PDA

View Full Version : Well......the doctor just called.....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-10-2005, 04:28 PM
....and he wants to remove my thyroid. :eek:

I've been battling this "nodule" on my thyroid for the last couple of years. He's had me on medication that was supposed to shrink it, but instead it keeps getting bigger. They've done skinny needle biopsies and they have always come back negative for cancer - whew!

But the last couple months it's actually been bothering me whereas before I never even knew it was there. It's getting to the point where sometimes I choke on my food - Terry is always on the ready to do the Heimlich maneuver on me, :eek: and my boss is also looking at different/cheaper insurance. My insurance right now is through the IBEW (electrical union) and it's the absolute best insurance I've ever had in my life! So, all these factors taken into consideration, I asked the doc if he'd do surgery now - to make me feel better, to eliminate the choking and to keep my portion of the cost down.

He reviewed my file and said with the history of the lump, the surgery would have to be done someday anyway because it's not responding to the medication, so might as well be now! :eek: :eek: He will remove the entire right thyroid and part of the left. I guess there's a small nodule on the left one, but it's not anywhere near as bad as the right side. They'll preserve the para-thyroids and I'll have to take medication for the rest of my life - which I would have to do anyway.

Ok, ok, I know I asked for it, but now that he agreed, it's sinking in....what have I gotten myself into? :eek:

He said it would probably be sometime in November - I'm hoping for the week of Thanksgiving - and I will go in early the morning of surgery and have to spend the night.

The phone rang while I was typing this. It was Terry and if I think I'm :eek: at this decision, he is 10 times worse! He's such a worrier....but at least it'll get his mind off the hydraulic leak in the motorhome. ;) :rolleyes:

Anyway....I guess this has been in the works for the last couple of years, and the time has come..... :eek:

Ally Cat's Mommy
10-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Gosh Debbie - what a scarey decision to have to make (even although the insurance situation does make it a logical choice).

If it's any consolation, a dear friend of mine had the same surgery, and it was a great success. Her only regret was not doing it sooner.

She also had some special tape and cream to apply to the operation site, to minimise scarring - has your doc made any recommendations with regards to this?

(((HUGS)))

momoffuzzyfaces
10-10-2005, 04:52 PM
:eek: Is right!
I have no advice to give since I'm still hanging on to my gallbladder that probably should have come out years ago.
But will be offering lots of prayers for you and Terry too, when you go through the surgery.

Cinder & Smoke
10-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Terry ... He's such a worrier ...

It's *nice* to have a Worry-ier on your Team!!

Relax - an let Terry and the rest of us do the Worryin! ;)

Kinda a strange way to get out of cookin a Turkey ...
but whatever! :p

TRY Hard not to fret about it ... We'll start Talkin to God! ;)

{{{HUGS}}}

lizbud
10-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Wow. I don't know anyone else who's had that surgery.How long is
your recuperation time for this surgery? I do hope all goes well for you
and this cures the problem.

ps. Are you all still having a leak in the new motor home?

Freckles
10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
My left thyroid had a lump and was removed about two years ago with no complications. The scar is right at the crease in the neck so it doesn't show much. Mine is hard to see now. Some Dr.'s call it day surgery, but mine had me stay overnight which worked the best for me. Any other questions?:)

slick
10-10-2005, 05:23 PM
I've just sent you an email Debbie.

{{{hugs}}}

Craftlady
10-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Sounds like your doctor has a good plan. I would feel better staying overnight after surgery. So many times the surgeries are done and they shove you out the door half out of it. Insurance plays a big factor they dont like paying for anything considered extra's. By the way, good way of getting out of cooking Thanksgiving dinner. :D

RICHARD
10-10-2005, 06:51 PM
He's such a worrier....but at least it'll get his mind off the hydraulic leak in the motorhome. ;) :rolleyes:

That is not a fair statement!!!

If my SO started to leak hydraulic fluid I would be worried... :o

Liz,

LOLOLOL,
That's why the BR is in a motorhome, to take care of the leaks. :confused:

--------------------------------

Compared to a few years ago, it's a fairly routine surgery.

2 week of recoup time, paid.

The toughtest part is knowing how long to milk the attention during recovery. :D

finn's mom
10-10-2005, 06:57 PM
wow, that is pretty scary! I'm sure you will pull through with no problems, though, and, be so glad that you did it when all is said and done. it's so good that you're getting it taken care of, though, good for you! keep us posted, and, good luck...

beeniesmom
10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Hi, I'm so sorry that you have to have surgery. If it makes you feel better, my mom in law had the same surgery about 6 months ago and she is doing great. You can't even see a scar or anything and she recovered very quickly. I hope you go through this as easy as she did. :)

luvofallhorses
10-10-2005, 11:21 PM
:eek: that IS scary. My thoughts and prayers are with you. ((((HUGS)))

Laura's Babies
10-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Regina (my son Eddie's wife) HAD thyroid cancer and they took it out. She said the worst part of the whole orderal was the recovery.. (Because of) Eddies nursing skills were not the greatest and he would ask her if she wanted something to eat, she say "yes" and he would bring her a piece of cake or a piece of pie... That was "food" to him and he couldn't understand what was wrong with it, why was she complaning? It didn't sound that bad if that was all she was left to complaine about from the whole ordeal.

