affect the world at large with my personal decision (in this case to adopt from a shelter, rather than go to a breeder), I can work towards eliminating the pet overpopulation. It is about supply and demand. If people would stop buying from BYB, pet stores, eventually- shoot, maybe not in my lifetime- it will come down to what you claim-only the responsible breeders are left to breed-
It truly saddens my heart to know that people really interested in a PET (as many, many of us are), would overlook adoption for, IMO, no real reason.

Johanna

PS- don't pick on my mispellings...I think I got the difference between two, too, and to all ironed out.

PSS- and, don't claim anything is a joke! That isn't allowed anymore....you must be 100% PC at all times less your fragile ego is shattered.

PSS- I don't really mean any of this towards you! Truly. No joke. :D

Responsible breeders, and yes they are out there, don't cause the problem and should not be held accountable for the rest. And being repsonsible doesn't just mean saying you have done the testing, they have paperwork to back it up.

BTW, your no breeding of any kind thing would eventually cause dogs to disappear since they do grow old and die and I'm really not up on the whole cloning thing being a good idea...If responsible breeders stopped breeding until the unhomed pets all found homes, then by the time that happened there would be no dogs for them to breed resposibly with because their dogs would all be dead from old age and the only dogs left would be ill bred or mixed breed dogs...I think it would be a shame to lose all of the wonderful breeds out there.

Vela
01-25-2006, 03:11 PM
BTW I do understand WHY you feel that way, and that all dogs deserve a good home and not to die in a shelter, but i just don't agree with the method of going about it because then the other breeds would be lost to us as well.

CountryWolf07
01-25-2006, 03:32 PM

Very well said, and I agree. :) Good luck on your search! You'll find that perfect Lab.

Pam
01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Responsible breeders, and yes they are out there, don't cause the problem and should not be held accountable for the rest.

You have done it again Vela and stolen the words right out of my mouth. The responsibility lies in EDUCATING people about spaying and neutering and the responsibilities of pet ownership once they get a dog, whether from a breeder or shelter or anywhere they might find him/her.

I am in the unique situation of having had purebred poodles for over 30 years and three years ago adopted a shelter poodle. Do I consider love Ripley any less or think of him as a "lesser" dog because his lineage is uncertain. Of course not. And, honestly, any future dog I get will be a rescue, but I certainly do understand why people go to breeders and do see a need for them. I happen to be a *hopelessly poodle person* and love the breed and the traits, etc. I would hate it if they disappeared into ....oodles and apoos, etc., etc.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 04:23 PM
-sigh- I tried.

Once again Kay, thank you. YOU have made me have a change of heart. I will adopt from a shelter - NO breeders for me unless I want to go into shows. I thought about it for a long time last night and it just seems like I could take that $700.00 I was going to spend on a lab and adopt a $165.00 shelter dog, then donate some money to them. I read alot about having a puppy and a 2 year old, though I am perfectly capable, I feel that I should wait until she is older then get a puppy. I emailed my landlord and she said that as long as I poop and scoop, she doesnt care what my dog is mixed with. I still dont want a lab mixed with a Rottweiler or Pitbull though. This means that I now have the option of adopting a different breed.

That being said, as soon as a dog comes into the shelter that is a match, we will go and see him.

Thank you to everyone who helped me, all I needed was someone to knock some sense into my head. Sorry to everyone else...

What other breeds are recommended for small children? :)

dab_20
01-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Yes!! Good for you for rescueing!! :D

For children smaller breeds are recommended. If you are willing to get a smaller breed.... Cockers are great with children. Some Boxers are, too.

Please take this test. It will definatly hyaelp you find the breed you are looking for. :)

http://dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 04:38 PM

For children smaller breeds are recommended. If you are willing to get a smaller breed.... Cockers are great with children. Some Boxers are, too.

