PDA

View Full Version : Need some input

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 12:27 PM
I have a 10 year old daughter who has just been approved by our landlord to get a companion animal. A small to medium sized dog. Her pediatric neurologist believes that Marissa having a therapy animal will help her cope with her disablities.

I'd appreciate any input that you could give me, as far as what breed of dog to get. We live in a 4 bedroom apartment, and don't have a fenced in back yard. He/SHe will be walked everyday for exercise.

As you can see by signature, I have a toddler. I'd like a dog that will be good with a toddler.

Any suggestions?

My 10 year old's twin sister LOVES Siberian Huskies, but I don't think that they fall into the small-medium sized category. :confused:

CagneyDog
10-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Go to the shelter and rescue an animal!

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Go to the shelter and rescue an animal!

I am. lol

I want to know what KIND of dog to get. What would be BEST for my family.

I don't work out of the home, so I'm home all day.

Roxyluvsme13
10-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Shelters have all kinds of dogs...so I would suggest just going there, and looking at the small-medium dogs and seeing how they react with all your children.

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks.

So there are no breeds in particular that can be agressive with children, that I should be warned out?

:confused:

Christiansmommy
10-09-2005, 12:48 PM
The only medium size dog I had as a child was a miniture poodle. We also had standards and toys. Standards can be as small as 40 lbs...but males can be on the larger size. Now I have a giant breed, and that is not what you are looking for,so I won't even elaborate on Swissies, lol :)

As far as the poodles were, when I was growing up...they were raised with me and my brother since they were pups, so there were no issues. Getting a TOY poodle from a shelter, that may not have been raised with children, could be snippy with them. The miniture and standards have very loving personalities...standards in particular. They don't shed too, which is nice. Very easy to train too. Quick learners. Anyway, you may see a mix at a shelter or full bred...but reguardless, they are very nice tempermented dogs that I have had the experience of knowing and living with...I can't vouche for other breeds...but I do agree with going to the shelter and seeing which dog picks you and your kids...and which seems hesitant of young children, you would stay away from...good luck.

CagneyDog
10-09-2005, 12:49 PM
No, any dog can be agressive, there are no breeds as a whole that are aggressive.

I think poodles would be good for your family, what about King charles cavalier spaniels? http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cavalierkingcharlesspaniel.htm

Roxyluvsme13
10-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks.

So there are no breeds in particular that can be agressive with children, that I should be warned out?

:confused:
Well I Really think it would depend on the dog as to whether it would be child aggressive...but since you have a toddler, a toy breed might not be best, due to the fact of how fragile they are...Good Luck

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone!

There is a poodle mix that is up for adoption at a local shelter. He's neutered and just adorable.

Wanna see?

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/animal%20shelter/animals/dogs/poodlemix.htm

EDIT: Here's the husky that my daughter wants.

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/animal%20shelter/animals/dogs/husky.htm

wolf_Q
10-09-2005, 12:59 PM
My 10 year old's twin sister LOVES Siberian Huskies, but I don't think that they fall into the small-medium sized category. :confused:

I do not think a siberian husky would be good in your situation at all. They have a strong prey drive and a desire to run....I just can't imagine one being happy without a fenced yard to run in. They are medium-large size (40-60 lbs). They do usually love kids (mine does) but they may be too rambunctious and could knock them over, etc.

I would talk to some good rescue groups. Hopefully there are some near you that have dogs fostered in homes and have had them around children so they can tell you how they are with them.

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 12:59 PM
No, any dog can be agressive, there are no breeds as a whole that are aggressive.

I think poodles would be good for your family, what about King charles cavalier spaniels? http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cavalierkingcharlesspaniel.htm

Awww... they're adorable.

*puts King Charles Cavalier Spaniels on my list of potential dogs to look for*

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 01:00 PM
I do not think a siberian husky would be good in your situation at all. They have a strong prey drive and a desire to run....I just can't imagine one being happy without a fenced yard to run in. They are medium-large size (40-60 lbs). They do usually love kids (mine does) but they may be too rambunctious and could knock them over, etc.