K9karen
10-11-2005, 12:43 AM
So sorry to hear you have to have Sirjury, Deb, but it sounds like it's for the best at this point. Sounds like you have a very trustworthy doctor. No surgery is fun but I also have a friend who had her thyroid removed and she's fine. The best part, if there is one, is "milking" it to the max! ;) I'm wishing you the best and prayers for a speedy recovery!

krazyaboutkatz
10-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Debbie, I'm sorry to hear that you're going to need surgery :( but I'm sure that everything will go well and then you won't have to worry about this later on down the road. I also hope that you'll have a speedy recovery too. You can make Terry wait on you and you'll have also have your two fuzzy nurses to help comfort you. ;) Please continue to keep us updated and please take care.

Maya & Inka's mommy
10-11-2005, 02:32 AM
It is normal to be scared, Debbie. But don't worry, everything will go just fien, I know!

ps. I was wondering about that leak too :eek: . Is it still there :confused:

Killearn Kitties
10-11-2005, 05:51 AM
I know it's a thought, but it does sound like you have made the right decision. We'll all be there with you in spirit!! :D Hope they don't charge extra for that ...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks so much everybody. It sure helps to have such a great support group. My mom had one (I think) of her para-thyroids removed years and years ago (almost 20 now? :eek: ?). I know she hated her scar and did everything she could to cover it up...then...and now you can't even see it....and I'm sure their techniques are much better these days too. I'm not even worried about the scar because winter, i.e. turtleneck season, is almost here and things should be good and healed before next summer, i.e. low cut season, comes around again. ;)

Freckles, the only question I have probably comes from only having one other surgery before in my life (tubal ligation 6 years ago). Will I feel like my throat has been ripped out for a few days? Or maybe like a truck ran over my neck? I've never broken a bone and only spent overnight in the hospital once long long long time ago - so long I just barely remember being there - so I just really don't know what to expect once it's over and done with. The thing I'm really looking forward to is that I'm going to tell my boss I need to keep talking to a minimum, which means I can't answer the phone every single time it rings. Hehehe <evil grin> ;) And yes, this is one part of the recovery that I'll milk as long as possible.

As for the questions on the motorhome....yes, it's the new motorhome that is still leaking hydraulic oil. We discovered it again on our way to Columbus last month for the rally. It happened after Terry put the cruise control on, so we thought back and everytime it happened the cruise control had been on. But of course, when the repair guys test drove it - with cruise control on - nothing happened. :rolleyes: And now they found a coolant leak too - small leak, but still a leak - so Terry has even more to worry about. :rolleyes: I said it's good that they discovered it so now they can fix it while it's there rather than us having to drag it all the way back there again. Didn't make him feel any better. :rolleyes:

Back to the thyroid. I'm not really worried about it, and am actually looking forward to it being gone, I just wish it would just disappear on its own rather than having to be surgically removed. But since that's not going to happen....

And yes, no turkey cooking for me this year! :D Maybe I'll give Terry directions on how to do it.....nah....not a good idea. ;)

Cataholic
10-11-2005, 09:43 AM
That is scary, but, overall, sounds like you will be better off! So, we must help you bite the bullet, and see you through this. Do you think Terry would be agreeable to a post-op tour of the country so we might all wish you well in person? (Once the leak is fixed, of course). :D

Freckles
10-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Sounds as if you are having more removed than me.

In my case, the wound area on my neck was uncovered and tender and I only touched it to clean it and put on a prescribed cream; it was not really painful. I did have a very sore throat for a few days, I think because of the tube down my throat. I kept a water bottle by my side and sipped often because it was easier to swallow that way. Can't recall how my voice behaved. Dr. removed the stitches about two weeks later.
I do recall the second day I had Olive Garden lasagna and that was really comfort food! :)

I even have a picture of what they removed, but I won't show you that! :D

Barbara
10-11-2005, 10:36 AM
I can understand that you are worrying. I hate people cutting parts of me- even if it is better when they come out. And the last thing you need is other persons who worry more than you - the reason why I didn't tell my parents about the brain tumor until 4 months later when I had to see them and I still had to wear bandanas to cover the bald spots in my hair ;) So I think it is good Terry has still all these leaks to worry about and cannot just concentrate on you ;)