Please take this test. It will definatly hyaelp you find the breed you are looking for. :)

Ugh, I dont really like small breed dogs. There is not one breed I like that came up with that quiz. I am asking everyone here, not the internet. The internet actually recommends an APBT! :) I want a large dog, labs are considered medium large. I dont want a small dog, I think the smallest dog I would own would still be medium sized. MOST smaller dogs ARENT recommended for small children. :)

K9soul
01-25-2006, 04:40 PM
I'd actually not recommend smaller dog personally, I find medium to larger dogs are often more able to handle the sometimes rougher handling of a young one. First one that pops to mind for me at the moment are golden retrievers, often wonderful around other pets and small children, but still need exercise and activity (as would any dog really). In my experience they are oftentimes a bit more mellow than labs. ANY breed can be wonderful with kids really (including rotties and pitties). If you look for an adult dog I'd make sure the dog had experience around kids and was known to be loving and tolerant around them.

caseysmom
01-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I NEVER thought I would be a small dog person but my daughter talked me into getting a small dog, hehe I figured it would get her away from boys for a while...well...she still likes boys and the small dog is now MY dog...

I LOVE him, I can count to 10 when I sit down and he will be on my lap, he is the most lovable thing you could ever imagine. He is gentle with kids too.

caseysmom
01-25-2006, 04:49 PM
I forgot to say I wish you the best on whatever you decide, I hope you find a dog that fits your lifestyle and you get many years of enjoyment with.

Vela
01-25-2006, 04:55 PM

Actually smaller dogs are often more likely to bite small children and are usually more nippy and cranky when, it comes to small children, cockers are some of the biggest offenders when it comes to biting children. As for Boxers, they are wonderful with kids, even young ones, but they are not small, Cracker is 85 pounds and no fat on him. Granted he's rather large but they are definitely not a small breed in general. Boxers are also VERY energetic, moreso than a lot of medium sized dogs.

Jadapit
01-25-2006, 04:58 PM
When my kids were small I did day care for extra money, also I love kids. ;)
Anyway, I had a basset hound at that time. She was amazing with the little kids. She loved them and they loved her. There not real big but not real small either. There a lot of fun. :D I'm not surprised the internet said that about the APBT. In temperment testing they did better than the lab. I'm sure thats hard for a lot of people to believe though. I own a pit bull, she is 10 months old. She is a very high engery dog thats for sure. I understand the pit bull is not for everyone. I think they are an amazing dog, but not everyone agrees with that. ;)

K9soul
01-25-2006, 05:03 PM

Wow, I don't like that thing at all. I took it for curiosity sake and three of the "breeds" it recommended were:

Goldendoodle

Labradoodle

Schnoodle

I can't believe it promotes designer breeds.

Vela
01-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Yesh I got recommended some of those breeds as well...pretty sure I don't like that "test". I am not against rescuing/adopting a mixed breed, but I am against designer breeds.

caseysmom
01-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Actually a Basset would be a good choice, all the bassetts I see don't look real active.

animal_rescue
01-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Actually a Basset would be a good choice, all the bassetts I see don't look real active.

I'm not to sure about that... We rescued a basset once, he was a total, hyper, sweetheart! He loved to run with us :p he also loved to take a drink and then put his head in our lap!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 05:38 PM
I would love a Golden Retriever, I would just have to convince Tim (DH). He doesnt like long haired dogs because of their shedding, little does he know, labs shed a ton too! He likes Labs, Chessys, Pointers, Irish Wolfhounds, Danes and GSD's. I personally love all those breeds as well. There was a Great Dane/Lab mix in a shelter that we both loved, but Tim says they will eat us out of our house! I would love a Dane mix, any tips on convincing him? There a many, many extra large dogs in the shelters that are excellent with small children. He also doesnt want a senior dog, or a dog that only has a 6 year lifespan?! Sooooo picky! But he knows I am a sucker for very large dogs.

Small dogs are out of the question, I find them to be less tolerant of small children. Medium dogs are great, but there arent many medium sized breeds that fit into my lifestyle. Large - Extra Large dogs have many breeds that suit my needs. I will talk to him again tonight, while there may not be a Lab rescue here, there are many other breed specific rescues.