I would talk to some good rescue groups. Hopefully there are some near you that have dogs fostered in homes and have had them around children so they can tell you how they are with them.

That's what I kind of figured.

I don't want to adopt a husky and have him unhappy. My daughter will just have to wait until she gets on her own to adopt a husky. :)

Uabassoon
10-09-2005, 01:00 PM
I think your best bet is to just take your children down to the shelter and have them meet all the dogs that fir your description until you find the right one. Every dog is different, is also depends on how they were socialized as puppies. I wouldn't suggest a toy breed because as stated above they are very fragile which might not be good idea if you have a toddler. You could easily find a nice mixed breed to fit your specifications. Also don't forget to look at dogs that are out of that puppy stage. Adult dogs are a lot more mellow than puppies which might be a good fit for your household.

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 01:03 PM
I think your best bet is to just take your children down to the shelter and have them meet all the dogs that fir your description until you find the right one. Every dog is different, is also depends on how they were socialized as puppies. I would suggest a toy breed because as stated above they are very fragile which might not be good idea if you have a toddler. You could easily find a nice mixed breed to fit your specifications. Also don't forget to look at dogs that are out of that puppy stage. Adult dogs are a lot more mellow than puppies which might be a good fit for your household.

That's basically what I'm looking for. A dog anywhere from 5 months to 5 year of age. THey have to be neutered so a puppy wouldn't fit our criteria. Besides there are adult dogs out there getting put to sleep because no one wants a "grown" dog, just a "cute little puppy". :(

Uabassoon
10-09-2005, 01:05 PM
That's basically what I'm looking for. A dog anywhere from 5 months to 5 year of age. THey have to be neutered so a puppy wouldn't fit our criteria. Besides there are adult dogs out there getting put to sleep because no one wants a "grown" dog, just a "cute little puppy". :(

That's great that you are looking to adopt an older dog! A few months ago my girlfriend and I adopted Payson, a 3 year old Jack Russell terrier mix who is just the sweetest dog I've ever met. We went to several shelters and met many different dogs before we met him and just knew that he was the perfect dog for us.

wolf_Q
10-09-2005, 01:05 PM
Have you tried www.petfinder.com ? Just put in dog, small size and your state and it will bring up a bunch of different dogs. :)

finn's mom
10-09-2005, 01:07 PM
There may be certain breeds that are better with children than others. But, I think part of the problem with telling you a certain breed, especially if you're going to rescue (which is wonderful!), is that a lot of the dogs will be mixed. So, it wouldn't be really possible to tell you which of the mixes will be better with your toddler and ten year old. I think it's wonderful that you are doing this! I would just suggest going online to petfinder and looking through there and actually going to the shelter yourself and then again with your children once you've narrowed the selection down. Once you've talked to the shelter people about what small/medium dogs they have that are known to be good with children and toddlers, then you can bring your two in to actually meet the dogs and see which dog the connection will be with. If you're dead-set on having a purebred, you can do a bit of research online and find small/medium breeds that are maybe better with kids than others...then see if there are any breed rescues that have a dog you can adopt. Of course, even then, you'd have to make sure that particular dog will like and be liked by your two kids. Are you looking for a puppy that you'll need to train or are you looking for an adult? You already know the size requirement, are you wanting a dog that will be calm or do you want a dog with more energy? Who's going to be walking the dog? Because even a small/medium sized dog can be difficult to walk if they're not properly leash trained or if they're being walked by a small, possibly physically weak child. I don't know the severity of your girl's disabilities, but, it's something to consider when choosing a dog. I'd be willing to help you look online today if you can be a bit more specific. I say today, because I'll be inside for the majority of it. ;) You can send me a private message if you'd like with your zip code (as that's asked for on www.petfinder.com )...and, I can help you look. But, it's an easy site to navigate, so, you can totally do it yourself if you'd rather. Good luck, no matter what you do!

I saw where you mentioned a puppy isn't really what you're looking for...sorry it took me a minute to type all this and i didn't see that response. :)

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Have you tried www.petfinder.com ? Just put in dog, small size and your state and it will bring up a bunch of different dogs. :)

lol yep. Did that already. All of them nearest don't have any small to medium sized dogs. All large.