But I also know people who survived this surgery and whose scars were so thin you couldn't even see them. Wait another 10 years and you will have more creases in your neck than just this scar. :p

And you better stay that night in hospital. With the one and only surgery in my life I felt so sick because of the anesthesia- it was the worst part of it.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

anna_66
10-11-2005, 10:46 AM
I just wish it would just disappear on its own rather than having to be surgically removed. But since that's not going to happen....
I didn't have my thyroid removed Debbie but they gave me a radioactive iodine pill (http://www.endocrinologist.com/Radioactive.html) . Is there any way of them doing that instead of the surgery? Don't know if that's an opion but I thought I'd throw it out there:)
I know how bad it is to not be able to swallow, it really sucks. Seems like you have something stuck in your throat all the time :o

Either way...GOOD LUCK!

lv4dogs
10-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Gosh how scary that must be. I'm sure everything will be fine though. Sorry can't be of more help. I wish you the best of luck.

Randi
10-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Debbie, an opeartion is quite scary, but once it's done, you'll feel so much better, and the techniques they use these days ... it'll be a piece of cake! :) OK, it may not feel so nice for the first few days, but then, you won't have to worry about it for the rest of your life. :) Terry will worry for sure, probably more than you, but just think about it, when you get back home, he'll spoil you rotten! Milk it the best you can! :D

You're a tough girl and I'm sure everything will be just fine! I'm sending you big hugs and best wishes for a succesful operation! :) And headbumpies from Fister.

ramanth
10-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Yikes! Good luck with the surgery!! *hugs*

gini
10-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Debbie, I just saw this thread. I haven't had time to be on Pet Talk much.
I am sorry that you are facing surgery - and of course,that can be scary.

I don't know a thing about your type of surgery - but some of the others do and it sounds as though you will be happy when it is all over - and feeling much better.

Just the same - I think some prayers to lay the groundwork for you are in order. You can count on mine that all goes well - and you can fully enjoy Christmas goodies without any fear assuming you will be well by then.

new mom to a veiled
10-11-2005, 03:40 PM
You will be in our thoughts and prayers. My Grandmother had the same surgery. She had no problems and was very happy with the results. :)

carole
10-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Debbie just popping in to wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery, any surgery is scarey, but it sounds as though it is inevitable and that you will be much better off in the long run, HUGS to you and I am sure you will be just fine.

ChrisH
10-12-2005, 08:19 AM
Debbie, I have only just seen this and I was sorry to read you will have to have surgery. I know I would find the prospect real scary so the fact that you don't makes you much braver than me! :)

Good luck! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

{{hugs}}
Chris

trayi52
10-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Debbie, I know it is a scary thought, but if it will make you feel better, then go for it. Like was said, let us do the worrying. My prayers and good thoughts are with you. ((((Hugs))))

Willie :)

furrykidsmother
10-12-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you need surgery, but I'm sure in the long run it will be well worth it. Best wishes and good thoughts to you.

Logan
10-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Anytime one has to go under anesthesia, it is worrisome, Debbie. I don't blame you for being nervous about it. I just hope that in the long run, you will be feeling better. :) We'll be keeping you in our prayers and hoping for the best possible results!!!!

Logan

Karen
10-12-2005, 11:53 AM
When my Dad was older than you are now, he had a "lump" on his throat removed. It was noncancerous, but prompted him to quit smoking for good because he knew they wouldn't let him have a cigarette in the recovery room, and well, it was as good an excuse as any. He told the doctor - "Hey, doc - there are already two nice deep lines on my neck (fair skin + years of sun + age) just cut along one of those, and no one will ever know!"

No visit with Sir Jury is fun, but it sounds as if this is the right thing to do. If you are nervous, ask your doctor's office for references from other patients of theirs who have had it done, so they can all reassure you that it's worth it!

Are you staying overnight? My recommendation? The biggest, goofiest slippers you can find. After the brain surgery I had ten years ago, I was in the hospital for a week, and was quickly known as "the girl with the tiger slippers" and people would grin whever they saw them. (They were giant tiger heads with plastic teeth so it looked like they were munching my ankles). Making people smile is always good!

sirrahbed
10-12-2005, 01:55 PM
aww Debbie - I know you must be scared. I agree that you need to milk this for all the attention you can get from Terry ;)

Hope it is done and over with quickly so you can heal up and get back to normal. I also have thyroid disease - Graves, but never nodules. That must be pretty uncomfortable as I had a goiter that would make me feel like I was choking and I hated that. Take care!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks again everyone. The doc just called again and I'll be meeting Sir Jury on 11-11-05. He says I need to go for a ton of testing before hand and I'll be inundated with informatin and paperwork between now and then - oh joy of joys. ;)

I was hoping for the week of Thanksgiving, but I guess that wasn't meant to be, so my boss is just going to have to deal with it I guess.

gini
10-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Debbie, there never is a "good" time for surgery. The most important thing is YOU! Your boss will be alright - don't worry.