Wish me luck, he can be really hard to convince... :p

Lady's Human
01-25-2006, 05:46 PM
CCL,

One of the longest lived dogs my family had was a Dane-mix. (She was also the silliest, clumsiest fool we've ever had, but that's another thread) She lived to be 14 1/2 years old, so age with a dane mix isn't always an issue. Gracie also really didn't eat us out of house and home, she ate a little more than a smaller dog, but not by much.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 05:55 PM
I have tried explaining to him that a full grown male lab eats as much, or more, than a Dane or Dane mix. Some male labs can get to be 100+ pounds, so I dont get why he is so against having a dane. I know more about the Dane that any other breed, I have met mixed breed Danes and Purebreds and find them all to be gentle giants. They have been my dream dog since I was very young. Some danes live 6 years and some love 10+, it really just depends on how healthy to dog is. I will show him a bunch of breeds tonight, and run him through petfinder and let you know what catches his eye. Pssst... I wont tell him the breed until after he says yes or no.

Men.......... (no offence to any men here, just mine in particular!) Cant live with them, cant live without them. :rolleyes:

carole
01-25-2006, 07:17 PM
I am just so happy to read you have had a change of heart and now are going to rescue a dog from a shelter, that is awesome news,you are doing a wonderful thing in doing just that, good luck and let us know when you have picked your furbaby up and pics too please. :)

dab_20
01-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Actually smaller dogs are often more likely to bite small children and are usually more nippy and cranky when, it comes to small children, cockers are some of the biggest offenders when it comes to biting children. As for Boxers, they are wonderful with kids, even young ones, but they are not small, Cracker is 85 pounds and no fat on him. Granted he's rather large but they are definitely not a small breed in general. Boxers are also VERY energetic, moreso than a lot of medium sized dogs.

When I meant small dog I was thinking around 30 pounds. And most Cockers that bite are the very poorly bred ones. My RB Missy was from an alcoholic BYB and she bit me alot because I was alot younger and was rough with her. But we got closer as I got a bit older. My brother got a Boxer and he just LOVES her. Maybe a boxer would be a bit to rambunctious?

Sammy acctually came from a BYB but he doesn't seem to be nuerotic or have poor lines... just luck I guess. Missy was aggresive/afraid since the day we had her.

I know that test has designer breeds listed... I just ignore them. And I suggested it because when I took it, it listed all the breeds that would acctually do very well for me.

luvofallhorses
01-25-2006, 07:38 PM
I am just so happy to read you have had a change of heart and now are going to rescue a dog from a shelter, that is awesome news,you are doing a wonderful thing in doing just that, good luck and let us know when you have picked your furbaby up and pics too please. :)

ditto! :) and I don't think a basset hound is a bad choice but of course that is jmho. :)

Kfamr
01-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Tasha, I am in tears. I am so glad you've changed your mind on this.

I was looking through different shelters in BC.. Look at this sweetheart. It doesn't say anything about how he is with kids, but everything else sounds perfect for your situation. He's also a Lab mix! He especially melts my heart as he reminds me of Nala.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5660709&adTarget=&SessionID=43d82ad454d12ee5-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/BC29/BC29.5660709-3-x.jpg

luvofallhorses
01-25-2006, 07:58 PM
he's beautiful..:)

I was looking through different shelters in BC.. Look at this sweetheart. It doesn't say anything about how he is with kids, but everything else sounds perfect for your situation. He's also a Lab mix! He especially melts my heart as he reminds me of Nala.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5660709&adTarget=&SessionID=43d82ad454d12ee5-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

dab_20
01-25-2006, 08:24 PM

What a SWEETIE!! I can't believe how perfect he sounds for you!! I would go take a look :)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-25-2006, 08:33 PM
He looks like a sweety! We will go have a look, maybe this Saturday! :) :) If he is what we want - pray that the SPCA doesnt turn us down. :(

bckrazy
01-25-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm also really glad you're considering rescue - that is awesome. :)

I am kinda late, but as to other breeds that I've experienced as being good with kids - English Springer Spaniels, Goldens, Brittany Spaniels, German Shorthaired Pointers... basically most sporting breeds, as long as they aren't too hyper for little ones. GSD's, Rough/Smooth Collies, Huskies, Standard Poodles, Great Pyrenese, and English Bulldogs also tend to have good kid personalities. However, it really does vary! For instance, my BC is very shy with some new kids and kids that are hyper and run around (even though he loves the kids in our family)... BUT, I've also met BC's who adore kids.

dab_20
01-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes, like my friend had a siberian husky who was always the sweetest. One day it attacked her 5 year old sister and her died tried to get the dog off her but it went after him so her dad shot it. :( :( :( :( It could have gotten rabies though because it had recently been bitten by coyote.

