PDA

View Full Version : Can you help guess my new puppy's breed?

stupid_conformists
12-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Hi! I got a new puppy about 1 1/2 weeks ago from an animal shelter. :D They said he was a 12 week old American Staffordshire/Shar-Pei mix, but my vet says he is definately not an Am. Staff. He believes he is a Bullmastiff mix because of his bone structure, etc. In addition, he believes he is more like 9 weeks old because his teeth aren't loose yet. He currently weighs around 19-20 pounds (he was around 13lbs when we got him!). My mom and I think he is Bullmastiff/Shar-Pei? Possibly with some German Shepherd because he has thick, velvety ears and when you pull them up, he looks somewhat like a German Shepherd puppy.

Additional info:

- If you look at his head from above, it is more of a upside down triangle shape than a square.

- He has some extra skin if you pull on it, but he isn't wrinkly. The vet says this is because he will be growing very quickly, and if the skin wasn't loose, it wouldn't be able to stay caught up with his body.

- He also is very smart (learned "sit", "stay", "lay down", and "right paw/left paw" the 2nd day we had him!) and has an amazing sense of smell.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what he may be? I think at least one of his parents may have been a mix breed. I know it'll be easier to tell what he is when he gets older, but I'm excited lol.

(The Christmas pictures are from yesterday, the others are from the day we got him)

lv4dogs
12-21-2005, 01:04 PM
I say he looks like mastiff & shar-pei. I don't really see anything else in him. It is hard to tell when they are puppies though, they can change so much as they age.
He is a cutie! And welcome to PT.

lvpets2002
12-21-2005, 01:07 PM
;) I would say your puppy is for sure a Down Right Cutie Pie Breed..

Sadie_Sasha
12-21-2005, 01:55 PM
yeah, no matter what he is, he sure is friggen CUTE!
:D :D :D :D

Suki Wingy
12-21-2005, 02:24 PM
I see shar-pei right away when I look at the pics. I'm not sure what else though, I could maybe see am. staff.

stupid_conformists
12-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm pretty sure he's part bullmastiff because of his current size, the rate he's growing at, and his personality.

k9krazee
12-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Definately Shar-pei in there! He is very cute, Congratulations and Welcome to PT!!!! Whats his name?

stupid_conformists
12-21-2005, 02:40 PM
His name is Rascal :)

.sarah
12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
I see Shar-Pei right away as well. Mastiff is probably the other half, but it will be easier to tell once he's grown up. But definetly Shar-Pei!

BC_MoM
12-21-2005, 10:30 PM
It's really too hard to say as a puppy what it is mixed with besides the obvious.

It's like a chai-pet.. you know, those grass things that grow. They grow and look like crap at first and then turn out to be like, a cat or something. LOL

areias
12-21-2005, 10:58 PM
LOL
I'm thinking maybe a little bit of boxer too?

lv4dogs
12-22-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm pretty sure he's part bullmastiff because of his current size, the rate he's growing at, and his personality.

Yes he sure does seem like a very big puppy! I noticed that right away.

IRescue452
12-22-2005, 11:49 AM
No am. staff. Definately shar-pei maybe some mastiff. He's huge!

AllAmericanPUP
12-26-2005, 01:22 PM
shar-pei and bullmastiff sounds like a good guess....like the others said it'll be alot easier to tell once he's all grown up

mybabytrinity
12-26-2005, 04:51 PM
she has the same markings as my puppy, but not the same face/head. My dog is a boxer pit mix. Your dog looks likeit's part pitt. :) Also bullmastif is a great guess. He looks huge.

Corinna
12-26-2005, 06:06 PM
I was going to say boxer or pit with the jaw line I'm leanning toward boxer.

Alysser
12-26-2005, 10:21 PM
I definatly see some Sharp-pei in there. Boxer maybe? Mastiff? Maybe you can tell more easily when he is fully grown. It's easier to tell that way.

dab_20
12-27-2005, 02:28 PM
looks like sharpie without the wrinkles. lol... maybe some boxer and mastiff?

there was a pitbull/boxer/lab at the humane society that looks just like that pup, only bigger and older.

laciejay
01-15-2006, 01:46 PM
I was thinking part pitt mabybe bull mastive head looks like a pit though

Mazie
01-29-2006, 09:00 PM
I think mastiff, boxer, maybe some rottie, possibly great dane?