Maybe by Thanksgiving you can enjoy the meal!! :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Maybe by Thanksgiving you can enjoy the meal!! :D

Yeah, still sick enough to get out of cooking, but well enough to eat it all. :) :cool: :D

slick
11-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Just bumping this up. Debbie is in sir jury now and later today I will call the hospital to see that everything is OK....although with past experience, God only knows if they will tell me anything.

Good luck Debbie.

Randi
11-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Slick, it's so nice of you to call them - hopefully they'll tell you she's fine. :) Can you find out whether there's an e-mail address we can send to?

Oh, I hope it goes well!!

Good luck, Debbie!! :)

Barbara
11-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of Debbie today too- I am glad you'll try to call her, Slick.

slick
11-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Unfortunately there is no email address there where we can send messages. Besides, she's only in overnight and Terry will take her home tomorrow. If I can't get any info from the hospital, I might call Terry tonight and get some details.

ramanth
11-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Lots of thoughts and healing vibes for Debbie. Hope the procedure is quick.

Pawsitive Thinking
11-11-2005, 10:35 AM
"Better out than in" as my dear old Dad would say (about most things!).

On a more serious note, I hope all goes well for you - you'll have PT right behind you

.sarah
11-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Oh man, that's really scary. I have a lump/nodule too and the doctors have been monitoring it for over a year. It hasn't gotten bigger. On bloodwork my thyroid is always out of wack but on other tests it's fine. They can't figure out what's wrong. :(

Killearn Kitties
11-11-2005, 10:41 AM
I've been thinking about Debbie. I'll keep checking back to see if there is any news.

momoffuzzyfaces
11-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Prayers on the way and fingers crossed for Debbie and Terry too.

Corinna
11-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Praying for Debbie and Terry .
SLICK , thanks for the fallow up you'll do and do so well.

gini
11-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Prayers are being sent Debbie and Terry's way...............let's hope Debbie has a very speedy recovery and
can fully enjoy Thanksgiving!

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Hi God ~

You're wiff Miz Debbie anna Sir Jury Guys, right?

Good - knew we kuld lount on You ta be Helpin out!

An You better *hang onta* poor ole Terry ...
he's a *wurrier* an is gonna need sum Help ta get thru this, too!

Please give Deb a big {{{HUG}}} frum allua us -
an let her know we'z all Krossin Pawz & Klawz that she'll be
jest *fine & dandie* an onna way Home reel soon.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Three Prayer Pups anna Purrayer Kat

Rachel
11-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Debbie, you are in my thoughts and prayers today too. Thanks Slick for posting. I hope you will be able to talk to Terry.

koxka
11-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Thinking and sending healing vibes,across de pond, for Debbie. Hope everything goes smoothly and feel better real soon :)

slick
11-11-2005, 05:13 PM
I spoke directly to her nurse and she is doing just fine. She was up a while ago, then took two tylenol and is now sleeping so I just left a message that I had called.

I couldn't believe how nice the nurse was and she was willing to give me any information I wanted. :eek: Why couldn't Kelly have been in that hospital instead?? :(

Have a good night's rest Debbie....I'm sure Terry and the furry nurses are anxiously waiting to get you back home as soon as possible.

xoxo

Killearn Kitties
11-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks Slick! I'm very pleased that Debbie is comfortable and I'm looking forward to having her back here. :D

Cinder & Smoke
11-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Hi God ~

THANKS fur takin such good care of Miz Debbie tuday ...

Now, about Mr. Terry ...
He's prolly a baskit case - maybe a lil {{{God'sHUGG}}} fur him?

We'll keep allua Pawz & Klawz Krossed till we hear dat
they're BOTH Home & Okey-Dokie!

THANKS agin, God!

/s/ Prayer Pups & Kat

Lillycat
11-11-2005, 06:40 PM
take care and get well soon!!!

Laura's Babies
11-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Debbie, hope you are up and back to normal (whatever that is! :D ) Soon! Good thought and vibes coming from the Sunny South for you!!

Slick, thanks so much for the update!

Craftlady
11-11-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm glad to read she is doing well after the operation. I'm sure the furry nurses are anixous to take care of her when she comes home tomorrow.

Corinna
11-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks Slick . Prayers for Terry to be calm.

krazyaboutkatz
11-11-2005, 11:15 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Debbie is doing well. I hope you have a speedy recovery Debbie. Thanks for the update Slick. :)

AmberLee
11-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Thank you for the update, Slick.