LuvGold00
01-26-2006, 01:01 AM

I know, I know, beating a dead horse.... but I just gotta say, as a BREEDER myself... OUCH, you have no clue. :eek: <<off soapbox>>

Crazy-Cat-Lover
Good luck with whatever happens, just follow your heart. I'm glad Kay could help you, she's one amazing woman. The world should have more people like her.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Thank you! :D

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Just thought I would let you know that the Lab Kay posted (Tanner) about isnt good with small children. Darn! :( :(

anna_66
01-26-2006, 09:25 AM
The only time I have seen a dog knock a child down is if they aren't trained or exercised enough.

Sorry but I had to chuckle at this comment:p Have you ever seen my boy Bon (Mastiff)? He's around 140 (give or take) and my little 2 yr old niece is maybe all of 20 lbs. He just licks her and knocks her down:D
At my bday party she had hold of his collar and he just turned to look at someone else and *boom* down to the floor she went!http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/p42beeb112004b00da75a0992c184adc2/f0a79a7b.jpg
Not trying to be offensive to you at all...just gave me a chuckle:)

Now as to you getting a shelter dog, I think that's awesome if you can find the right one for your family. But I also understand you getting from a breeder, that's where we got Bon. We didn't want to wait to find the "right one" at a shelter...we wanted a dog NOW. We had just lost our big guy Angus and needed to fill that void. I drove over 3 hours each way to pick him up (sorry...just a little plug on my special guy...Bon (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=60917&highlight=Bon))

So, I say do what you want. It's your life, your family, your money. As long as you take good care of it I feel it's your decision.
If you find the right shelter dog I say *YAHOO!* but if you get a dog, no matter what kind I'm still going to be just as happy for you:D
Ohhh and as for the eating and shedding...our big guy eats around 4 cups of food/day and others he'll only eat 2 (we free feed) so it's not that much more food;) But the shedding...he's short haired and my girls both have long hair, he sheds just as much as they do :eek:

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks Anna. I was just meaning that I have *personally* never seen this. Even if a dog did knock her down, she would just laugh about it and get back up! :)

MariaM
01-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I've skimmed through this whole thread and am...........APPALLED!

At how much this boy looks like Major, that is!

http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/BC73/BC73.5668695-3-x.jpg
http://wwww.petfinder.com/fotos/BC73/BC73.5668695-2-x.jpg
:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_2884h.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/AwesomeLena/wow.jpg

Haha, sorry to sidetrack thread. I'm not sure if they really look identical in the pictures I posted, but Whiskey looks EXACTLY the same except for his slightly longer neck. If I would have seen that top picture and didn't know it wasn't Major, I would have said "Where and when was that taken??" :eek:

Cataholic
01-26-2006, 11:35 AM
I know, I know, beating a dead horse.... but I just gotta say, as a BREEDER myself... OUCH, you have no clue. :eek: <<off soapbox>>

Crazy-Cat-Lover
Good luck with whatever happens, just follow your heart. I'm glad Kay could help you, she's one amazing woman. The world should have more people like her.

Ohhhh, trust me, I know a dead horse when I see one. The lengths you go to to justify your breeding is very upsetting to me. Bring 'em all into the world....bring 'em all in. :( :(

Pam
01-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Ohhhh, trust me, I know a dead horse when I see one. The lengths you go to to justify your breeding is very upsetting to me. Bring 'em all into the world....bring 'em all in. :( :(

Gosh I don't mean to start anything here, but sometimes Johanna you are just a wee bit abrasive. We could carry this into the human realm as well you know. Why did you or I choose to have our own genetic children when there are children in foster care just waiting to be adopted not to mention those in other countries. :confused: I think you need to loosen up here a bit.

lv4dogs
01-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Responsible breeders, and yes they are out there, don't cause the problem and should not be held accountable for the rest. And being repsonsible doesn't just mean saying you have done the testing, they have paperwork to back it up.

