PDA

View Full Version : Question for a friend!

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-06-2006, 02:48 AM
My friend has a 15 year old male(neutered) tux, called Bliksem" (=Lightning). He is very healthy, eats well,etc... . Now she noticed that Bliksem is drinking much more than normal. In fact, he is always thirsty! She is a bit worried as her cat is 15, so it is more a senior cat!. About his litterbox-use: he goes on a normal basis, makes large pee-biscuits, no pain during that, and normal tootsie rolls.
What could this mean?? He never had problems with his bladder!

Miss Z
01-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Zsa-Zsa drinks quite a bit too, but it was most evident in the last few years of my RB cat, Brando. He drank loads, and preferred outside water to inside:rolleyes: but i'm pretty sure that your friend's cat has the same thing as Brando had, and i was even more sure as i noticed he was 15. It'll be his kidneys not working as well as they used to, this is very common in older cats. The kidneys can not filter the blood as easily, so the cat drinks more to flush out the system. Tell your friend not to panick though, Brando was diognosed with kidney failure when he was 8, and still managed to live to be 15, and he was a pedigree british blue cat, so a tux will probably live longer. It shouldn't really affect him at all for a while, he just needs plenty of water available. But if your friend does notice him looking unwell, he should be taken to a vet immediately, everything happens pretty quickly when the kidneys decide to shut down, but if you catch it early then you have a good chance of getting them to work again.

It is, however, a sad fact that many cats die from kidney failure. I won't lie about this, eventually Bliksem will probably have to be put down once the kidneys pack up for good. I don't want to be morbid, and it feels awful posting about this because it brings back such sad memories, but i need to tell it to you truthfully. But, i do expect that Bliksem has more years left in him, and if she's only just noticed him drinking more now, then it should be a couple more years where his kidneys will work moderately well.

I sincerely hope that Bliksem leads a happy long life and that he is never in too much pain.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-06-2006, 03:25 AM
Thank you so much!! I will tell her!! Her cat means all to her!!

jenluckenbach
01-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Besides kidney problems, it could also be a sign of diabetes. He should have a full spectrum blood panel/urinalysis done. (actually, at 15 years old, he should have this done even if there were no concerns, just to find out how the body is working).

catnapper
01-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Jen beat me to my answer! I was thnking diabetes because I had a friend who's cat was just like your friend's and he had diabetes.

kimlovescats
01-06-2006, 02:48 PM
My suspicion is diabetes as well.

lv4dogs
01-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Diabetes was on my mind as well.

Can cats get thyroid problems? IN dogs thats one of the symptoms, increased drinking & urination.

I agree a full blood panel should be done.

Godd luck wishes for your friend & kitty.

Catsnclay
01-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Everyone said it correctly-

At 15 a yearly or twice yearly vist to the vet is always a good idea. Remember our beloved kitties hide problems VERY well, and by the time we figure it out, it may be too late :(

I suggest strongly a trip to the vet - even if there turns out to be nothing wrong with him.

Much better to be safe, than sorry.

catmandu
01-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Mister Scrappy had those symptoms and he had severe kidney damage,complicated by Diabetes.
I pray that Bliksem will be All Right.

Catty1
01-06-2006, 08:55 PM
These days, there are special foods for cats with kidney problems - even if they are a bit more expensive, it can save in vet bills in the long run. Have your friend check with her vet(I am sure her vet will tell her about the food anyway).