:D

Ally Cat's Mommy
11-12-2005, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the update!

I'm glad the op went wel - I am sure Debbie is very anxious to get home and let the furry nurses and Terry fuss over her and make her better!!!

ChrisH
11-12-2005, 04:25 AM
Debbie, I'm so happy that the surgery went well. Prayers, postive thoughts and all that stuff for a full and speedy recovery. {{hugs}}

Thanks for the updates, Slick, {{hugs}} to you too. :)

Randi
11-12-2005, 08:11 AM
That's wonderful news, Slick! :) Thanks a lot for keeping us updated.

Debbie, I'm so glad it went well, you're probably already home by now. Let Terry spoil you rotten, he needs to be occupied - so milk it to the limit! ;)

Sending lots of hugs and hope you'll have a speedy recovery - also headbumpies from Fister.

gini
11-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Just checking in again to see how Debbie is doing.

Slick, thanks for the update on Debbie from yesterday.

We all send our love and prayers for a speedy recovery.

sirrahbed
11-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Checking in on Debbie....it is so good to read the update - thanks slick! The pup prayers are so sweet Phred....hope to soon read that Terry has her home again and all is well :)

Barbara
11-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the good news Slick!
Debbie. I know you'll be better every day- and I hope that's true for Terry as well ;)

slick
11-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, I just called the hospital again hoping to get an uppydate but she's already discharged and on her way home.

Check in when you can Debbie. :)

Killearn Kitties
11-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks Slick! :D

Hope those furry nurses look after you, Debbie. I'm sure Terry will have briefed them on what you need. ;) :D

anna_66
11-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear that everything went well and Debbie is doing fine. Thanks for the update Slick:)
Hope to hear from you soon Debbie!

Soapets
11-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I know it's scary, but I'm sure you'll do fine. I had my entire thyroid removed during a six-hour procedure on July 21, 1995. Mine was enlarged and narrowing my trachea, to the point I was constantly having some coughing and shortness of breath. They had been diagnosing bronchitis off and on for several months, and finally did a chest x-ray and found out what it really was. It was growing inward, not outward, so they hadn't caught it earlier.

They also found a bunch of enlarged lymph nodes in my system, which they did a biopsy on, and diagnosed me with sarcoidosis.

One of the main risk factors they warned me of was that they could possibly nick my vocal cords during the procedure, which might cause me to sound "hoarse" when I talked. That did not happen, and my voice is fine, and I have been on Synthroid ever since.

I had to stay in the hospital for two nights, and the worst part of the experience for me was a terribly sore throat from the tube being put in to keep me breathing during the surgery.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, that everything goes well. Please keep us updated.....

Deb

Vermontcat
11-12-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm sorry that I didn't see this until now.
I'm glad that the surgery went well and that you are recovering at home now.
I hope you're feeling better real soon! :)

RobiLee
11-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Glad to hear the surgery went well. I'll be sending positive healing thoughts your way, Debbie.

LoudLou
11-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Glad to hear Sir Jury went well. LOUD Louie & The Beans send you Get Well headbumpies and Wigglebutts.

popcornbird
11-12-2005, 06:07 PM
OMG. I've been so busy I only JUST saw this thread now. Prayers for you, Debbie. Glad to hear the surgery went well, and that you are on the road for recovery now! {{{hugs}}}

Daisy and Delilah
11-12-2005, 06:17 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you Debbie(with Terry too). Glad to hear it went well. :) I'm hoping for a speedy recovery.

Rachel
11-12-2005, 10:14 PM
We are glad that you were able to come home so quickly, although I doubt that you feel that great right now. Don't let that scare you though. Your body has been through quite an *assault* so I'm thinking that you are still in the adjustment mode. Just keep your mind on how good it is to have the worst part over and done with. Tell Terry if he needs any help worrying, I'm a professional.

pitc9
11-13-2005, 09:04 AM
My sister has her entire thyroid removed a year ago this week, she has cancer. Went though the low iodine diet, radio-iodine pills, and is on Synthroid for ever. She was very horse after the operation for a while. But is back to normal now!
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!!
Just not too fast...we wouldn't want you to have to cook the Turkey!! ;)

cyber-sibes
11-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Sending you prayers that you heal up from surgery right quick, faster than you can say "gobble gobble gobble"! ;)

RICHARD
11-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Glad to hear that the Debster is doing well....

Between Kelly, Debbie and Phred....that is it....

NO MORE HOSPITAL STAYS FOR ANYONE ON PT.......

At least until the end of the year!!!

