PDA

View Full Version : Too little or Too much?

Addie
12-12-2005, 06:39 PM
My cat Timmy gets exactly one can of food a day...1 in the morning and he is very fat (not VERY fat) but he always wants more...and i only get out of school at 3pm and i don't normally come home after school. But he constantly whines throughout the day for food. What do you think? Should i change the schedule with times i feed him? Should i give him more food? He gets one can of Friskies a day...which is 5.5 ounces...is that too little or too much food for him?should i mix food with it? and if so...what? What do you feed your cats? I won't feed him 9 lives anymore and ever since i took him off of that he hasn't sprayed as much...but...what do you do?

kb2yjx
12-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Can you give your cat a half a can in the morning and the other half when you come home from school??? Sandra

Addie
12-12-2005, 07:06 PM
i'll try that tomorrow and tell you if it works out! Thanks!

moosmom
12-13-2005, 10:52 AM
I split a can of cat food between my 4 cats. It gives them a tablespoon each. I only feed it to them at night. The rest of the time they get dry stuff. They're happy and healthy.

What you might want to do with your kitty is try "Light" dry food. It'll help trim him down.

As far as spraying is concerned, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with his feeding schedule. Is he neutered? If not, there's your answer. If he IS neutered, then it's a behavioral problem.

Keep us posted.

wolflady
12-13-2005, 12:29 PM
I learned from my vet, that feeding only canned food is like us eating fast food every day. Perhaps you could give him 1/4 to 1/2 can per day, with a nice dry food to help him slim down and get healthier. I feed my cats multiple times per day, but only a little bit at a time because mine tend to "scarf-n-barf" if they are fed all at once.
I sould suggest feeding at least two times a day, once in the morning and once in the early evening, around your dinner time.

As far as spraying is concerned, there could be several reasons, from not being fixed, to being overweight, to having a behavioral problem or health problem.

Let us know how he's doing!
**hugs**

Addie
12-14-2005, 06:48 AM
he's doing good on the half can twice a day, but the thing is he doesn't like dry food...so i will try it next time i get dry food...and he is fixed...but someone said that 9 lives causes urinary tract infection so i'm coffused!

kb2yjx
12-14-2005, 01:13 PM
You sure are trying your best!!!! I think if Timmy is doing good on the canned food split for two meal, keep him on that. BUT, feed him a GOOD quality food. My cats seem to like Nutro. I do not leave out any food after they finish eating, the bowls are washed and put away. There is clean water for them to drink. If you would like a good book for a reference, see if you can find The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier. I bought my copy in 1991, and use it all the time!!! Good luck with Timmy!!!! Sandra

Addie
12-14-2005, 05:29 PM
hehe, thanks! I am going to get it tomorrow and start Friday