Can a lab mix be considered a medium dog? I think he's lab/terrier mix.

finn's mom
10-09-2005, 01:23 PM
lol yep. Did that already. All of them nearest don't have any small to medium sized dogs. All large.

Can a lab mix be considered a medium dog? I think he's lab/terrier mix.

That's quite possible...I've even seen some full labs that are around 50 pounds...just small girls...but, are you looking for a dog with that kind of exercise requirement and energy level? Labs are extremely energetic and need constant daily exercise above and beyond a walk. And, mixed with a terrier, you may be dealing with a really energetic, stubborn dog. ;)

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I really have no interest in a pure bred dog. I've had "mutts" in the past, and they did just fine. But all of this was BEFORE I had children. lol
I've looked on petfinder.com
Zip code- 54660 OR 54656
At the Sparta Animal Shelter... The Cocker Spaniel named Joshua, isn't suitable for children the lady at the shelter told me.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5183603&adTarget=&SessionID=4349630b4b1bdae9-app2&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
My daughter is cognitively disabled, and has seizures.
In other words, she's 10 years old, but functions at the level of a 5-6 year old. She's also ODD and ADHD.

There may be certain breeds that are better with children than others. But, I think part of the problem with telling you a certain breed, especially if you're going to rescue (which is wonderful!), is that a lot of the dogs will be mixed. So, it wouldn't be really possible to tell you which of the mixes will be better with your toddler and ten year old. I think it's wonderful that you are doing this! I would just suggest going online to petfinder and looking through there and actually going to the shelter yourself and then again with your children once you've narrowed the selection down. Once you've talked to the shelter people about what small/medium dogs they have that are known to be good with children and toddlers, then you can bring your two in to actually meet the dogs and see which dog the connection will be with. If you're dead-set on having a purebred, you can do a bit of research online and find small/medium breeds that are maybe better with kids than others...then see if there are any breed rescues that have a dog you can adopt. Of course, even then, you'd have to make sure that particular dog will like and be liked by your two kids. Are you looking for a puppy that you'll need to train or are you looking for an adult? You already know the size requirement, are you wanting a dog that will be calm or do you want a dog with more energy? Who's going to be walking the dog? Because even a small/medium sized dog can be difficult to walk if they're not properly leash trained or if they're being walked by a small, possibly physically weak child. I don't know the severity of your girl's disabilities, but, it's something to consider when choosing a dog. I'd be willing to help you look online today if you can be a bit more specific. I say today, because I'll be inside for the majority of it. ;) You can send me a private message if you'd like with your zip code (as that's asked for on www.petfinder.com )...and, I can help you look. But, it's an easy site to navigate, so, you can totally do it yourself if you'd rather. Good luck, no matter what you do!

I saw where you mentioned a puppy isn't really what you're looking for...sorry it took me a minute to type all this and i didn't see that response. :)

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 01:35 PM
That's quite possible...I've even seen some full labs that are around 50 pounds...just small girls...but, are you looking for a dog with that kind of exercise requirement and energy level? Labs are extremely energetic and need constant daily exercise above and beyond a walk. And, mixed with a terrier, you may be dealing with a really energetic, stubborn dog. ;)

LOL Oh oh, better stay away from that kind then. LOL

On petfinder.com, there is a dog named Mike at the Sparta ANimal Shelter that the kids and I were gazing at. :)

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5197069&adTarget=&SessionID=4349630b4b1bdae9-app2&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

finn's mom
10-09-2005, 01:39 PM
I really have no interest in a pure bred dog. I've had "mutts" in the past, and they did just fine. But all of this was BEFORE I had children. lol
I've looked on petfinder.com
Zip code- 54660 OR 54656
At the Sparta Animal Shelter... The Cocker Spaniel named Joshua, isn't suitable for children the lady at the shelter told me.
My daughter is cognitively disabled, and has seizures.
In other words, she's 10 years old, but functions at the level of a 5-6 year old. She's also ODD and ADHD.