BTW, your no breeding of any kind thing would eventually cause dogs to disappear since they do grow old and die and I'm really not up on the whole cloning thing being a good idea...If responsible breeders stopped breeding until the unhomed pets all found homes, then by the time that happened there would be no dogs for them to breed resposibly with because their dogs would all be dead from old age and the only dogs left would be ill bred or mixed breed dogs...I think it would be a shame to lose all of the wonderful breeds out there.

Ditto!
Vela, you are awesome!

Anyways, Tasha I am glad you decided on a shelter dog.
Would it be possible for you to tell your shelter what you are looking for in a dog (size, good w/ kids, grooming needs etc...) and they can keep an eye out for you & let you know when they have a possible match for you? I know the shelters arund me do that!

I wish you the best of luck!

Cataholic
01-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Gosh I don't mean to start anything here, but sometimes Johanna you are just a wee bit abrasive. We could carry this into the human realm as well you know. Why did you or I choose to have our own genetic children when there are children in foster care just waiting to be adopted not to mention those in other countries. :confused: I think you need to loosen up here a bit.

WHAT? Did you read HER post? You must be kidding me. What is it that prevents you from seeing that what I said is my opinion, and that is it? SHE said what she did about a dead horse. Not me. Sheesh. I hate to sound so silly, but, I DIDN'T START IT! Did you pm her and say, "wow, maybe you shouldn't have phrased it like that"? I am betting not. The fact is, you have the same opinion as she does, so, you somehow think your opinion carries more merit than mine. That is what separates opinion from fact! I am all for a difference of opinion. I am not for hypocrisy. I see alot of it, frankly, on here. Alot of it. Sure, I express my opinions. And, I know, if you are not one that believes as I do, you are going to find 'fault' with it. I know that, that is human nature. But, to somehow overlook the post that I was referring to is really quite something.

As for carrying this into the human realm...wow. I am not sure how to address this. As much as I love my cats, and I do love them tons, there is a difference. Adoption, as a single woman, isn't as easy as you might be led to believe. And, it is somewhat costly. I know this personally, as my sister adopted a child from China, and two of my current clients adopted, as single women. It wasn't cheap. Second, Jonah wasn't a planned event, though, he was and is the joy of my life. While I would not trade him for all the tea in China, I hadn't 'planned' on having him. Having said that, I can assure you that I carry him 100% of the way, would not pawn him off on others, would not in a million years consider 'euthanizing' him (hey, you made the comparison, not me), don't keep him chained up outside, I provide quality food for, clothe him, and see that he has access to excellent medical care. I also do not sit around and justify why someone should bring children into the world.

Really, there is no comparison between a child and a pet- though I love them both. I am not quite sure where you are coming from.

I am against breeding, in all forms, for any reason, for anyone. That is my opinion, and I am welcome to it. That yours differs doesn't lessen mine. No matter how many times you state it, or, justify it, or attack me, personally, over it. That might be the difference between someone like you, and someone like me. I can accept it, and carry on. I don't need to be right, or convince you to believe differently.

Johanna

Roxyluvsme13
01-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Cool! Glad you're going to save some lucky pups life! :D Honestly I would get something like a toy breed. They're fragile and stuff, but Im sure you already knew this! Anyways I hope you find the perfect dog for your family :D

Pam
01-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I am sorry you reacted so hotly Johanna. It was not my intention to rile you up. You must realize, though, that you and I were "breeders" and we chose to be. We had/have that right. I am not disputing the fact that you are giving your son a loving home and caring for him. What I am disputing is your narrow view that any breeding of dogs (and I assume cats) is wrong, thus my comment regarding human breeding. If we were as righteous as we should be I guess we should all be adopting and all running out to get our tubes tied. I imagine somewhere out there is a forum as narrow minded as you seem to be, only it is on the subject where people are criticized for having their own genetic children. Geesh!

