PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the bottom of cat's delicate problem

QueenScoopalot
12-03-2005, 11:39 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/living/oregonian/deb_wood/index.ssf?/base/living/113200530269210.xml&coll=7
Spraying - Easing a feline's stress may help stop its habit of urinating outside the litter box

Phyllis Johanson will never forget the seminar she attended on right-brain, left-brain thinking. When she arrived at the hotel and opened her suitcase, it was clear her first hours weren't going to be spent mingling with other conferees.
"My hand touched something wet. Not just something -- some things. My cat had peed all over my weekend clothes." She spent the first hours of her trip in the laundry room, "both brains deep in thought about feline motives."

When your kitty leaves you a message like this one, Johanson says, a cat is just being a cat. Sadly, instead of trying to understand the cat, too many people react with anger.

"Inappropriate elimination is one of the biggest sources of pet abuse," says Mary Lee Nitschke, a psychology professor at Linfield College and an animal behaviorist.

The American Association of Feline Practitioners says its veterinarians lose approximately 15 percent of their client base every year due to unresolved feline behavior problems -- and most of those problems relate to the litter box.

Johanson hopes people will lighten up a bit, even laugh, and put their energies into solving the problem rather than feeling rage or kicking the cat out of the house. She's putting together a booklet that will include some funny stories as well as practical solutions to deal with kitty potty problems. She'll make the booklet available for free to nonprofit groups.

Johanson, who has been involved in animal causes in the Portland area for more than 30 years, already has some humorous twists to cat litter box problems. Like the corporate executive who was getting a quick bite of toast in the morning before leaving for an important meeting. When the toaster knob went down, her nostrils wrinkled at the weird smell of toasted cat urine. "It's very common for cats to pee in toasters," Johanson says.

Or the woman who had to call the fire department to put out a blaze that started when her kitty peed in electrical wiring.

If you have an amusing story to tell that had a happy ending, e-mail Phyllis Johanson at [email protected]. Meanwhile, if you have a cat that's not using its litter box, it's important to know that, in most cases, there are solutions -- if you are patient and work with your kitty.

Here are some things to think about:

Get your cat a physical exam. The problem could be as simple as an easily treated bladder infection.

Think about why your cat might be unhappy. Often, litter box problems are "pee-mail" that your cat's feeling stressed. Maybe the dog is bothering him or another cat is bullying him. Solve the cause of the stress and your cat may return to good behavior.

Clean the litter box. Sometimes, cats avoid the litter box because it's not clean enough. Scoop every day -- preferably twice a day.

Have enough litter boxes. There should be a litter box for every cat, plus one. If you have two cats, have three litter boxes.

Try different litter. Each cat has its own preferences. Kitties that used to be outdoor cats might want dirt in the litter box, which you can gradually replace with litter over time. Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter is formulated with herbs that coax a lot of wayward cats back to the box.

Try Zero Odor. This is a new product that removes odors and was specially designed for litter boxes. Tests at Tufts University showed that 90 percent of cats that had stopped using their litter boxes showed a willingness to return to the box after it had been sprayed with Zero Odor. Check it out at www.zeroodorpet.com.

Try Feliway. You know how your cat rubs his face against you to mark you as "his" property? This product replicates those facial pheromones. Cats won't mark anything with urine that they mark by rubbing with their faces -- so spritz Feliway on places your cat has peed. The odor (which humans can't smell) also is very calming to a cat, reducing your kitty's stress response.

Try to laugh a little. It doesn't help to be angry. And if you have a funny story about your cat's habits, it just might make Phyllis Johanson's booklet.
;)
(I have heard the Zero Odor works very well...have to order me a few gallons!) ;) http://www.zeroodorstore.com/

Laura's Babies
12-04-2005, 09:09 AM
I have been seeing this advertised and wondering if it is any good... If you get some, post your thoughts on if it is as good as they say.