Well, the only reason I said anything about purebreds, is cuz you asked about specific breeds. ;) Nothing wrong with a purebred, I've seen purebreds at the pound that need a home just as bad as the mutties...I love them all! ;) Yeah, cockers aren't always the best with little ones, from my experiences. I've been told, actually, that Spaniels aren't really that awesome with kids, but, I don't know that from personal experience. I do know that Cockers can be a bit jealous and nippy, from personal experience. They're great dogs, don't get me wrong, but, maybe not suitable for your situation. Is there a way for you to apply for an actual therapy dog? I don't know how you would go about it or what the rules and requirements are, but, it's just a thought that came to mind. I'm sure you've thought of it, though, and, I imagine it's expensive to acquire a dog as well trained as a service dog has to be. I don't know what those acronyms mean, but, from the sound of it, you'd be walking the dog, so, your daughter's ability to walk her by herself doesn't sound like it's something that needs to be taken into consideration...

you will find the perfect dog, it just may take some time! keep us posted on how it goes!

finn's mom
10-09-2005, 01:41 PM
LOL Oh oh, better stay away from that kind then. LOL

On petfinder.com, there is a dog named Mike at the Sparta ANimal Shelter that the kids and I were gazing at. :)

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5197069&adTarget=&SessionID=4349630b4b1bdae9-app2&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Oh, he's adorable! He will probably needs lots of training, and, he may be extremely energetic, even as an adult. But, especially being that young, he looks to be quite a handful...

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Oh, he's adorable! He will probably needs lots of training, and, he may be extremely energetic, even as an adult. But, especially being that young, he looks to be quite a handful...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. But he's SOOOOO darn cute!!! lol

What about a boxer? His name is Ranger. Gotta love him.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5183677&adTarget=&SessionID=4349630b4b1bdae9-app2&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 01:46 PM
I already tried, and they won't cover it, becuase it's a "companion animal". I however, MAY get financial aid to help cover the cost of it's adoption, altering, vaccines, licensing, etc.

I've never had a purebred before. lol Guess I always that that $400-500 for a dog was too much. lol

Well, the only reason I said anything about purebreds, is cuz you asked about specific breeds. ;) Nothing wrong with a purebred, I've seen purebreds at the pound that need a home just as bad as the mutties...I love them all! ;) Yeah, cockers aren't always the best with little ones, from my experiences. I've been told, actually, that Spaniels aren't really that awesome with kids, but, I don't know that from personal experience. I do know that Cockers can be a bit jealous and nippy, from personal experience. They're great dogs, don't get me wrong, but, maybe not suitable for your situation. Is there a way for you to apply for an actual therapy dog? I don't know how you would go about it or what the rules and requirements are, but, it's just a thought that came to mind. I'm sure you've thought of it, though, and, I imagine it's expensive to acquire a dog as well trained as a service dog has to be. I don't know what those acronyms mean, but, from the sound of it, you'd be walking the dog, so, your daughter's ability to walk her by herself doesn't sound like it's something that needs to be taken into consideration...

you will find the perfect dog, it just may take some time! keep us posted on how it goes!

Karen
10-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Really how energetic and how good with kids varies a lot dog to dog. And I would consider a lab/terrier to be a medium-sized dog ...

Really visiting the shelter with at least the ten-year-old, then a "trial visit" with the two-year old, to see who appeals to you, would probably be best. So many of the animals featured on http://Dogoftheday.com , http://Catoftheday.com and http://Petoftheday.com start with "Well, I went to the shelter looking for a (fill in the blank, for example I'll use) small black cat, and came home with this big white dog and couldn't be happier" - you never know what will happen until you get there!

finn's mom
10-09-2005, 01:49 PM
I already tried, and they won't cover it, becuase it's a "companion animal". I however, MAY get financial aid to help cover the cost of it's adoption, altering, vaccines, licensing, etc.