Soapets
11-13-2005, 09:07 PM
Still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! Your mind will probably be wanting you to get back to "normal" a LOT quicker than your body will wanting to get back to "normal"! Just hang in there, get lots of rest, and let others wait on you for awhile! :)

Deb

slick
11-13-2005, 09:17 PM
I have not heard from Debbie at all and I have not attempted to call.....just letting her rest. Her Mom is there looking after her while Terry is gone during the day. I'll send an email tonight.

kimlovescats
11-14-2005, 12:59 AM
My goodness ... I am JUST NOW seeing this post!!! :rolleyes:
Debbie I'm sorry you have had to go through this, but relieved to know that the procedure went well, and you are back resting at home!

Hugs,
Kim

koxka
11-14-2005, 02:33 AM
Just checking in for news. :)

How are you doing Debbie? ;)

koxka
11-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Somebody has any news from Debbie? :)

momoffuzzyfaces
11-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Somebody has any news from Debbie? :)
I've been wondering this too!
Debbie I hope you are doing well! :)

gini
11-14-2005, 04:47 PM
I have had Debbie on my mind as well...........I sure hope that you are feeling better today Debbie.

Most of all I hope that you are able to rest comfortably and you are being spoiled rotten by your Mom and Terry.

slick
11-14-2005, 09:46 PM
I got an answer from Debbie! Yeah!!!! She is doing fine and concentrating on recuperating. She said that today was the first time she felt like getting on the computer. Terry is busy at the trade show but her Mom is there and of course the furry nurses. Word has it that a certain little orangie boy is more of a snuggle boy than anticipated. :)

She also said that she might log back on to PT tomorrow or Wednesday depending how she feels.

Hurry back Debbie. We miss you.

gini
11-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Now that is good news!! Debbie, you haven't been snuggled until you have been snuggled by an orange boy!

Now you will heal more rapidly for sure!

Slick, thanks so much for the update!

trayi52
11-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Good to hear the surgery went well for you, Debbie. I'm sending lots of healing prayers and healing thoughts to you, so please get well soon.

Willie :)

Rachel
11-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Debbie, I too am hoping that each day is giving you a bit more strength and that you soon will be back here to fill us in on how you are doing.

Barbara
11-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Slick, thanks for the news. Furry kisses from Filou and Tigris for you Debbie :) :) :)

lizbud
11-15-2005, 10:22 AM
I am very happy to hear good news on Debbie's recovery. Just takes
time & plenty of rest. Hope each day is a little better than the last. :)

lv4dogs
11-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Sending you speedy recovery thoughts.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Thank you so much everyone! Yes, the surgery went well and everyday I feel better, although I'm realizing I still can't make it through the night without a tylenol booster. ;) I'm actually at work right now. My mom and I drove in so I could do payroll, but we won't be staying long. As is to be expected, I tire quickly but I didn't want the boss to have to worry about - and screw up - payroll. ;)

I will add more later, and I thank everyone for all the thoughts and prayers, but hope everyone is concentrating much more on Phred. His situation is much more critical than mine right now.

{{{hugs}}} to you all! :)

sirrahbed
11-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Nice to hear directly from you Debbie!! Oh so glad the surgery is behind you and now you just can rest up and get strong again. Take care!! :)

Logan
11-15-2005, 11:05 AM
I am finding it hard to believe that you have gone to work, but I have been in charge of payroll before, so I know exactly why you needed to go!!!

Please rest up, my friend, and save your strength, and enjoy being waited on!!! And especially enjoy those snuggles with that orange boy!!!! :)

Much love and prayer to you.

Logan

momoffuzzyfaces
11-15-2005, 11:21 AM
WELCOME BACK DEBBIE!!!!

Glad you are up and at em again but take care and don't over do! :D
Let Terry cook the turkey next week. :D

krazyaboutkatz
11-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Debbie, I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. Now please rest and do everything that your doctor tells you. Enjoy a nice relaxing and happy Thanksgiving too. :)

ChrisH
11-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Debbie, so good to hear from you and know you're doing pretty well. :D
{{hugs}]
Chris

Randi
11-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Debbie, it's so good to hear from you, Glad you're on the mend, but please take it easy!

Sending lots of healing thoughts to you and hugs. :)

ramanth
11-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Welcome back Debbie! Glad to hear the surgery went well and the recovery is going smoothly.

koxka
11-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Yay! My favourite girl is doing well. :D

Take is easy and let you spoil rotten. ;)

Soapets
11-15-2005, 09:13 PM
Yes, welcome back! :) Your mind is going to be wanting to get back to work a lot sooner than your body's physical system is. If you can do some mental work without tiring out physically too much, it will probably ease your mind and help you rest better when you are at home. I know you will continue to heal every day.

How does your throat feel from having the tube in? (THAT was the worst thing for me when I had my thyroid removed.)