Cataholic
01-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Wow, Pam, thanks for making it so personal. That is just the hypocrisy I am speaking of. I am entitled to my opinion without being called narrow minded. To hear another woman call me a breeder is really, really sad. You have personally attacked me, and my opinions. I am not riled up, I am emphatically speaking my opinion, without labelling you, or anyone else, for theirs. And, just for the record, I wasn't imagining that you were somehow faulting my child rearing skills. I have a wee bit more self esteem than that. You are a total stranger to me. Your opinion cannot have that sort of impact on my life, nor should mine on anyone else's.

If you calmly go back and read my posts, you will see that I did not attack people for breeding their dogs (and cats, you are right, I feel the same way there). I just don't think it is right. I guess I should look at it this way, it always gives me a chance to push rescue.

Pam
01-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I am entitled to my opinion without being called narrow minded.

To say that all breeding must stop is pretty darned narrow minded if you ask me or the umpti-thousands of good breeders all over the world who are trying to better their respective breeds. You have your opinion. I absolutely disagree with it. I have mine. End of discussion.

Cataholic
01-26-2006, 12:52 PM
To say that all breeding must stop is pretty darned narrow minded if you ask me or the umpti-thousands of good breeders all over the world who are trying to better their respective breeds. You have your opinion. I absolutely disagree with it. I have mine. End of discussion.

Rightly so, if you hadn't personally attacked me. Rightly so.

BC_MoM
01-26-2006, 12:55 PM
You know, I used to be 110% against any breeding, reputable or not.

But that's just not reality.

All NON reputable breeding NEEDS to be stopped as soon as we all can do so. THEY are the reasons there are not enough homes, as are people who refuse/can't afford to have their animals neutered/spayed.

As long as Crazy-Cat-Lover buys from a REPUTABLE breeder and can return the pup if it turns out being too much, then I have changed my mind and am saying go ahead. We can't force her to adopt an older dog who is homeless. She wants a cute little puppy that she will have to wait and see what it will be like as an adult. That is the mistake many pet owners make.

LuvGold00
01-26-2006, 02:15 PM
The lengths you go to to justify your breeding is very upsetting to me. Bring 'em all into the world....bring 'em all in. :( :(

I could go on and on about this, and I'm sure you could too, but both of us know it's a waste of time. All I'm going to say is that there are no lengths I wouldn't take to protect MY breed and MY breeding program. I've had 4 litters of puppies, a total of 30 puppies. 27 of those puppies are spayed/neutered (which I have certificates from their vet to prove) and are on strict contracts stating I get them back if their owners can no longer keep them, or don't want them. The other 3 are show/breeding puppies, of which 1 I completely own and the other 2 I co-own. Those 2 are on strict contracts stating their puppies must be sold on spay/neuter contracts and will go back to the breeder or me if the puppy is no longer wanted. That, plus all their health clearances and health guarantees.
I agree with part of what your saying I know breeders that have 30+ puppies in 2 months time, I think it's terrible. But I can tell you right now I am not adding to the problem, those 30 puppies are over 6 years time and I keep in touch with all of them. I'm more saddened than angry you think all breeding should stop, and I know you are entitled to your own opinion, but sometimes you maybe shouldn't voice it here.

Kfamr
01-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Everyone, can we take the breeder discussion to PM's? That's not what this thread is about. I don't mean to offend to any of you but, I'd really like to see this thread used to help Tasha find her shelter dog. :)

Just thought I would let you know that the Lab Kay posted (Tanner) about isnt good with small children. Darn! :( :(

:( I'll keep searching!

Cataholic
01-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Not to offend you, Kay, but, I would like to address Kara's post (at least, I think that is your name!!). Thank you for stating your opinion so clearly, and without attacking me. We do disagree, but, we should be able to move on from here, also. ;)

I was afraid that if I merely pm'd you, I would be accused of not being mature, or coming forward with praise, or some other nonsense. But, I do mean what I said about thanking you... ;)

lv4dogs
01-26-2006, 03:38 PM
I am against breeding, in all forms, for any reason, for anyone.

I honest to god am not trying to start anything or prolong anything here but seriously think about it. If EVERYONE stopped breeding we would have NO dogs or cats (or hamsters or any pets or service animals nothing) left in about 20 years from now.
Nope NO ANIMAL COMPANIONS from there on out. NEVER.