I've never had a purebred before. lol Guess I always that that $400-500 for a dog was too much. lol

Yeah, I'm not saying buying a purebred, just adopting one from the pound or from a rescue. They're not going to cost more at the shelter than a mutt. The individual rescues will probably charge more, but, I don't think they charge as much as a breeder would for a puppy. Good luck, either way!

finn's mom
10-09-2005, 01:51 PM
So many of the animals featured on http://Dogoftheday.com , http://Catoftheday.com and http://Petoftheday.com start with "Well, I went to the shelter looking for a (fill in the blank, for example I'll use) small black cat, and came home with this big white dog and couldn't be happier" - you never know what will happen until you get there!

hee hee, that's so true! i know i went to office max with my boyfriend at the time to get some computer paper, and, came home with finn. :rolleyes: (not the best place to get a pup, across the street from a shopping center, but, hey. we can't help who we fall in love with, and, who picks us.)

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 02:16 PM
hee hee, that's so true! i know i went to office max with my boyfriend at the time to get some computer paper, and, came home with finn. :rolleyes: (not the best place to get a pup, across the street from a shopping center, but, hey. we can't help who we fall in love with, and, who picks us.)

Finn is pretty darn cute! ;) :D

finn's mom
10-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Finn is pretty darn cute! ;) :D

thank you, he's my bud. :)

Corinna
10-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Might I make a suggestion before getting your daughter a dog Please check around in your aera for Places (usually prisons) that train alert dogs. I have just had to have my alert dog PTS becouse of cancer, but he self trained himself as my alert dog. I have diabetes and he couldd tell when I was going too low or too high and had different ways of letting me know ahead of time.
If you can find a trainer who could go with you and test for you would be best. They also have dogs avalible lots of times.
The womens prison in Washington (Purdy womens) trains lots of dogs each year. Some where I think we had a thread on them a year or so back. (anyone else remember it?) My family worried less about me when Merlin was around , I'm saving to get a boxer to train myself. Good luck on finding what you need.

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 02:40 PM
I used to have a Golden Retriever/ Terrier mix named Tessa. Unfortunately we had to surrender her, when we had to move. We miss her and wish that we could get her back. But... She's living a pretty good life with a truck driver going from state to state. :D

EDIT:

I thought I'd better explain WHY we had to give Tessa up.
I was experiencing SEVERE depression, because my ex husband wasn't paying child support, and the job I had was only part time. I TRIED to find a full time job, by the time I landed one, it was too late. I was too far behind in rent. And with five children to take care, I just couldn't keep up with the rent. I lost everything on November 19th, 2002.

My trusting and loyal friend, Tessa, and my five children to foster care. I have since then gotten my children back, minus my son, who couldn't come home. (He was adopted by his foster parents in January of this year).

I hope that you'll understand all of this and won't judge me.

Where I live now is low income housing, based on our income, so we have NO dangers of being homeless again.

jackie
10-09-2005, 02:43 PM
I was just looking at the Petfinder. Look at this cutieHerachio (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5183637&adTarget=&SessionID=43496f60320320b8-app1&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=)
Herachio is a male Beagle mix. that was found in Melvina. Super friendly dog. Adopt 10/8/05

She sounds great Coco (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4792167&adTarget=&SessionID=434970ad49e1b1a7-app3&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=)
Coco is a Spayed female who is 3-4 yrs old. Coco is excellent with other dogs. She is use to being around two other dogs. She loves children and is very good with kids of all ages. She is a bit shy but warms up quickly. She listens very good and knows a few commands. She has a very nice personality. She likes to chase rabbits and squirrels- but has never been taught to hunt. She loves attention and to be brushed.

Shadow (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4972817&adTarget=&SessionID=434970ad49e1b1a7-app3&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=)
Shadow is a wonderful Black male who came to us from a Chicago Shelter with a high kill rate. He came in as a stray. He was totally matted and there was no chance that his coat could be saved. The poor guy actually had burrs embedded in his skin. He is a dog who has tons of love to give. He gets along well with other dogs and cats and was excellent for his grooming which must have been a painful experience for him. His totally housetrained. Shadow can be crated but will complain a bit for the first few minutes. He will chew on things so he must be supplied with appropriate toys to keep him busy.

These are the first few that caught my eye.