I don't really think shar-pei - they are not the type of breed that there are a lot of "accidental" litters born. People usually just guess shar-pei because of wrinkles. But there are other breeds that can cause the wrinkles - mastiff, hounds, and bigger pups in general have the forehead wrinkles.

cali
01-29-2006, 11:06 PM
mazie its not wrinkles that are making people say shar-pei its the head, if you removed the wrinkles from a sher-pei's head and compared this dogs head to it they would be near identical.

look trie to ignore the wrinkles on this shar-peis face and compare to the OPs dog, look at the shape, and the ears...

http://www.sharpeilovers.gr/sharpei_photo/members/009_05/009_05_broofy_05.jpg

Mazie
01-30-2006, 10:43 AM
I know the head shape (minus the wrinkles) match up but other dogs also have the similar head shape and since it is a mixed breed 2 or more types of dogs can create that same head shape.

Oh, and I didn't necessarily mean people on this site always say shar-pei. I had been looking at pet-finder recently and it seemed like any medium-large size dog with wrinkles was listed as part shar-pei. I just have a hard time believing that there are that many stray shar-pei's running around out there, considering I work at a dog training club and have yet to see someone come in owing a shar-pei - I guess I see them as a slighlty more rare breed so I'm less likely to believe that a mixed dog is part shar-pei.

BOBS DAD
01-30-2006, 02:28 PM
is the key here. I used to do some Dog Geneolgy as a hobby and got pretty good at identifying breeds. [Ironically, I just got a rescue dog who is of mixed ancestry, but I am having a very dificult time pegging combos - as someone said, it is very hard to distinguish sometimes as puppies - especially if you are not given any leads from rescuers].

I definitely see Shar-Pei, but the other half is most probably a "Staffordshire Bull Terrier" - not an AM. Very different - look up breed on any dog breed site. The most noticeable clue is the pretty "brindle" colored coat - very consistent with the breed (anywhere from tiger brindle to a blue or dark black brindle).

Another good idea to better convince yourself of possibilities is to look up puppies (yes puppies for sale, after all - your dog is a puppy and you want to compare it to other puppies of possible breed considerations). www.nextdaypets.com is a good resource for this. Look up puppies of breed you think you are - and peruse the available pups (try and match same age as yours) comparing to your dog. My guess is Shar-Pei and Staffordshire Bull Terrier - pretty close to what you were told. Good luck and have fun ith pup.

Dan (Bob's Dad)

P.S. I am also new to site and maybe I will post Bob's photo and see what anybody sees in him!

wahya
01-30-2006, 02:36 PM
i think your vet is right he look more like a massfit i dont think he has any pai in him though you could tell right from the beginning.

Jadapit
01-30-2006, 02:52 PM
I had a shar-pei pit bull mix. He had a nose just like your dog. I see a lot of shar-pei in him. He looks like he has some am staff to me. I'm not real good at guessing breeds though. ;) He does have the square head like the am staff. He is a beauty thats for sure..

K9soul
01-30-2006, 03:11 PM
He very much has a sharpei shape to him, those ears are especially distinctive. And Sharpeis are not the rare breed they once were. They have become very popular the past 10-15 years or so and I see them much more commonly now than I used to. I do not feel they are that rare a breed anymore. One search I did on America's most popular dog breeds lists them as #39 on the top 100 list (in 2002), beating out chows, dalmations, and many other previously popular breeds.

As to his other half, really I don't think there's any definite way to tell as a puppy. He sure seems to have some sort of bully type breed in him though. He's adorable :)

4 Dog Mother
01-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I think there is some shar-pei in the mix as well as mastiff.

I don't really think shar-pei - they are not the type of breed that there are a lot of "accidental" litters born

Here are some dogs are a rescue near us - they are siblings and here is the listing

Wrinkles and Megan are 5 month old, 35 pound Yellow Lab/Shar-Pei mixed dogs that is looking for a new home.

http://www.plannedpethood.org/Take_home/Pets/Megan2.JPG
http://www.plannedpethood.org/Take_home/Pets/Megan.JPG

This same rescue group has had other shar-pei mixes too.

BOBS DAD
01-30-2006, 04:34 PM
CLUE is the Brindled coat and puppy photos of Staffordshire Bull Terrier (near same age). See Earlier Message!

tikeyas_mom
01-30-2006, 04:48 PM
his face has shar=pei all over it..
I see mastiff or boxer in him too..
I dont think he has any pittie.