PDA

View Full Version : Champagne Bob Died Last Night

ratchet22
12-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Here is a story of a kitty I just recently learned of searching for info on sasha, this is so sad, but yet so inspirational, I have hope for sasha too, he can do it, she can too

http://rollingdogranch.typepad.com/rolling_dog_ranch_animal_/2005/12/champagne_bob_d.html

Champagne Bob Died Last Night
I was planning to write a really upbeat post about our final day at the Seattle vet convention until Alayne called from the ranch this morning with awful news. Champagne Bob, our little handicapped cat who had beaten the odds his entire life, died late last night. He had a rare disease called Mucopolysaccharidosis Type VI. Cats typically live no longer than 2 to 3 years maximum with this condition. Champagne Bob was by our reckoning at least 5 years old and perhaps as old as 8 (we never had a definitive age when he arrived). Our vets were always amazed at how well he did and how long he was living past the age when no cat was expected to survive. You can read his original story here.

Alayne said Champagne Bob seemed a bit out of sorts yesterday evening, a little stiff in his legs (bear in mind he couldn't walk at all, so this refers to his ability to move his legs while lying down), and he didn't want his dinner at first. He looked straight past the food on his plate, as if he were staring off into space. That was very unusual, because this little guy absolutely LOVED to eat. But he finally did eat later in the evening, and he was moving his legs around, so she figured he was okay. Alayne then went out about 10 p.m. to let the dogs out one last time for the night and close up the barns. When she got back to the house, she found he had just died ... he was curled up in a little ball on his bed. He seemed peaceful, and there was no sign of any struggling or thrashing. It was like he had just taken a last breath and slipped away.

He was without a doubt the most disabled animal at the ranch, and he lived a very constrained life in his special crib. Yet there were still two things he loved about life: being petted and being fed. We figured that as long as he had those, he had a good quality of life for a tiny guy who couldn't walk. He was a survivor, and we're glad we had the time we did with him.

Goodbye, little friend.

catmandu
12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Champagne Bob came to lunch with us Today at the Barn and loved his Roasted Chicken.
He was flying All Over The Supermarket grabbing bits of cheese and Deli for his New Pet Angel Friends.
He loves you still and will be there with a Bottle Of Dom Perignon, One Fine Day!!!

kb2yjx
12-12-2005, 06:42 PM
I am very sorry to read about Bob. When I was a school nurse at the handicapped preschool, there was a little girl who had a similar disease. She was a beautiful child, and she, too, had " outlived " her lifespan. Bob was loved by you and he will be always with you and sending you love. Sleep softly, sweet Bob...Sandra

rosethecopycat
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
To the special quiet spirit of Champagne Bob, cheers.

Godspeed to the bridge, and use those new legs well.

catmandu
12-12-2005, 06:56 PM
Where once he could not walk,Champagne Bob can fly now,and he is the Happiest New Angel at the Rainbow Bridge.
And he thanks all that petted and fed him,and did what they could to make his life as happy as possible.
And he will thank you,in purrson One Fine Day.

rg_girlca
12-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Look at that sweet adorable face. It just melts my heart.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid196/pe537e2a482ac47f0c27b3c96cc66ee99/f113e475.jpg

I am so sorry to hear on the loss of Champagne Bob. He had more years than expected to be well loved and cared for.

Rest in Peace sweetie and have fun on the RB.