Please remember its just as important to teach your children how to behave with the new dog. Even the sweetest dog can snap if being constantly bothered or pulled at. It is probably a good idea to have a crate set up and open always so the dog can have a little "escape" when things get too much for him. Good Luck finding your new dog! :D

k9krazee
10-09-2005, 02:53 PM
I hope your search goes well!! Welcome to PT and please keep us updated!

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 03:06 PM
THanks! I will MOST definitely keep you posted. :)

beeniesmom
10-09-2005, 03:10 PM
I have two boston terriers and they are the sweetest dogs.
They are great and very patient with kids.
The only bad thing about them is that they don't care to be left alone.

You can do some research at: www.akc.org to see what characteristics better suit you and your family.

www.petfinder.con can help you find a dog in your area that needs to be rescued.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 03:15 PM
I called about Coco and it turns out that she is an outside dog and wouldn't be happy inside.
I was looking at Herachio before too. But... um... aren't Beagles loud barkers?

I was just looking at the Petfinder. Look at this cutieHerachio (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=5183637&adTarget=&SessionID=43496f60320320b8-app1&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=)
Herachio is a male Beagle mix. that was found in Melvina. Super friendly dog. Adopt 10/8/05

She sounds great Coco (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4792167&adTarget=&SessionID=434970ad49e1b1a7-app3&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=)
Coco is a Spayed female who is 3-4 yrs old. Coco is excellent with other dogs. She is use to being around two other dogs. She loves children and is very good with kids of all ages. She is a bit shy but warms up quickly. She listens very good and knows a few commands. She has a very nice personality. She likes to chase rabbits and squirrels- but has never been taught to hunt. She loves attention and to be brushed.

Shadow (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4972817&adTarget=&SessionID=434970ad49e1b1a7-app3&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=)
Shadow is a wonderful Black male who came to us from a Chicago Shelter with a high kill rate. He came in as a stray. He was totally matted and there was no chance that his coat could be saved. The poor guy actually had burrs embedded in his skin. He is a dog who has tons of love to give. He gets along well with other dogs and cats and was excellent for his grooming which must have been a painful experience for him. His totally housetrained. Shadow can be crated but will complain a bit for the first few minutes. He will chew on things so he must be supplied with appropriate toys to keep him busy.

These are the first few that caught my eye.

Please remember its just as important to teach your children how to behave with the new dog. Even the sweetest dog can snap if being constantly bothered or pulled at. It is probably a good idea to have a crate set up and open always so the dog can have a little "escape" when things get too much for him. Good Luck finding your new dog! :D

jackie
10-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Aren't small dogs ankle biters? LOL! :p You can never know if he is a barker or not unless you give them a call and check him out. Herachio looks adorable to me!

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Aren't small dogs ankle biters? LOL! :p You can never know if he is a barker or not unless you give them a call and check him out. Herachio looks adorable to me!
LOL

This is true... lol

luvofallhorses
10-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Hello and welcome to Pet Talk!! :) I don't think small dogs do well with children. I would consider getting a labrador retriever or a golden retriever, because they are very loyal(not saying dogs aren't loyal) and protective of their families especially children. :) I would go do a search for a shelter or rescue at http://www.petfinder.com ...good luck on your search and please keep us updated. :)

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Hello and welcome to Pet Talk!! :) I don't think small dogs do well with children. I would consider getting a labrador retriever or a golden retriever, because they are very loyal(not saying dogs aren't loyal) and protective of their families especially children. :) I would go do a search for a shelter or rescue at http://www.petfinder.com ...good luck on your search and please keep us updated. :)

I would LOVE to get a lab, but their not small-medium sized dogs. That's what the agreement said. I have to have a small-medium sized dog.

Of course, unless I can find a lab mixed with somethign smaller.
LIke... a terrier? :D

I LOVE HORSES too!!!! What breeds do you have?

lookin4caninecompanion
10-09-2005, 07:42 PM
What kind of breed of dog does this look like? I see lab, collie and maybe terrier?

http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/animal%20shelter/animals/dogs/redmix.htm