Deb

gini
11-16-2005, 01:29 AM
My goodness what a great evening.............Carole's husband has his job back, Phred is home and Debbie is on the mend.

I call that a banner evening.....................

Debbie, I am so glad that you are feeling so good, so soon. Please don't over do it though - and give yourself the rest that you need to be back feeling 100%

It sure was good to see your post though!

Barbara
11-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Working???? Oh Debbie talk about compulsive! ;) :D (Although all your co-workers will appreciate that you helped them to get paid in time ;))

Still hope the furries and Terry take good care of you :) and wishing you an even speedier recovery.

lbaker
11-16-2005, 08:01 AM
For Phred, Debbie, Kelly and all the others that have been having such a rough road lately... things finally may be looking up? Maybe this is what Thanksgiving is REALLY all about ~ not turkeys and trimming but giving Thanks for what we have been though and are surviving through... and for our friends, two legger and four legger :D

RobiLee
11-16-2005, 08:01 AM
It's so good to hear from you, Debbie. Glad to hear you are on the mend and hope you are feeling yourself real soon. Take care!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-16-2005, 11:38 AM
How does your throat feel from having the tube in? (THAT was the worst thing for me when I had my thyroid removed.)

Now that I'm on the mend and can look back at the first day or two after surgery, I'd have to say that that tube is the WORST thing in the world! If it wasn't for that, I'd have felt much better much sooner! I can't believe that we can put a man on the moon, we have drugs that cure most any disease and we're making great progress on curing previously uncurable diseases, and yet we still have this stupid plastic tube that has to be put down our throats during surgery. I can't believe someone hasn't come up with some softer plastic, or a different way of doing things so it's not so intrusive. Anyway, that's my rant for the hospital.

Other than that, things have been going well. My mom left this morning, which is another sign that things are going well. I can only say good things about the hospital and my doctor. Every single one of my nurses was pleasant, friendly and caring. After reading Kelly's stories and with some previous experience observing nurses with my parents, I was totally taken aback and just how nice everyone was! No battle axe nurses here. ;) I think Slick said it earlier in this thread - but I sure wish Kelly could go to this hospital.....

Another thing I discovered was that everyone just loves my doctor and says he is the BEST! The girl that wheeled me from the pre-anesthesia room to the pre-operating room said she had the same exact surgery 8 years ago by the same doc and she couldn't be more pleased with the results. Everyone just ranted and raved about how good he was, how fine his sutures are, what a great guy he is, what good work he does and generally, just what a wonderful doc he is! He really never says a whole lot during out appointments, so I guess I didn't really know him before this, but boy am I glad I lucked out and got him! :D

I found out that at work my computer screen is a bit high and I have to lift my chin to see it properly, so my neck is a bit sore today from lifting it yesterday. Will have to bring the screen down a bit when I go back tomorrow for a few hours. I finally slept the night through last night with no additional tylenol needed, and I haven't needed any "booster" tylenol today yet either, the area is starting to turn an awful sickly yellow color, which means it's healing, and it's starting to itch - all good signs that I'm on the mend.

Thank you all so much for all your thoughts and prayers. :)

Barbara
11-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all that update. Oh yeah, a tube... I don't want to imagine how that is as I am fainting when I'm threatened by an injection.

You have all my compassion.

And don't overdo it with work.

Killearn Kitties
11-16-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm glad everything seems to have gone so smoothly and you are starting to feel better.

There was mention earlier in the thread about your recovery being aided by a cuddly orange boy. Now who was that??? :D :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-16-2005, 03:47 PM
There was mention earlier in the thread about your recovery being aided by a cuddly orange boy. Now who was that??? :D :D

The quality is not that good because it was taken with Terry's cell phone camera, and it's attached because I'm still getting my computer back up and running and didn't want to take the time to insert it properly, but I think it'll do the job. :D

lbaker
11-16-2005, 04:13 PM
awwwwww!awwwwww!!!!awwwwwww!!!!! :D :D

Lobodeb
11-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I feel terrible! I didn't know that you had already had your surgery. :eek: :confused:

I don't know how I missed this, but now that I'm all caught up on reading what happend, I'm glad to hear that all went well and that your well on your way to recovery.

I hope the hospital I go to has those little orange and white recovery pillows! :D

Corinna
11-16-2005, 04:31 PM
What a great looking nurse you have there . Glad things are going well for you.

Freckles
11-16-2005, 05:05 PM
I'd have to say that that tube is the WORST thing in the world! Sipping often from a water bottle helped me. Kind of lubricated when I swallowed. Jello was my breakfast (not oatmeal) and that tasted great (really).

