PDA

View Full Version : Whats the importance

griffinchet
01-09-2006, 04:47 PM
I see alot of people saying neutering and spaying saves lives ,and what not. Can someone tell me the good side of this ,or what it helps.

caseysmom
01-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Do you mean from the standpoint of the neutered/spayed dogs health or the fact that it saves unwanted dogs from being put to sleep?

griffinchet
01-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Do you mean from the standpoint of the neutered/spayed dogs health or the fact that it saves unwanted dogs from being put to sleep?

I want to know the health facts. I know if my baby girl has some puppies they will be very much wanted.

caseysmom
01-09-2006, 04:58 PM
I know in females breast cancer rates are lower among spayed females and in males there are less cases of testicular cancers.

Also, knowing your dogs will be loved isn't the whole part, the other part is that unwanted dogs will not be taken from the shelters, although it is very hard to find small dogs at my local shelters. It just isn't good to add to the overpopulation problems.

areias
01-09-2006, 05:27 PM
-sigh- you shouldn't breed your yorkie unless you health test and show it. You want to be breeding for the good of the breed, not because your friend wants one. Spaying reduces the risk of reproductive cancer, along with the risk of your dog getting accidently pregnant by an unwanted male. It's always good to spay.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Every heat cycle a female goes through increases the chance of her getting cancer when she is older. Having your female spayed before she goes through her first heat cycle is a big health benefit. A female who is never spayed is about guaranteed to get cancer.

Breeding adds a lot of health concerns. I personally would never want my dog to go through any of that. Small dogs (more often than large) have hard time birthing their pups, usually resulting in an expensive (and often risky) c-section. They can even die giving birth.

Breeding responsibly is very expensive, and if you're not breeding responsibly you shouldn't be breeding at all. Breeding needs to be taken seriously, it should not be done by just anyone who has an un-spayed or un-neutered dog. A lot needs to go into it to ensure the health and safety of both the male & female parent dogs and the puppies too.

A lot of people here know a lot more about it than I do. There is a lot involved and I don't know all of what goes into it.

This site (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/breeding.htm#puppymills) provides a lot of information and links to information about the ups and downs of breeding.

Flatcoatluver
01-09-2006, 07:10 PM
you know whay makes me so angry is people think there dog is cute and a purebred then its a giving they should breed. :mad: there are so many yorkies out there already!!! plz don't breed

MyLittleMutt
01-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Please get your dog spayed!

Suki Wingy
01-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Keeping a dog in heat can be very stresfull for both you and the dog. You might have to ward off male dogs from your yard, even if she stays inside and you have a fence, they are amazing how they can find their way in when they smell a bitch in heat.
Not to mention the high risk of cancers of the reproductive system.
She'll be happyer and less moody if spayed before her first heat at around 5 or 6 months.
Breeding is very time consuming and expensive. Tests so you don't produce a litter of unhealthy puppies are expensive but the vet bills for a sick puppy are even higher.
The people who would have taken a dog from a shelter take your dog's pups instead, and then the pups in the shelter don't have a home.

wolfsoul
01-09-2006, 10:15 PM
My dog, Visa, isn't spayed because I show her, and trust me, having an unspayed dog is NOT for everyone. Most unspayed females become dog-aggressive. They can go through pseudo (false) pregnancies which are very stressful for her -- she will gain weight, her breasts will swell and she will lactate, nest, etc. Females in heat become very annoying. They whine constantly, they pace, they always want outdoors (so they can find a mate), they hump other dogs, people, etc. They start to mark (territorial peeing), and they become total freaks. The judge at Visa's last show excused her behaviour when she was acting like a mental freak because she was in heat. Unless you plan on showing or REPUTABLY breeding, having your dog spayed is the best thing you can do for her and you. Remember that breeding costs thousands of dollars and you will never make more than you spend, if you do it properly.

luvofallhorses
01-09-2006, 10:18 PM
It helps stop the pet overpopulation and they are healthier that way...PLEASE don't breed your dog and have her spayed!!

AllAmericanPUP
01-09-2006, 10:23 PM
http://justonelitter.com/litter.html

http://www.huntington-indiana.com/humane/just_one_litter.htm

BC_MoM
01-09-2006, 11:29 PM
The only reason I see someone would have a reason to breed would be if the parents are in perfect health and if they have something to give.

Gr.. I can't really get out what I'm trying to say.. It's like this:

The only reason you should breed Border Collies if it's parents proove themselves to be amazing working dogs, because that is what they are bred to do.

Personally, and no offense meaned, I would spay your Yorkie. Of course, everyone wants a puppy. All puppies are adorable. There is no such thing as an ugly puppy. But when it's all grown up, not housetrained, no basic obedience is down, no one wants it.

You have no real 100% guarantee when you sell a puppy that the buyers are going to live up to their word one year or more down the line.

Sad, isn't it? :(

lv4dogs
01-10-2006, 09:08 AM
I agree with the other posts I just had a couple things to add.

It can be deadly to your dog if she were to accidently get pregnant by a larger dog. She wouldn't be able to deliver the puppies. Even a c-section won't gurantee live puppies, they may be so large that the mother can't carry them full term.

Even if you do decide to breed (which shouldn't be done unless your dog is a PERFECT example of the breed & you are ONLY breedeing to better the breed) but you still take the chances of an emergance c-section, still-born puppies, the mother rejects the puppies & you are forced to care for them, the list can go on & on.

An unspayed female, especially an older unspayed femal has a greater risk of Pyometra, a eadly uterous infection. Suregery must be done ASAP or you risk your dogs life.

And of course the already mentioned health probelms associated with cancers & the like.