We have to stop the bad breeders not the good ones.

.sarah
01-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Here is a Lab rescue in BC! Clicky (http://www.bclab.com/breed2.htm)

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 04:03 PM
She wants a cute little puppy that she will have to wait and see what it will be like as an adult. That is the mistake many pet owners make.

I want a cute little puppy eh? That is NOT my intention AT ALL! Yes, puppies are cute, but would I get any dog just because its cute? I would rather have an ugly, well behaved dog than a cute bad behaved dog. My choice to get a puppy was NOT because they are cute. Puppies are hard work and I know everything there is to know about training dogs. A puppy is great because you can raise it with small children, big children, cats, snakes, hamsters, MEN, other adults etc. You can take the puppy for walks on busy streets so they can get used to vehicles, take them to to vet plenty of times, ALL so they grow up to accept these things as adults.

Whos to say an adult dog wont fear/dislike men with glasses or beards? Alot of these things CANNOT be judged by a shelter. They test the dogs with cats, kids and other dogs. They dont take the dog out and see how he will react to big bikers or how they will react to crying babies?! Having a puppy was my choice because I will know what goes into him, I will know what the puppy has been taught, no how he will react to everyday sounds.

I am far too mature to think that you only have pets because they're cute. Two out of three of my cats are rescues. I wouldnt change a thing. I love Sebastian, I raised him since he was 7 weeks old. He is just like me, in a cats body. Animals DO act like their owners, your attitude reflects how your animals will grow up. I am considering adopting a dog from a shelter, but not a dog that is a senior with 2 years left to live. Who knows if the dog I adopt doesnt have tons of issues that the shelter couldnt see? These are my reasons for wanting to raise a puppy, I wish dogs didnt have the puppy stages, I wish they were all born knowing where to go potty and had the intelligence to be born with basic training.

To everyone else, thank you for your opinions/thoughts. But I think this thread should be closed. My thread turned into a big argument and I think that when I find my new dog, I should open up a brand new thread. That way we can start from the beginning and forget about all of this mess!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Here is a Lab rescue in BC! Clicky (http://www.bclab.com/breed2.htm)

Thank you Sarah! How did you manage to find that? LOL!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Can we please have this thread closed now? I will open up a new thread with pictures of dogs that I may adopt. We can have *nice* conversations there!

Thank you... :)

.sarah
01-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Thank you Sarah! How did you manage to find that? LOL!
Searching through Yahoo :) ;)

.sarah
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Can we please have this thread closed now? I will open up a new thread with pictures of dogs that I may adopt. We can have *nice* conversations there!

Probably a good idea ... did you PM Karen to ask her to close it?

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Thank a million, I would have NEVER found that?! I searched Google with no luck. :)

lv4dogs
01-26-2006, 04:08 PM

Good decision I think.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I am sending her a PM now...

Kfamr
01-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Please dont judge me, arent you only 16? You are still a child and have no clue what its like to be a mature adult! I would rather have an adults opinion on this anyway, they are more experienced and mature. :rolleyes:

Tasha, I have been trying to help you all along but, comments like these need to stop

No matter what person you're talking to it is not right to make such generalization, especially on a board with such a melting pot of ages, and it's quite saddening to see. Age has NOTHING to do with a one's maturity. I'll give you experience, FOR SOME ADULTS, that is true... however maturity has nothing to do with one's number.

It is truely upsetting because we have a handful of mature children here and many have quite a bit of experience!

If you'd like this thread to end, it's best you don't reply with such comments or just contact Karen.

Alysser
01-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Another thread that has turned into an argument. Please, it's her choice wether she adopts or buys a dog. Buying from a Reputable breeder is not bad.

Bc_mom, I think you are VERY mature and know alot about dogs. I didn't like what crazy_cat_lover said about being imature. I am more mature then some adults my parents know! :eek:

binka_nugget
01-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Good luck finding the right dog for you and your family :)

There's also the option of deleting the thread yourself (click on edit, and then select delete message and click on "delete this message").. if you didn't want to wait for Karen to close it.