Killearn Kitties
11-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww! Look at that cute orange nose!

gini
11-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Oh Debbie, if that isn't one of the cutest pictures I have ever seen.

Orange boys - there is nothing - absolutely nothing quite like them!!

Rachel
11-16-2005, 08:36 PM
Sweetie CJ. Looks like he had the best medicine available. Glad that you are doing so well, Debbie, but don't go back to work before you are able to put up with you know who.

krazyaboutkatz
11-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Debbie, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better and that CJ is being such a good little furry nurse. That picture is so adorable. :)

kimlovescats
11-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi Debbie ... so glad to see you there with CJ with a nice smile on your face. Sore throats are the pits, I don't even want to imagine how painful that tube made yours! I'm glad it's starting to feel better now, and everything else went well for you!

Welcome back!
Hugs,
Kim :)

Cinder & Smoke
11-17-2005, 02:38 AM
Hey, Babe,

You're lookin *fine*!!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=24852

Maya & Inka's mommy
11-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Happy to see you back home and posting!! Please don't overdo things, okey!!

He he, nothing better than a few cat-nurses on your bed, right ;) :o http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20915%20cat_in_bed.gif

Maya & Inkawarming up mommy's legs ;)
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/poezen%20zorgen%20voor%20zieke%20mama%203.jpg

Get better soon, Debbie!!!

Barbara
11-17-2005, 04:01 AM
Aaawww- you have to admit that lying there with an undercover CJ nearly made it worth it ;)

Randi
11-17-2005, 04:09 AM
Oh Debbie, that tube must have felt horricfic! :( But it's great see you're getting better and enjoying cuddles. :D That picture is so precious! :p

Take it easy and keep getting better!

cyber-sibes
11-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Glad to hear the surgery went well and you are in such capable paws for your recovery! ;)

Craftlady
11-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Glad to read your feeling better. Love your snuggle buddy :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-17-2005, 10:06 AM
One more picture. You'll have to excuse my loveliness, but hey, I just had surgery! ;) It's like I have some sort of necklace on. The balloons are from one of my best friends. :D

gini
11-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Oh, Deb, necklace indeed! Wow! I think you look great for just having had major surgery.

I think this Thanksgiving that all of us at Pet Talk will have a lot to be thankful for. You and Phred on the mend.............are two people that come to mind!!

slick
11-17-2005, 11:04 AM
:eek: :eek: Woa....Debbie....that picture gives me the heebies along with a major case of the jeebies! **shakes**

So glad to hear that you are on the mend and those furry nurses are doing their job. Terry....since you are home today I think you should be catering to "Her Loveliness".....can you cook, clean and scoop?? ;) :D

Cinder & Smoke
11-17-2005, 11:36 AM
You'll have to excuse my loveliness,
but hey,
I just had surgery! ;)

Wonder if that line would work for ME?
(Prolly NOT!)

Looks like you got a "bigger" slit than I did ...
but where's your BRUISES??

This bein a "Fambly Site" - I'll refrain from shootin any "scar pix" -
but I've got the most "lovely" multi-color BRUISEs
below the waist and stretching from hip-to-hip! :eek:
Doc said "You ain't seen nuthin, YET ...
every color of the rainbow will come & go before that bruise goes away!"

Did they give you some sort of "Scar Creme" to rub on to minimize the scar?

In the meantime - you'll look great in a Scarf!! ;)

ramanth
11-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Yowie! A co-worker here who recently retired had thyroid surgery too. Her recovery is slow however and when she last visited she still had to have a tube put back in. :(

Hope your recovery goes quickly! How sweet of CJ to look after you. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Wonder if that line would work for ME?
(Prolly NOT!)

Looks like you got a "bigger" slit than I did ...
but where's your BRUISES??

Oddly enough, the worst bruise is on my left hand where the IV went in. And also oddly enough, the only other place a bruise has showed up is in the crook of my right elbow. Guess the blood drained from my neck down my arm and settled in my elbow....eeeewwww! My neck seems a little yellow underneath the scar, but I'm surprised myself that the scaring is so minimal. They haven't given me anything for the scarring, but I'm to keep the bandage on until Dec 1 when I go back for my post-op checkup. Everyone was saying there won't be much of a scar - "his sutures are so fine!" We'll see. ;)

I agree that this might not be the place to show your scar ;) but I'm surprised you're so bruised. I do know once they start turning that [i]lovely[/b] shade of yellow, they're almost gone. :)

sasvermont
11-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Sorry I missed this entire event! Glad to hear things are working out just fine for you and that your recovery is going smoothly. Looks like a certain little kitty is enjoying having MOM home with him!
;)

K & L
11-22-2005, 01:41 PM
My goodness, I missed all of this also. Debbie I'm glad to hear all went well and sorry for the late reply. :o