PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pot Pie recipe?

beeniesmom
10-12-2005, 12:31 PM
I just had chicken pot pie for the first time and have decided that I LOVE IT!

Does anyone have a good recipe to make one?

The more types of veggies the better. :D

lvpets2002
10-12-2005, 12:47 PM
:) I cheat & get mine at the grocery store..

beeniesmom
10-12-2005, 12:50 PM
:) I cheat & get mine at the grocery store..

I had a store bought frozen one too: Marie Calandars or something like that.
:D :D :D
I never thought it would be so good.
I've always had this thing about pies... they are only to be sweet. :o

Kfamr
10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
I make pot pie once in a while but honestly i've never had an exact recipe. :O I'm one of those people who goes by taste, texture, etc when i'm cooking. Just throw a bunch of stuff together, whatever veggies, meat, etc you have, with pie crust :p

As my base most times, i'll use chicken broth/boullion and milk.

Jadapit
10-12-2005, 12:53 PM
KFC has really good chicken pot pies. They are huge. ;) Now, thats some recipe huh? Lol.

lv4dogs
10-12-2005, 01:39 PM
I've got a receipe at home thats to die for. Now if I can just remember to bring it in for you. lol

beeniesmom
10-12-2005, 01:46 PM
I've got a receipe at home thats to die for. Now if I can just remember to bring it in for you. lol

thx!

new mom to a veiled
10-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Hey Carmen..........my advice is......make sure you take the feathers off :p

sirrahbed
10-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I think anything by Marie Callender (or however ya spell it) is wonderful!! I make chicken potpies mostly by taste and ease...a jar of chicken gravy, mixed vegetables (frozen or fresh but cook the fresh slightly first). Then, I use the fold up prepared pie crusts. Another good crust that tastes like the KFC ones is croissant dough from a can. You can open the croissants up and press them together at the seams and this makes the crust flakier than the regular pie crust but they are good either way:D

I bet folks have good recipes but this way is very easy and good, too. Potpies are so good as the weather begins to turn cooler and the leaves fall!!

slleipnir
10-12-2005, 01:48 PM
My mom makes the best!! I duno how though..she does it from scratch and it's ooooooooo goood

PJ's Mom
10-12-2005, 01:59 PM
As my base most times, i'll use chicken broth/boullion and milk.

Half and half can be used too. It's also tasty. :D

lv4dogs
10-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I can't find my recipe for my grandmothers home-made pie crust :mad: But I have the pot pie recipe. :D
I've made this quite a few different ways and they are all good!

Keep in mind you can add more or less veggies (and other varieties) depending on your personal likes. You can also use turkey of beef instead of chicken.

I personally cook a whole chicken in the oven and use the broth from that, I think it tastes a lot better.

Sometimes I add a dash of crushed garlic or garlic powder too.

Sometimes if I don't have a cream of soup or white sauce I use the broth kfamr listed, broth/bullion & milk or what pj's mom said half & half is tasty too! I've even used canned gravy. Then of course leave out the 1cup broth otherwise it will be too watery, just use 2 cups of the base that you decide on.

1 chopped onion
half cup chopped celery
2 tsp salt & pepper (or to taste)
1 cup white sauce or cream of mushroom soup (can substitute with crem of broccoli, or whatever other cream of soup that suits your tastes)
half cup sliced carrots
4 tbsp green peas
3 cups cooked chopped chicken
1 cup chicken broth
Then of course your pie crust.

Cook all veggies with 2 tbsp butter in skillet until tender
add 1 cup broth (or 1 cup of the base you decide to use) and heat until well mixed and warm (sometimes I add both cups of base or the cream of soup & broth to the skillet to warm)

lay crust in pie pan
Add mixture on top of pie crust
top with 1 cup of white sauce or cream of soup (already slightly heated) or the remaining 1 cup of your base (unless of course you mix everything in the skillet first then you just add it all on top of the crust)

cover top with pie crust or thin biscuits

bake at 425 for approx 20 minutes, until light brown
(sometimes I brush an egg white or melted butter to the top of the crust)

Logan
10-13-2005, 11:04 AM
I love chicken pot pie! Of course, I have never made it and better not while I'm dieting! Stoffer's is wonderful! LOL!!!

beeniesmom
10-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks Sue!
I'll try making it in the next few days. :)

shais_mom
10-13-2005, 01:20 PM
I have made mine from scratch a time or 2..
I just take your favorite pie crust recipe (or buy one /top and bottom) Some chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, cubed chicken, and any vegetables you want mix in a large bowl. Bake the bottom crust for about 10-15 min then add the veg/soup mix. Put your top crust on and bake for about 45min to an hour.

shais_mom
10-13-2005, 01:21 PM
http://search.allrecipes.com/recipe/quick.asp?q1=chicken+pot+pie&lnkid=65 hope this works

gemini9961
10-13-2005, 03:26 PM
OMG I am so wanting a chicken pot pit right now. Thanks Carmen. :D I usually stay away from them because they are high in fat (I try and watch what I eat, sometimes) but a really good one is to die for. Cracker Barrell has them on occasion and I have heard they are great there as well.

PJ's Mom
10-14-2005, 11:15 AM
All this talk about pot pies made me go out and buy one. It's Pepperidge Farm and it's the best 1,200 calories I've eaten in a long time. :D

jackie
10-14-2005, 11:48 AM
I should never click on this thread when I am hungry.